Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

My revised list for this week!

1. Circle to Square Afghan 20%

2. Squares for Warm Up America 100% FINISHED!:cheer

3. Gracelyn Wrap....Picked out yarn!

4. Lisette Shawl.....5%

5. Dog blanket for our new dog 100% FINISHED!:cheer

6. Secret Pal Swap item....100% FINISHED!:cheer

7. Tie-Front Sweater...Picked out yarn!

I went to our local LYS for the first time last weekend and they were having a 20% off sale on all the yarn in the store. I bought what I could and wished I could have bought alot more!

Kim

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say, is it too late to join for the first quarter? I'd like to make a push to get the following things done for March 31:

Pinwheel Afghan

Scarf for the WWII "Knit Your Bit" campaign

I think if I'm motivated to focus on these two, I can get them done by the end of March.

It's not too late! We've still got a full month before the quarter ends. Good luck with your projects!

My revised list for this week!

1. Circle to Square Afghan 20%

2. Squares for Warm Up America 100% FINISHED!:cheer

3. Gracelyn Wrap....Picked out yarn!

4. Lisette Shawl.....5%

5. Dog blanket for our new dog 100% FINISHED!:cheer

6. Secret Pal Swap item....100% FINISHED!:cheer

7. Tie-Front Sweater...Picked out yarn!

I went to our local LYS for the first time last weekend and they were having a 20% off sale on all the yarn in the store. I bought what I could and wished I could have bought alot more!

Kim

Are you making the tie-front sweater that I made? The vintage tie-front from Lion Brand's site.

Updated list!

I have updated my signature--forgot to mention that I have added another baby blanket! It's the Baby's Abcs blanket--the pattern is here:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/babysabcsafghan.htm

All that single crochet is tedious so it's taking me awhile. It does look nice though! It's for a friend of mine at work who is expecting his first grandchild.

I'm finally updating. I've been really busy lately and haven't had a chance to update.

Items completed since January.

Light and Lacy afghan ~ Blue Ridge ~ Completed

Prayer Shawl ~ Deflth Blue ~ Completed

Hat ~ Deflth Blue and Black ~ Completed

Beanie for hubby ~ Deflth Blue and Black ~ Completed

Items in the works.

Baby Blanket ~ white, light yellow and mint ~ 90%

Granny Square Afghan ~ White, Counrty Rose, Light Sage ~ 3/70 blocks

Prayer Shawl ~ Lavendar ~ 5%

That is my list so far. I should have the baby blanket done today.

Have a great weekend.

Blessings,

Lynn

Just finished off another purse and started one more. LOVE making purses. Plan to make 5 or 6 (all different own designs) before I start lining them, then I sit at machine and line them all in one day. Been too lazy to take pics of blanket, will include it when I finish all the purses.

Just finished off another purse and started one more. LOVE making purses. Plan to make 5 or 6 (all different own designs) before I start lining them, then I sit at machine and line them all in one day. Been too lazy to take pics of blanket, will include it when I finish all the purses.

Would love to see pics of your purses! I just saw a pattern yesterday for a purse I'd like to make but it always seems like doing the lining is the hardest part for me. Any tips to make it easier? I don't seem to measure it right.

Thanks!

Kim

Would love to see pics of your purses! I just saw a pattern yesterday for a purse I'd like to make but it always seems like doing the lining is the hardest part for me. Any tips to make it easier? I don't seem to measure it right.

Thanks!

Kim

I just recently made my first crocheted purse and of course it was my first time lining one. The pattern I used told me what size the fabric needed to be cut to, so I cut that size and then I seamed and hemmed the fabric on my sewing machine. Lastly, I just hand sewed it in around the top edge of the fabric and left about a quarter inch of crochet above it so the lining wouldn't poke out at the top. I did a tight stitch from about a sixteenth inch down (just below the edge of the fabric, basically) from the top edge of the lining up to the bottom of the quarter inch of exposed crochet at a slight angle and back through the fabric in a straight line down from the insertion into the yarn. I used a regular sewing needle and thread, and I didn't sew through the stitches, I sewed through the yarn itself to help anchor the lining better so it didn't slide around.

I can't say that I did it right, but I love how mine turned out. I use it daily and it's holding up well. One tip I have is to use a tightly woven fabric with little to no drape for your lining, but keep it relatively thin. I used inexpensive satin in mine and it worked beautifully. It has some structure and no real stretch, so my purse isn't getting stretched out at all.

