Is anyone thinking about County Fairs yet?

Being laid up from knee surgery has given me a whole lot of time to start thinking of projects for the county Fair in AUGUST! i am working on a baby snuggle outfit so far, but thinking about making a pretty rr in yellow and purple, plus some socks, and some other ideas.

I may even make a Christening gown and bonnet this year. I already have the thread for it.

So does anyone else start thinking about the fair that's coming in the summer? Have you started any projects?

:manyheart

I've been thinking of it since last September or October. This will be my first time. Right now I'm thinking of entering my Prairie Star that I am working on. I haven't thought of anything else yet though. I'm not sure what projects are good to enter.

I've been really interested in entering the last couple of years, but haven't gotten up to it yet. I guess I'm not sure enough of what they're looking for. I'm afraid my end-weaving will never be good enough. Is there anywhere online that has a checklist of good general guidelines for county fairs?

Last year was my first fair entry, and even at that time I was already thinking about what to make for the next one! I made an afghan last year, and this year I want to make something in thread, but I have yet to find the right doily that just screams, "enter me!"

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about it also. My goal is to make a christening dress each winter and enter it in the fall (I missed last year--built a house instead).

Year before last, I was pleased with my entry. Another lady had made the same dress and booties and she'd made the bonnet. I got blue, but she got sweepstakes. I sure wish I knew why? I was so disappointed when I opened my little paper with the ribbon and there was no criteria or comments. NOTHING.

Anyone know what the judges are looking for?

I've been thinking about it also. My goal is to make a christening dress each winter and enter it in the fall (I missed last year--built a house instead).

Year before last, I was pleased with my entry. Another lady had made the same dress and booties and she'd made the bonnet. I got blue, but she got sweepstakes. I sure wish I knew why? I was so disappointed when I opened my little paper with the ribbon and there was no criteria or comments. NOTHING.

Anyone know what the judges are looking for?

I entered for the first time last year, and when I picked up my entry there was nothing from the judges either.

I went through several forums and several threads and made myself a list of everything that I could find on what the judges were looking for to give me a guideline on what to expect.

Good Luck.

It's hard to know what the judges look for.

It really depends on who the judges are, how many entries they get per catagory, the level of work that people submit, and many other things.

Some things to be careful of.

1. Those ends need to be tucked in nicely.

2. Guage and drape are important.

3. Use color to help your piece stand out.

4. Do something that is a little different than the norm. If a lot of people make rectangular afghans, then make a round ripple with lots of color changes.

5. If new to the fair and entering, just enter a few things to see how it goes. Don't think you have to enter every single catagory in the Crochet field, etc.

6. Have fun with the projects. Do your best but still love the project by the time it's completed.

I hope this helps everyone who is thinking about entering. I just love my county fair.

I have one project almost completed (sewing buttons on) and one that's maybe halfway done. I start early so I don't feel under pressure.

Good luck to Everyone at the "Ville!

:manyheart

I've been thinking of it since last September or October. This will be my first time. Right now I'm thinking of entering my Prairie Star that I am working on. I haven't thought of anything else yet though. I'm not sure what projects are good to enter.

This thread made me curious. Though i have never entered in the county fair, i would like to some day if i ever get the nerve lol. I found online the catagories my county fair has, but of course yours is probably different, but mabey this can give you some kind of an idea:

CROCHET

(OPEN TO ALL AGE GROUPS)

All Premiums 1st 2nd 3rd

$3 $2 $1

6409. Crochet Top Pillow

6410. Bedspread

6411. Tablecloth

6412. Afghan, Granny Square

6413. Afghan, Broom Stitch

6414. Afghan, Ripple Stitch

6415. Afghan, Cross Stitch

6416. Afghan, Navajo

6417. Afghan, Apache Tear

6418. Afghan, Popcorn Stitch

6419. Afghan, shell stitch

6422. Sweater or Vest

6423. Collar

6424. Scarf or Doily

6425. Hot Dish Mat or Pot Holder

6426. Small Household Item

6427. Doll with Crocheted Clothing

6428. Crocheted Doll Clothes

6429. Crochet Filet

6430. Afghan, other stitch than listed above

6430a. Crochet item, not listed above

Hope it helps some, this has got me excited!

Both my husband and I are going to enter in our fair. We are already working on the items. First time for both of us. DS used to enter when he was 5-7 and won a couple of blue ribbons for pumpkins. So now it is our turn. :hook

Archived