Tulle + Potpourri At Typical Big-Chain Craft Store?

xantha

Does your typical craft store (Michael's, JoAnn's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, etc) have tulle in small amounts? Do they also have potpourri? Do you recall which section?

I think I've decided (last minute jess, :ha) to make sachets for my mom and my MiL for Mother's Day. In The Best of Patricia Kristoffersen, there are two sachet patterns that basically take two small doilies, put a pillow of tulle stuffed with potpourri in between them, and then edge it. Simple enough.

I wanted to make my mom something thread-related, but she's a very utilitarian type, so it needed to be useful, too.

Thanks, JoAnn's website had tulle but not potpourri. I'm thinking Michaels must have both items... but I'm not sure. :)

I know WalMart carries tulle but I'm pretty sure Michael's doesn't. Michael's don't carry much of anything regarding sewing projects which is what tulle is mainly used for. Tulle also makes great crocheted scrubbies for bath, kitchen & back!

Michael's has tulle in the bridal section. Used to be only in cut rounds for bird seed, rice, and jordan almonds. But I have seen it in recent years in yards, I think sold in a box, bag, or bolt type thing; nothing to cut.

JoAnn's has it in the fabric section.

My Hobby Lobby probably has both.

Potpourri at Michael's is usually by the glass vases and things like that, near the fake plants and stuff.

I can't remember where it is in JoAnn's but my guess would be in about the same place.

By nothing to cut, I mean they sell it as is; to swag tables, banisters, chairs, pillars, etc. They don't cut it for you. My head is stuffed again/still so I probably wasn't clear.

I understood what you meant! :) I'm hoping to find some either cut rounds OR in yards so I can cut the rounds myself (since who knows how large my doilies will be). :)

I don't have a WalMart anywhere near me -- my area is too urban (not kidding there). Thanks for the info; hope it helps someone else!

I hit my local AC Moore at lunchtime because I need a set of sz 3 bamboo dpns (and for some reason Michaels/JoAnn don't have any dpns, much less bamboo ones), and I found what I was looking for re: tulle and potpourri.

They had tons of tulle: round pieces of varying sizes, flat sheets, rolls of two different widths. White, off-white, purple, red, green, blue, white with silver stars, white with gold stars, on and on. It was in the wedding section.

Potpourri was in the candlemaking section with all of the scented oils. It was also on clearance for some reason, so I got a decent-sized bag for relatively inexpensively.

I've never noticed this stuff in the stores before; I generally ignore most of the store except for the yarn/thread/notions section, so it was all new to me!

Thanks for all of your help!

I don't have a WalMart anywhere near me -- my area is too urban (not kidding there).
I totally know what you mean! Used to be the same for me, too, before we moved out here.

Glad you found your stuff!

Archived