Are We doing anything for Valentine's Day CAL

darski

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did this pattern a while ago ( a long while ago)

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/february5.html

it is very nice and I know someone who has adapted this to make it even more interesting. I have asked her to share her adaptation... will let you know how that works out.

oops! I didn't see your pm until just now.

Anyway, I'm the one with the adaptation to the pattern...what I did was take the above pattern and repeated the first "row" of hearts, with a couple of tweaks along the way...

PLEASE SEE POST # 40 FOR CORRECTED COPY OF PATTERN & PIC

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't edit it in this post, maybe because it was originally copied from Word or something...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb272/grannysquare/?action=view&current=RowsofHeartsDoily.jpg

Here are the changes I made, with all due credit to the original designer:

Rows of Hearts Doily (based on Crochet-along Hearts Doily by Cylinda Mathews)

Materials: size 10 crochet cotton, size 7 steel hook (doily in photo about 6” across)

Special stitches:

2 dc cluster: (Yo, insert hook in next dc, pull up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook) twice, yo, draw through last 3 loops on hook to complete the cluster.

thank you so much for posting this. it really is a sweet doily and will make a great addition to this CAL. :manyheart

:hug

I would recommend this for everyone to try - I do them in yarn or 100% (WW) cotton.

Darski, That bag is really pretty and I still like your original idea about putting a little stacked heart scarf in the bag.

i think it is too small for any scarf. it really is tiny... it is about 3.5 inches in diameter and is only 3inches tall. I might be able to get a scarf in there if I wrap it really tightly.

Oh and I cannot wait to see your tic tac toe bag. Hope you are going to share that pattern.

Debby

I will definitely post the pattern for it. I really like how it looks so far and I am only 9 rows into a straight bag... :wlol I am easily pleased.

I think that the 'Ville has become bi-craftal these days so if you want to KAL instead of CAL, that works for me too.

I did that L-O-V-E dishcloth once - it was fun to make.

Count me in! I really want to have a few Valentine's Day things around the house this year so I think I can fit this in!

Now to figure out what to make! I made these wonderful heart coasters with #3 thread a couple of years ago as part of a wedding present for someone and kept meaning to make a set for myself. All I have to do is figure out what happened to the pattern!

Gee, I had no idea those ditty bags were that small. I guess they would work for a doll's purse then. Thank you for telling me the size.

Debby

The pattern as written is not that small, if you see the pic, you can see that the can of pop fits in.

I used a finer WW yarn and, for me, a smaller hook so it came out a bit smaller than it was supposed to be.

I think I would make it in hdc the next time out.

Hey, by the way, here's the pattern link for the little hearts I whipped up this morning. I wrote out the pattern pretty quickly, but I checked it several times. Regardless, if you use it, please let me know if there is a problem/error with my instructions. I'm still learning how to do this!

American Folk-Art Style Heart Motif

Love this motif! Hmmmm, these are the size that could be stacked and sewn together for a scarf ...

Love this motif! Hmmmm, these are the size that could be stacked and sewn together for a scarf ...

My thoughts exactly! However, after working up one of those hearts I decided I didn't like the way it looked so I searched for a different heart and found THIS one! I know it's for a dishcloth but you don't have to make a dishcloth with it! Anyway, I am on my 3rd heart and am joining them as I do the trim as I go. I'll try and take a pic today and show you how it's coming. I think it'll look cool when done but we'll have to wait and see! Sometimes how things look in your head and how they turn out are 2 different things!

I did this pattern a while ago ( a long while ago)

it is very nice and I know someone who has adapted this to make it even more interesting. I have asked her to share her adaptation... will let you know how that works out.

That's a beautifu pattern, Darski!

...just lurking....:hook

For whatever reason I can't seem to edit the pattern I posted in post #27, although it did let me delete it.

I had written it up last year, and decided to 'test' it again for this CAL, and found an error. Here is (hopefully) the correct version. Let me know if you find any more errors or have questions.

Here is a link to the original pattern. You will need it to work the pattern below:

Here is the picture of my adaptation, with 2 rows of hearts:

post-13625-135897404471_thumb.jpg

Here are the changes I made, with all due credit to the original designer:

CORRECTED Rows of Hearts Doily (based on Crochet-along Hearts Doily)

Materials: size 10 crochet cotton, size 7 steel hook (doily in photo about 6” across)

Special stitches: 2 dc cluster (see original pattern)

Instructions:

Chain 8; join with a slip st in first ch to form a ring.

