DPN's....

rascalsmom

Just one more mystery of knitting. :lol I got a bunch of knitting needles from DH's grandma's house, and there are four double-pointed needles. Just what do you do with these things, and how does the knitted material stay on them??

These things are just freaky! :knit

DPN's are my favorite way to knit. They are for knitting in the round - either flat, like doilies, or tubular like hats or socks.

You cast on your stitches and divide them up among 3 needles. Then you knit around with the 4th needle. When all the stitches are on your working needle, you just proceed to the next needle. It is a quick, easy way to do round knitting without having to seam it up.

The stitches should stay on the needles without any problem if you don't have too many (say 20-30 stitches per needle depending on size/type of yarn). If you are starting out with a lot of stitches that will be decreased as you go - say with a hat - you may have so many stitches they want to slip off the ends. In that case some people prefer to use a circular needle but me...I HATE circular needles! So I will just cap off the ends of the DPN's with point protectors until the stitches are decreased enough not to slip off.

Play around with them, and let us know if you have any more questions. Before you know it you will be knitting socks like crazy! :)

Wow. That is just too....I don't know, but wow. No wonder I'm intimidated by knitting! :lol With crochet, it's just you and one little hook....:lol

That really is amazing to me!! Thanks for the info and the link!

Just make sure that when you're using the dpns you tug the last stitch on each needle tight before moving to the next needle. It decreases the "laddering" effect at the end. I <3 dpns. :)

And thus my rabid fear of dpns.... :eek Patty

No, no, no! It isn't that bad! Just give it a try, once you get over the initial awkwardness of handling the extra needles you will find it quick and easy. You never have to stop and turn your work like you do on straight needles. You just keep going around and around. If you are working in stockinette stitch, there are no purls. Since you are always working on the right side of the fabric, you just knit every round.

And best of all when you're done there are NO SEAMS!

• 2 weeks later...

I used dpn's for my second project, socks. Once you get the hang of them they really are easier. Trust us.....it's true. I will never go back to knitting hats flat, then having to seam them when I'm done. I found that if I don't challenge myself with knitting, I never get any better.

I could not work with the metal ones. I had to switch to bamboo and feel that the yarn grips better to the bamboo.

I am working on the "We call them pirates" hat, and wll need to start using them VERY soon....So I pulled out the ones I have and I am getting ready to visit knitting help so give me more confidence.

OK, Just a bit of an update.....................

I'M DOING IT!!!!!!! Last night I worked 4 dpn into the top of the hat and I am now working off of them. You are right, it isn't NEARLY as awful as it LOOKS. on a side note, I knit so darn tight that I am amazed that I have not broken one yet....However, no sooner I got the DPN's in, my daughter stepped on the hat and broke one. Oy Vay.

Has anyone ever made their own? I have some but they are the wrong size. I remember reading some where that wood ones are better to work with because they aren't as slippery. I just wondered how much of a pain they are to make.

KareBear,

There is a video on knitting help.com on how to make them. Honestly? I don't think it could be much easier. I have made regular needles, using chopsticks and assorted dowels that come prepackaged at Wal-Mart. Enjoy! Now you will never be without a needle when you need one!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of double-pointed needles...I was really terrified of them, too. But a friend last week got me started with the first row of making fingerless gloves with them, and they're not that bad! (Especially for someone who only knows how to knit and purl--just barely!--like me.) I will admit, it's kind of tricky at first, but it's getting a little easier now. I think it's super cool how knitting with four needles turns into a tube. :) It's actually pretty fun.

I have to say, though, that I bought bamboo needles for my first set and WOW, I love them!!! I will never again buy aluminum knitting needles.

Archived