Any interest in a KAL/RAL?

DesertCrocheter

A what, you're thinking? Well, sort of a KAL, but we'd be reading instead! I threw out the suggestion in another post, had one interested comment, and thought I'd throw it out in its own post.

You may not know this (or you might!), but knitting has begun to be featured in a lot of ficiton and non-fiction books. Mystery series, stand alone fiction, meditations for women who knit too much (:lol). There's a lot more out there than Debbie Macomber's books (which I'm not going to suggest we read unless there's strong interest in doing so since my sister, who's in publishing, said these are way too saccharine for me and she knows my style well).

We could ease into it, starting for example, with Knit One, Kill Two, by Maggie Sefton, the first in a knitting mystery series. We could either read the whole series (not sure how many there are, maybe 3 or 4?), one a month, or the second month contrast it with the first in another knitting mystery series, Died in the Wool, by Mary Kruger. I'm suggesting these because they're easily available and both are in my public library, so they're probably in yours, too. But there's also Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Yarn Harlot or At Knit's End for non-fiction reads. I'd like to read Mason-Dixon Knitting, which is not at my library but might be at the used bookstore (or heck, I'll just buy it from Amazon).

I could start us off with one, coming up with some ideas for questions to discuss, and we could have different people lead different discussions? It'll only work if interested people really do read (I left one internet book group because 17 people voted to read a series over the course of a year, and 2 of us actually read the books--that's not fun at all, trust me!).

Any interest? And no, we don't have to knit what the character in the book is knitting, since in Knit one Kill Two the main character's second project is a sweater and I've only made one tank top-minimal seaming and no armholes really, just shaping, so that would be way beyond me! :P If there is, maybe we could start in February?

Patty

I would be interested in this. I love to read, and always like to try new types of books. A few years ago I read the series about quilting, the Elm Creek series, and found them to be very good books!

I would love to join. I have been wanting to read all the book series you have posted but my local library never has them in and I would have to get on a wait list. I guess Amazon here I come :D

I think we should read a whole series at a time. It's easier to get more absorbed in the Characters that way.

I'm surprised, Angie, that these books are never at your library, especially the first one in the series, it's several years old now. I may have to request my copy get shipped over from another library branch, but that only takes a few days.

Glad there's some interest! We don't have to start with the mysteries, they were just the first ones I thought of. :book Patty

I'm surprised, Angie, that these books are never at your library, especially the first one in the series, it's several years old now. I may have to request my copy get shipped over from another library branch, but that only takes a few days.

Glad there's some interest! We don't have to start with the mysteries, they were just the first ones I thought of. :book Patty

Well according to the computer catalogue they only have like 2 copies of each (and I don't think they have all of them) to be shared for the Whole of Ventura County. I would have to get on the wait list and then when avaliable wait for it to get sent to my local library.

Sign me up! I have read all the Debbie Macmber ones. Didn't think they were bad at all. Predictable 'Happy Endings' but the stories good.and the patterns at the end were a nice bonus. Maggie Sefton? I have only read one of hers...I think it was " A Deadly Yarn" But of course, while reading it , I discovered that there were other books AHEAD of that series.....But it was enjoyable anyway...I have ordered ( I think this one) Knit one Kill Two. But it had not arrived yet. Like it was stated above, knitting fiction is tough to locate in these parts....In fact the ones that my local library has.....are there because I donated them. :-) But anyhoo, I am interested in it! Great idea!!!

I would be interested in this.....I just read Needled to Death. It was pretty good. I think that book is number 2....am I right?

Other than Macomber and Sefton, does anyone know of other authors that are writing knitting fiction?

Well, here's a sample of titles from amazon that do incorporate knitting somehow into the story line: fiction: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, The Knitting Circle, A Novel by Ann Hood, Knitting, A Novel by Anne Bartlett, Knitting Under the Influence by Claire LeZebnik, plus a host of nonfiction like Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting, Sprituality and Creativity, or No Idle Hands: the Social History of Knitting, or Knitting Lessons: Tales from the Knitting Path or... You get the idea.

I would like to keep this as cost-friendly as possible so more people can participate, which is why I suggested starting with fiction. I've only read the first Maggie Sefton myself, but want to read the others and thought I'd just drag some of you along with me if I could finagle any of you into it! So cast a vote on which title you want to start with! Patty

The only one I have read is Debbie Macomber's A Good Yarn. I agree that is was a nice stroy but reminded me too much of a Harlequin Romance.

I'm open to any book chosen. I've really been wanting to read the Maggie Sefton series but I'll start anywhere.

I can't believe it...I went to the library, and they FINALLY had a Monica Ferris book there!!! It is "Hanging by a thread" This will be my first book from this author. I have heard great reviews on her style.

I want to throw out here an idea. I belong to http://www.paperbackswap.com this is a website that you can list your already read books, and trade with other readers like yourself. It is a free service, and had a search and 'wish list' function. You only pay postage if YOU mail to someone else. that is usually $2.30 Not a bad price considering the cost of books.

There is another website called..http://www.thebookcart.com but that one is more 'involved' when it comes to the money aspect.

Just some ideas.

Oh good, I'm so glad several of you are interested, because I think this will be a lot of fun. Shall we start with Knit One, Kill Two by Maggie Sefton then? How about we start on Feb. 1? That gives everyone a couple of weeks to request the book at their libraries or track it down. Then we can decide if we want to continue with the series (there are three more, with a new one to be published later this year in hardcover which we can decide later if we want to read) or maybe try regular fiction or a nonfiction book.

And if anyone has a suggestion on what they want to read, throw it out! I'd love to hear about other titles.

Patty

I just read The Friday Night Knitting Club. Yesterday, just as I was finishing it, I read that the author was going to be hosting a "knit-a-long" and speaking about her book at a library about 25 miles from me. It was too late for me to plan to be there, I wish I had known about it sooner!

If anyone wants to get on board to read that book, it is available at Target in soft cover. I have also read Debbie McComber's knitting stories and they were okay, but a little "formula". Truth be told, The Friday Night Knitting Club wasn't much different. Same story/different location. But I enjoyed it for a light read and it had lots of knitting in the story line.

Oh good, I'm so glad several of you are interested, because I think this will be a lot of fun. Shall we start with Knit One, Kill Two by Maggie Sefton then? How about we start on Feb. 1? That gives everyone a couple of weeks to request the book at their libraries or track it down. Then we can decide if we want to continue with the series (there are three more, with a new one to be published later this year in hardcover which we can decide later if we want to read) or maybe try regular fiction or a nonfiction book.

And if anyone has a suggestion on what they want to read, throw it out! I'd love to hear about other titles.

Patty

This sounds like an idea! Better yet, my local library has it, so I will pick it up.

Count me in, ladies!

I have already read most of the fiction titles you have listed. I agree that Macomber is saccharine and predictable, but I enjoyed her books. The Circle and Club were about knitters coming together to help after a tragedy, so there first had to be a tragedy. Kind of a downer if you're looking for a light, fun read.

I liked the Ferris series, too. Lots of info on running a yarn shop.

I have a Sefton library book to read at lunch time, A Killer Stitch. I grabbed it, but it's #4 in the series. It was the only one at the library when I was there. I will request the rest and join in here.

Got mine! I'll start it as soon as I finish reading Emma (I'm in a Jane Austen frame of mind as I watch Masterpiece Theater every week right now), but I've read both Emma and Knit One, Kill Two, so I can probably read them a little faster than I normally do. I'll start a new thread with some discussion questions as soon as I finish it. This is going to be fun! :book Patty

Archived