Roving dyeing-WOVEN & SPUN

deneen

I saw Kimberly responded to a question about this some time ago, but there wasn't enough explanation.

I received some wonderful roving from my secret pal. It's natural and I want to dye it. How would I do the crock pot method? Could I do the multi colors that way????

Help!

Deneen, here's one of my favorite links for dying yarn or roving:

how to paint roving and yarn

This site is mostly for handpainting with multiple colors, not single dyeing.

It's really not any different than yarn dyeing... You just have to be a little extra careful to keep it from felting.

I dyed some roving just over a week ago. I pretty much used the process outlined above, but with single colors that I heated up in the microwave instead of over a steaming pot. It worked out okay... I can write up more details if you like, but really I take the normal kool-aid/food coloring dyeing directions and use roving instead of yarn. :)

[i am assuming here that you want to use kool-aid or food coloring. it's a different process with some other dyes.]

hey Deneen..sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

You can use the crock pot method for more then one color dying. I put my canning jars full of dye water in the warm water bath of the crock pot. Shove your yarn or roving into each jar and just let them sit for a few hours (if necessary) until all the dye is soaked up.

Also, check out a thrift shop or something like that and get an electrci vegtable steamer. this way if you want to hand paint like on the link Jess provided, you can put the rolled up roving/skein packets into the veggie steamer. I have never had a problem with felting this way.

I actually had more problems with felting when I used the microwave method.

I plan on doing some dying next week or the following week and can take pictures if you would like. I just need some warmer weather.

I saw Kimberly responded to a question about this some time ago, but there wasn't enough explanation.

I received some wonderful roving from my secret pal. It's natural and I want to dye it. How would I do the crock pot method? Could I do the multi colors that way????

Help!

hey Deneen..sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

You can use the crock pot method for more then one color dying. I put my canning jars full of dye water in the warm water bath of the crock pot. Shove your yarn or roving into each jar and just let them sit for a few hours (if necessary) until all the dye is soaked up.

Also, check out a thrift shop or something like that and get an electrci vegtable steamer. this way if you want to hand paint like on the link Jess provided, you can put the rolled up roving/skein packets into the veggie steamer. I have never had a problem with felting this way.

I actually had more problems with felting when I used the microwave method.

I plan on doing some dying next week or the following week and can take pictures if you would like. I just need some warmer weather.

Are you kidding?? I just posted this yesterday. I'm glad you responded though, I was just gonna toss the roving into the crock pot with the dye. I need to get some canning jars. I may have a few lying around from candle making. I will do this after vacation and I'm sure I'll contact you for help then:blush

Are you kidding?? I just posted this yesterday. I'm glad you responded though, I was just gonna toss the roving into the crock pot with the dye. I need to get some canning jars. I may have a few lying around from candle making. I will do this after vacation and I'm sure I'll contact you for help then:blush

Ok...so I thought the date was later then what it is. Lack of sleep and actually having a hubby home can do that to a person :devil

I love dying. The kids and I usually do that as our art time and I tend to do whatever color combos they come up with. Some have been uuhhh ummm *colorful* (yea that's it) and others have just turned out stunning. I don't use acid dyes. I tend to use Rit dyes, koolaid, food coloring (although those tend to not be so bright) and cake frosting dye. I've also used coffe, tea, grape juice and various other stain setters around as well.

Archived