This is great, now that I've joined this CAL...I feel so much better now, knowing that I only have to concentrate on two projects until March 31. I figured out that I can work on the Pinwheel afghan in the morning and at lunch at work, sewing the motifs together in the evenings. I can work on the scarf in the evenings and as a take-along project.

Pam, that sounds like a good plan! I like this CAL too for really helping me to stay focused on the projects I really want to get done and those that can wait for 'another day'....

Kim

Ok so I haven't done a monday update in a while, here it goes:

I have been working away on "stuff" I've gotten done three things for my Know Secret Swap Partner, which I never listed just in case she figured out who I am (I have been very careful with my name but you never know people are smart!) and I've also made a few scarves in there too...

So as my list goes:

1. Up-Down Stitch Afghan (xmas 08): +/- 30% haven't worked on it in a few days but I did last week a couple of nights, finished one more skein of each color (2 total)

2. Giant Granny Square Afghan (CAL): 70% on hold, yarn has been ordered

3. Gaint Granny Square Afghan #2 (CAL): 25% worked a little on this the other night so it's slowly getting somewhere

4. Coffee Table Doily: +/- 65% yeah a doily and it's looking pretty nice, I am just so amazed that I'm actually doing this and it's turning out nice!!! (just started sat. 3/2 and I'm almost done!!! I just don't want to stop til it's done!)

5. Last crocheted Item for swap partner (well last until I think of something else she'll like): +/- 0% haven't started, I've got the yarn and patterns all ready to go though

Well that's that for now

I wasnt able to get a whole lot of crocheting done the past week or so. I caught this nasty chest cold that's been going around and just hadn't felt like crocheting at all (thats really how you know you are not feeling well!!). But I started back this weekend. So....

The circles to squares afghan is being put on hold until I can sew the squares together better. I did a couple of them and I think they look horrible! Sewing has never been something that I am very good at. I think part of my problem is that I dont really like it and so I rush through it. So I am going to research some more into this and come back to it later. So thats moving from the WIP category to the UFO category for now.

Circles to squares afghan - 50% UFO

Baby's ABC Blanket - 90%

V/Shell stitch afgan - 10%

V stitch baby blanket - 45%

Ava's blanket - 60%

Blue Mesh Afghan (to replace circles to squares) - 5%

The ABC Blanket is working up really fast! I'm really excited about that one!

The circles to squares afghan is being put on hold until I can sew the squares together better. I did a couple of them and I think they look horrible! Sewing has never been something that I am very good at. I think part of my problem is that I dont really like it and so I rush through it. So I am going to research some more into this and come back to it later. So thats moving from the WIP category to the UFO category for now.

I know exactly what you mean about that circles to square afghan! I still have mine on my WIP list but realisticly it should be a UFO until the Fall. I'm into Spring colors right now and just don't want to work with earth tones....and sewing together those squares, and getting it to look right, is so tedious!! :eek

LOL, you inspired me to move mine to the UFO list.....:yes

Hope you're feeling better!:)

Kim

Thanks!

Kim

Been there, done that, :lol. No matter how much I measured with a ruler it never seemed right. I just lay the purse on top of the material and draw around it. Make lines straight and cut. Leave an extra inch at the top. Using a one quarter to one half inch seam when sewing, depending on the thickness of the yarn, plus an extra inch at the top for a foldover hem (folded twice), and it works out good (for square or rectangle bags). Just sew up the three sides leaving the 1" end undone. Put it in the bag, fold over top hem twice to as tall as you want it, then hem it in. Odd shaped bags are a little harder but it will work with them too. I also use double materials sometimes so that it is pretty on the inside and pretty material showing thru to the outside of a lacier purse. For them you have to add about 1/4" to the outline you made, and don't do the 1" at the top. Put it together facing each other and sew as if making a pillow, leaving about 2" open to turn it right side out. Make sure you trim corners so they turn to make a point. Then sew three sides together like in a regular lining. Put it in the bag, and then fold over if you need to and hem in place.

If you want little pockets or dividers do all that before sewing lining pieces together. It is easy for me, but without drawings or pictures it is hard to describe.

I just finished 2 more bags, but these are a tight stitch, done in one piece, so they don't require a lining. I only line the ones that have an open work design or real fuzzy yarn. Should have pics by end of week.

I wasnt able to get a whole lot of crocheting done the past week or so. I caught this nasty chest cold that's been going around and just hadn't felt like crocheting at all (thats really how you know you are not feeling well!!). But I started back this weekend. So....

