Should A Mannequin Head Or Human Model Head Be Used For Hats?

SHOULD A MANNEQUIN HEAD OR HUMAN MODEL HEAD BE USED FOR HATS?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD A MANNEQUIN HEAD OR HUMAN MODEL HEAD BE USED FOR HATS?

• Will a mannequin head sell more hats?
    • Will a human model head sell more hats?
    • Doesn't matter?
    • Undecided?

Hi...i I think just a plain white styrofoam head (no hair) with the crochet hat on it ....the work speaks for itself...and your work is BEAUTIFUL :hook

Thank you,I think I might put that in consideration! I really love my neice with the hats on she takes such great pics but I feel some people think different..:think

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most responses, I wouldn't want to buy a hat that had been worn by someone else. My hats are displayed on foam head mannequins (purchased at a local beauty supply store for under $4).

I would eventually like to invest in a more life-like one, but for now, styrofoam will do.

I've heard Pier 1 has (or had) a glass head, but haven't had any luck finding one.

mannequin heads don't compete with the hat the way a human face can ... (I can't think of a better way to word this)

and mannequin heads of course will not spread germs

I remember as a child watching my mother shop for hats and in those stores she would try on a hat but first would put on a kind of white cap offered by the salesgirl ... like we'll put on peds at shoe stores ... and I remember the hats all in a line on silvery posts with marbley orbs ... I was fascinated with those stores

I wonder if beauty schools sell their used mannequins?

I have a styro head that I (finally) managed to find for $3.99. I love it and I'm only sorry that I didn't buy more of them at the time.

I wonder if beauty schools sell their used mannequins?

I have a styro head that I (finally) managed to find for $3.99. I love it and I'm only sorry that I didn't buy more of them at the time.

The students at beauty school really practice on their heads and usually buy another one or two. By the time they're done with them, most have buzz cuts and the student's name written in magic marker on them.

I doubt that photos of hats on human heads would be very helpful. However, I don't know how much more beneficial it would be to use a mannequin rather than a good photo of a hat unmodeled. I suggest that you google images of crocheted hats. Some will be shown lying flat and some will be shown on "salon heads" or mannequins. See for yourself which you think looks better.

Beverly

I vote for the human model, gives you a better idea of how it will look on your head.

Yarncat's mannequin looks pretty darn real! I love the pics I take of my neice..I know she doesn't have greasy hair,bugs or anything else..Once I am done modeling with them I wash my hats throughly before they go out the door...I agree that a CLEAN human head or yarncats mannequin would be a seller!

I've heard that some buyers on Ebay have received human hair mannequins with head lice??? Has anyone had that experience? I'm guessing foam heads would be the best results?

Every single manakin head that we get for school has nits.(Lice eggs) The hair is from Europeans, and apparently, lice isn't a stigma there. The hair is obviously off the head for more than two weeks, the nits are either hatched or dead, and are of no threat whatsoever to us to use. Also, the hair is sterilized, dyed a brown color, this hair has been thru the wringer, lol.

Every single manakin head that we get for school has nits.(Lice eggs) The hair is from Europeans, and apparently, lice isn't a stigma there. The hair is obviously off the head for more than two weeks, the nits are either hatched or dead, and are of no threat whatsoever to us to use. Also, the hair is sterilized, dyed a brown color, this hair has been thru the wringer, lol.

Thanks Liz for the info..:hug I'm sure that helps ease some minds!

I think if I was buying anything that someone crocheted at home, it's just a given that I'd wash it before wearing/using it. Still, I guess I can see how some people would be turned off by seeing it on someone else's head. It never occured to me that the customer would assume the hat in the picture is the same hat they're getting.

However, if the picture was just advertising a pattern or showing-and-telling, I'd definitely want to see it on a real person's head. I used to sell hats when I worked in a department store, and what looks good on a mannequin head does not necessarily look good on a real person. If the mannequin is just a head with no hair there's an even bigger difference. The mannequin heads were often smaller than the typical woman's head. Some hats look great on the mannequin, but not on an actual person. And then some hats look better on people with curly hair and some look better with straight hair. Curls tend to poke through lacier designs. If the woman is a bit plump that makes a difference, too. You don't see too many plus-sized mannequin heads.

In reality even if you don't see the hat on a greasy-haired model, you still don't know what a hat was exposed to before you got it, so it really doesn't matter. Their dog could've drooled on it, their cat could've slept on it, they might've had the flu while working on it... :yuck

I think if I was buying anything that someone crocheted at home, it's just a given that I'd wash it before wearing/using it. Still, I guess I can see how some people would be turned off by seeing it on someone else's head. It never occured to me that the customer would assume the hat in the picture is the same hat they're getting.

However, if the picture was just advertising a pattern or showing-and-telling, I'd definitely want to see it on a real person's head. I used to sell hats when I worked in a department store, and what looks good on a mannequin head does not necessarily look good on a real person. If the mannequin is just a head with no hair there's an even bigger difference. The mannequin heads were often smaller than the typical woman's head. Some hats look great on the mannequin, but not on an actual person. And then some hats look better on people with curly hair and some look better with straight hair. Curls tend to poke through lacier designs. If the woman is a bit plump that makes a difference, too. You don't see too many plus-sized mannequin heads.

In reality even if you don't see the hat on a greasy-haired model, you still don't know what a hat was exposed to before you got it, so it really doesn't matter. Their dog could've drooled on it, their cat could've slept on it, they might've had the flu while working on it... :yuck

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT ANY BETTER...VERY VERY GOOD COMMENTS!

I have read most of everyone responds I agree with those that say a mannequin head I am that type of person if I am going to by a hat I don't want it to have been woren by someone else. I will also want to put it on a mannequin head if I know I am going to sell it.

I sell on mostly hats on Etsy and I use a styro head, but use photos of a friend in a similar hat she purchased from me as well. The thing that sort of makes me laugh is that I would never sell a hat to someone without trying it on first. Sorry, hate to say it, but chances are whether someone is wearing the hat in the picture or not, they have more than likely put it on their own head.

I sell on mostly hats on Etsy and I use a styro head, but use photos of a friend in a similar hat she purchased from me as well. The thing that sort of makes me laugh is that I would never sell a hat to someone without trying it on first. Sorry, hate to say it, but chances are whether someone is wearing the hat in the picture or not, they have more than likely put it on their own head.

Very good point!:yes

• 3 weeks later...

That's tough.

If I'm buying the actual hat in the photo, I prefer it on a mannequin. If I'm buying a hat in the same style, or if I'm buying a pattern, I prefer it on a real person because I think it looks better.

But I agree, I'd wash it first either way because, well, ick. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi......I resently purchased a glass human form head for this kind of thing.

Although I find the hats more visually appealing when modeled by a human....I think it would be better to use a mannequine.

Cheers

Shellymoo :mcow

Hi......I resently purchased a glass human form head for this kind of thing.

Although I find the hats more visually appealing when modeled by a human....I think it would be better to use a mannequine.

Cheers

Shellymoo :mcow

Thanks for the comment.

Archived