CLLinda

How large do you make the round ripples?

I am starting a rr for the county fair and was wondering how large it should be?

I am thinking from point to point about 60 inches. I was just wondering what other people do. It's made of ww yarn with a size k hook. I am using red, white and blue yarn.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

:manyheart

I've seen some made to 60 inches point to point, and I've seen some that were made up to 80 inches point to point. It really depends on it's intended use. If it's for a couch cover, it doesn't need to be as large as say a bed cover or snuggle up blanket.

My first RR was something like 62 inches (it is on the back of my sofa). The one I am working on now I will make at least 75 inches maybe more, point to point (I want to use this one to lay on top of my bed).

I just finished one out of Peaches n Creme cotton, I made it as a floor blankey for my Neices baby, so I only made it about 47" across...took two balls of cotton.... it just needed to be big enough to lay the baby down on the floor to play...

Like any other afgahn,there is really no "right" size, you make it as big as youwant or need it to be. When it looks good to you, it's the "right" size.

The two I made were baby blankets, so were about 32-34" across. I'd love to make a bigger one, but the rounds keep getting longer... and longer... and longer...

I'd love to make a bigger one, but the rounds keep getting longer... and longer... and longer...

I know. It sometimes takes an hour just to do some of the final rounds.

I figure when I run out of yarn, I am done. I have two each of the caron one pounders, so It may be a huge one.

Or if I just can't stand it anymore, then I will quit.

I would guess it depends on its intended use. The first one I made was about 60 inches point to point. It currently resides on my nephews bed, which is a double bed. It doesn't hang over the sides of the bed at all. I'm currently making one for my mothers bed, also a double bed I'll probably make it bigger, I envision it hanging over the sides of Mom & Dad's bed.

The last 5 or 10 rounds are never ending...

the last few ripples have been made with a specific pattern in mind, so once the patterns done, so is the round ripple!

they have ranged from 40" to nearly 67" around. the last, and largest was made with bulky Baby Clouds, and was only 24 rounds.

I've also just crocheted till there wasn't enough yarn to finish another round, or I just couldn't stand it anymore!

Bet that RR looks great in Chunky yarn! Did you happen to post a photo of it Adagio???? LOL! :lolCrocheting until you run out of yarn or the rounds just get to be too much is pretty much the way I finish them as well!:blush

Here is a link to a slideshow of the RR made with Baby Clouds:

Lindsay's afghan with Baby Clouds

I was mistaken in my earlier post about it's size. It came to only 64 3/4 inches. Guess I've killed too many brain cells.

btw, the size of this one was determined by a predetermined pattern, based on a fibinacci sequence (1,1,2,3,5), and the sequence reversed, and alternated. I actually had to shorten the sequence used, as it would have been HUGE if I'd gone with my original plan!

very pretty:manyheart...I think :thinkI recently saw the booklet on useing the mathematical formulas to do geometric crochet.......very interesting as well! Thanks for sharing!:hug

Thanks for posting this. I'm doing one with 2 strands and an N hook and wassn't sure how big. I guess until I run out of yarn or maybe the next 2 rounds (that was my goal, but not sure I was going to see what I thought). I started one with just 1 strand of yarn but even the beggining was getting to be never ending and I needed to make it fast anyway.

Debbi

Thanks for posting this. I'm doing one with 2 strands and an N hook and wassn't sure how big. I guess until I run out of yarn or maybe the next 2 rounds (that was my goal, but not sure I was going to see what I thought). I started one with just 1 strand of yarn but even the beggining was getting to be never ending and I needed to make it fast anyway.

Debbi

I also like making afghans with double strands. It just makes it go so much faster. I do this with Bernat's Sweet Stripes all the time and the color changes look great.

:manyheart

Timely thread .... I'm working on my first rr (baby gift, single ww, "G" hook) and was just trying to figure out how big to make it. Looks like I'm in the right ballpark. Thanks for the info! :crocheting Deborah