Circles to squares afghan - 50% UFO

Baby's ABC Blanket - 90%

V/Shell stitch afgan - 10%

V stitch baby blanket - 45%

Ava's blanket - 60%

Blue Mesh Afghan (to replace circles to squares) - 5%

I'm so glad you are getting better! People around here have been coming down with it, too. It's nasty stuff. You seem to do a decent number of baby blankets... I'm going to be sending you a PM asking for your recommendations for one that I would like to make.

Ok so I haven't done a monday update in a while, here it goes:

I have been working away on "stuff" I've gotten done three things for my Know Secret Swap Partner, which I never listed just in case she figured out who I am (I have been very careful with my name but you never know people are smart!) and I've also made a few scarves in there too...

So as my list goes:

1. Up-Down Stitch Afghan (xmas 08): +/- 30% haven't worked on it in a few days but I did last week a couple of nights, finished one more skein of each color (2 total)

2. Giant Granny Square Afghan (CAL): 70% on hold, yarn has been ordered

3. Gaint Granny Square Afghan #2 (CAL): 25% worked a little on this the other night so it's slowly getting somewhere

4. Coffee Table Doily: +/- 65% yeah a doily and it's looking pretty nice, I am just so amazed that I'm actually doing this and it's turning out nice!!! (just started sat. 3/2 and I'm almost done!!! I just don't want to stop til it's done!)

5. Last crocheted Item for swap partner (well last until I think of something else she'll like): +/- 0% haven't started, I've got the yarn and patterns all ready to go though

Well that's that for now

You are really coming along! Way to go! :cheer

I wish I was even remotely close to the last project for my swap partner. lol Oh well, I'll get everything done when it gets down to the wire, I'm sure. I work well under pressure. :lol

You are really coming along! Way to go! :cheer

I wish I was even remotely close to the last project for my swap partner. lol Oh well, I'll get everything done when it gets down to the wire, I'm sure. I work well under pressure. :lol

Well since I last posted with my "last crocheted item for my swap partner" I remember about the book I'm waiting for to get patterns to make her some things she requested, Ooops guess I've got more than one to do more like 4-5 (I *think the patterns I'm waiting for should be on the small side so I want to make more than one of them)......I'm trying to pace myself I'm near the end of my winter term and finals will be coming up in two weeks (as an architecture major they are tests, they are presentations with lots of drawings!!!)

I'm so glad you are getting better! People around here have been coming down with it, too. It's nasty stuff. You seem to do a decent number of baby blankets... I'm going to be sending you a PM asking for your recommendations for one that I would like to make.

Thank you! I went to the grocery store last night and so many people were coughing - sorta grossed me out, but hopefully this bug will go away soon!

It seemed like within a 2 month span I knew of 6 people who were pregnant! My favorite really has been the Baby's ABC Blanket from CrochetPatternCentral.com. I redid the graph so if you are interested in making that one, let me know and I can email it to you. It was hard for me to read on the website. It is time consuming and is using a lot of yarn, but its been really fun to watch each letter come to life! I'm down to only 10 rows left and I will post a picture of it when I have finished it. Feel free to PM me if you want some other suggestions!

Been there, done that, :lol. No matter how much I measured with a ruler it never seemed right. Should have pics by end of week.

Thank Carol! I knew you'd understand. :) I'll give your instructions a try and see if I have better luck with the next lining. Looking forward to seeing pics!

Kim

Well, this has been a great idea. I actually finished everything on my list! As well as a couple of extra things. I will post pics when the sun comes out because my digital camera can't capture colors with a flash. When do we make a new list? April 1?

Well, this has been a great idea. I actually finished everything on my list! As well as a couple of extra things. I will post pics when the sun comes out because my digital camera can't capture colors with a flash. When do we make a new list? April 1?

My camera is the same way! BTW, I see you rescue Greyhounds. We have a retired Greyhound that we got from a rescue! We've had him for 6 years and he'll be 10 this year.

Kim

Sorry I havn't posted in a while things have been really hectic, I havn't really got alot done and have been a little naughty and started a few new projects, but they are for my SP.

Have weaved in some ends on Chester's blanket, I really need to get this lot cleared up b4 the next list is due.

Dad's afghan -100% complete

Chester's blanket - 97% complete, only have ends to weave in

Halebop's blanket - 75% complete

Hook case - 97% complete

Dolly Parton doll - 60% complete

Spike stitch bag - 85% complete

Mr Bean style bear - 10% complete

Sweet dreams baby blanket - 35% complete

NEW - Retro Babette - 20% complete

Archived