A UK Crocheted Charity Blanket Project

GlasgowLindsay

Hello,

I am starting up a small UK charity blanket project called Little Lamb. I currently crochet up a storm for Project Linus UK, my local Hospice (Strathcarron) and a Cats Protections shelter. The thing is I get a bit lonely stuck out on a limb by myself all the time.:think

I have been reading for months about all the different ways Crochetville members hook for charity and was inspired. But also ended up feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't join in much due to international postage costs being out of my league budget wise. I hate sulking it wastes precious crochet time:hookSo I thought I better get busy!

I have been trying in vain to get more involved with one the existing UK crochet/knitting charity projects but they are all full or do not need blanket finishers at the moment, or consider crochet to be a poor cousin of knitting or an even poorer cousin of quilting which we know is nonsence!? So I thought I would just go for it and try to set up a project myself rather than sit about and wish it already existed!:D

The project is the 'Little Lamb Charity Blanket Project' and it is based in Glasgow, Scotland, UK. The Project will accept crocheted or knitted squares any size from 4-12 inches and we will assemble them into blankets. The project will provide blankets mainly to the UK but also to some UK charities who will then ship the blankets on to Africa, South America and Parts of Europe who need them.

I thought it was worth mentioning and giving you the links as there might be other UK members of Crochetville who wished they had a project they could send squares to. If we got something off the ground in the UK we could have even do some of the wonderful things that are done here at Crochetville, like the nominating a person for a Comfort Afghan I think some people here would love to do that in the UK!

Anway the Project Website is here: Little Lamb UK Charity Blanket Project

And my personal blog is here: Glasgow Granny Factory

I have made a batch of 20 blankets on my own (with mum working hard as well ...family cannot say no LOL!) and am crocheting madly so that we have something to show on the website. Anyone is welcome to get involved you don't need to be living in the UK and I would value even a few ideas, tips and advice from some of the pro's on here! :manyheart

Best Wishes, Lindsay

:cheer:clap Lindsay, I'm so glad to hear this!! I've recently started crocheting hats for our local hospital and homeless shelter and have been looking for UK charities but never found any suitable. I keep reading about everything being done in the US and like you, it's just not cost effective to send too much overseas all the time. I will definitely start some squares for you. I know you listed the sizes but do you prefer a certain type of yarn? I will let you know when I have a few ready to send off to you.

Am off to check out your sites.

Thanks!!!!

Hello Jen:D

Any yarn and any size of square is just wonderful! When you are ready to post PM or email me (my email is on the website/blog) and I will send you my address then when I use the squares I will take a pic and let you see the finished blanket! :hook

Best Wishes, Lindsay :crocheting

• 2 weeks later...

Lindsey,

Congratulations on your project!! :cheer

For the last four years I've been running The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (near Washington D.C., USA) and have learned a LOT - if I can help with organizational ideas, questions, or such just drop me a line at rectangle6x9@comcast.net

Best of luck, Deborah

Jen: I have sent you a PM thanks for expressing an interest!:D

Clare: Thank You for offering Little Lamb a blanket that is so kind I have sent you a PM too!:clap

Deborah: it was so nice of you to post and offer me someone to talk to about starting a project like this. I have visiting your Project website and it is amazing what you have done:). Your photographs albums were very moving. I have emailed you and am really grateful for your offer of someone to chat to as I get a bit overwhelmed some days!:think:eek:blush

and Melissa: Thanks for your kind remarks you (and your squares LOL) will be very welcome in the UK!:hook

can I make some squares for you? I would also like to know what size whole blankets you want as I am about to do some serious stash busting! I look forward to hearing from you...also would it be ok to post about this in my blog? I do get quite alot of visitors from my other craft sites?

That would be wonderful cherrypicker!:clap I would love some squares:crocheting and putting up a link to the blog/website would help a lot too:manyheart. Thanks so much. I have sent you a PM!:D

• 7 years later...

hello  I tried to click on your links and it says no page found, just wondering if this is still an ongoing project

This is a pretty old thread...back in 2008.  The last post she ever made was back in 2010 so it appears she isn't active on here anymore. 

Archived