Rnd 1) Follow the original pattern

Rnd 2 (looks like little hearts, shown in photo; look more like hearts if they are a contrasting color to rows 1 & 3): ch 5, sl st in joining ch, ch 2, dc in join (little heart made), ch 1, *(sk 2 dc, dc in next st, ch 2, sl in same st, ch 2, dc in same st, ch1) 5 times. Join to 3rd ch of initial ch 5.

Rnd 3: Reaching back under ch1 made before joining, sl st, (ch 3, 2 dc) in ch-1 sp, *(ch 5, 3 dc in ch 1 sp) ; repeat from * around; join with a slip st to first dc: 18 dc.

Rnds 4-6) Follow the original pattern

Rnd 7) Ch 2, 2 dc cluster over next 2 dc, dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc cluster over next 2 dc, ch 2, slip st in same st as last dc in cluster was worked, slip st in ch 1 space, slip st in next dc, ch 2, * 2 dc cluster over next 2 dc, dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc cluster over next 2 dc, ch 2, slip st in same st as last dc in cluster was worked, slip st in ch 1 space, slip st in next dc, ch 2; repeat from * around, ending with 2 dc cluster at the left side of the last heart.

Rnd 8) * (ch 5, sc in top of next 2 dc cl) around; join with sl st in first ch.

Rnd 9) sl st in next 2 ch, ch 3, 2dc in same ch, *(ch 4, sc in 3rd ch of next chain loop, ch 4, 3 dc in 3rd ch of next ch loop) around. End with ch 4, join with sl st to first dc.

Rnd 10)Ch 3, 2 dc in joining, dc in next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 4; * 3 dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 4; repeat from * around; join with a slip st to first dc

Rnd 11-13) Repeat rnds 5, 6 and 7

Finish off for 2 rows of hearts, as shown in the photo

Optional, make each row of hearts a different color. Outline slip-stitch around hearts in contrasting color.

For 3 rows of hearts:

Repeat rnd 8 FIVE times

Repeat rnd 9-13.

All-white, 3 rows of hearts version of this doily:

post-13625-135897404477_thumb.jpg

I'm still working on my Valentine Heart Scarf. I've got all the motifs made and the ends woven in, and now I'm sewing them together. I'm very happy with how it's turning out! Sounds like everyone has some great ideas about what to make for Valentine's Day! :)

I've finished 3 heart motifs and am planning to start the Rows of Hearts doily today. Bear with me on this one...it's my fist doily. :hook

I love the heart shawl. Just wish I had time to do one right now. I'm filing that one for later.

http://crochet.about.com/library/n030107.htm

Just want to share this beautiful heart shawl made by the talented person who has this site. I want to make this in red.

That's a beautiful pattern...I get updates from Sandi Marshall...she has good stuff:c9

I don't know if I want to join yet, but I'm lurking. Although that heart shawl may make me want to join and do that... I love shawls!

I found this post stuffies for the office and she had a heart that said "kiss me" and I thought that woudl be so cute for valentines day. Maybe a bunch in a basket or around the little candy hearts in a candy dish.

Last year I did some hearts and put them up in my office as deocration then I was going to sew them together to make a potholder (never did, they're somewhere in my stash still I believe).

Debbi

I was about to start on a pink bag (like the crochetville bags, but I'm not up to graphing the hook right now), and maybe make it with a wider base. (we'll see about that) This would give me good motivation to get going on that. (and maybe by then my Sister will know if she's having a girl or a boy this summer, and I can go crazy making treasures for them). That tic tac toe bag sounds awesome darski...I'm keeping my eyes open for that pattern :) What a neat idea.

Im also thinking about making some rice bags (the kind you heat in the microwave) JoAnns had the big sugar and creams on sale this week, so I got a couple to bulk up my stash of cheap cotton. Those should make decent covers for the rice packs....

ooookay, my creative brain cell just kicked into overdrive. I'd better stop before I get too many ideas!! :O :P:lol

Archived