Another Knit to Crochet question

cjansen

Question

I am very experienced with graph crochet. But I need a knitter/crocheter opinion. I have a graph of a knitted ball all in stockinette stitch, and I really don't want to take the time and as well purchase all the tools to learn, practice and make these.

I have read everything about how you CAN'T translate knit to crochet. but can I do this.

I thought about just doing it single crochet to knit stitch and see what I get.

Any thoughts?

6 answers to this question

What you have read is that there is no DIRECT translation from knit to crochet or from crochet to knit. You can , of course, approximate the look of the one with the other. For something as simple as a ball with a design from a graph, you could probably do taperstry crochet and get a good result. For things that are sized, there is more to consider: drape of article, gauge, type of stitch/ size of needles, type( weight) of yarn. Crochetwill enerally require more yardage than knitting.

..bump..

Just a crocheter, but from what I've seen, the graph should be basically the same. (Unless you're felting, then you have minor issues with the way they felt-up...crochet shrinks more one way, knit more the other) . I'd say go for it.

I think I will Thanks for opinions.

I think I'll make a big one with worsted, for practice and experiment. than get the tapestry yarn to make then the correct size!

Knitting stitches are slightly rectangular, so depending on the specific graph it may not come out exactly the same, but it should be close. I use square graph paper for my knitting patterns, but depending on what it is and the size of the yarn it can look slightly skewed.

Archived