Supplies for Charity Group

Ally

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right place :shrug I just recently got the go ahead to start a Crafts for Charity group at my church. I put an add in freecyle already but I was wondering if any of you had ideas on how to go about getting donations of craft supplies for my church. My stash has become what I'm using now and it's going quick. Thanks

I know that some gals have requested yarn for charity from some of the yarn companies. I think Caron might have been one. I guess they do supply a certain amount of charity yarn per year. You could always ask? Lionbrand, Coats and Clark, Caron...

I wish you well!

Amber

I requested yarn for charity from Coats and Clark last year..I wrote to the p.o. box on their website. I wrote what the charity was and all that. I received a huge box of yarn, mixed colors. But, I do know people who have recieved nothing. I do know that Caron has been sending letters saying they cannot donate yarn because they get some many requests and don't feel it is fair to pick and choose or something like that. Try Coats and Clark. I think they are your best bet!

Since it is at your church, you could ask the congregation to donate craft items they have and no longer need. Put ithe request in the bulliten, or email or list it in the announcements that go to all the Sunday School classes. However you all communicate. Those are a few of the ways we get the message out at my church.

Barbara

I put a different little notice in the church bulletin almost every week to help the congregation familiarize themself with our charity sewing group. There is a Yarn Donation basket in the gathering area with a nice big sign on it. There is also a sign on the door of the church and on the donation basket that explains what we need and what clinics and hospitals we will be making items for.

We are going to have a display next week of some of the completed preemie items and chemo caps, etc. with a big "Thank You" sign nearby so that the folks in the congregation can see what we made from the donated yarn. Ladies from the group will stand nearby, wearing nametags, so that they can answer questions or sign up new stitchers.

Just so you know, I sent a request to Coats and Clark last month and got a letter back saying they've already given away all the yarn they're going to this year. Other companies might still have some available, though.

If you are looking for various other craft supplies other than yarn, you could try some local craft stores like Michaels and Ben Franklin and such and ask if they would donate some returned(opened packages) items or discontinued merchandise, basically unsellable merchandise. Don't know if they would or not, but never hurts to ask.

Archived