Should A Mannequin Head Or Human Model Head Be Used For Hats?

SHOULD A MANNEQUIN HEAD OR HUMAN MODEL HEAD BE USED FOR HATS?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD A MANNEQUIN HEAD OR HUMAN MODEL HEAD BE USED FOR HATS?

• Will a mannequin head sell more hats?
    • Will a human model head sell more hats?
    • Doesn't matter?
    • Undecided?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

styrofoam "wig stand" heads are about $5 at beauty supply places.

Mine is getting a bit beat up (my daughter keeps borrowing it, and then there is the cats...) and I'm considering making a ceramic one.

IMHO it just looks better, and "feels" more sanitary.

Use either one, but if you use a human model make sure they wash the grease out of their hair. lol

Clean hair always looks better in any situation.

Why anyone would model a hat or cap with greasy hair and post it on the internet, is beyond me.

Use either one, but if you use a human model make sure they wash the grease out of their hair. lol

Clean hair always looks better in any situation.

Why anyone would model a hat or cap with greasy hair and post it on the internet, is beyond me.

I AGREE 100% with you there!:D

styrofoam "wig stand" heads are about $5 at beauty supply places.

Mine is getting a bit beat up (my daughter keeps borrowing it, and then there is the cats...) and I'm considering making a ceramic one.

IMHO it just looks better, and "feels" more sanitary.

That would be a great idea...:think

I've heard that some buyers on Ebay have received human hair mannequins with head lice??? Has anyone had that experience? I'm guessing foam heads would be the best results?

Where did you hear that? Is it an urban legend ? I've never seen a mannequin head with human hair. The lice need blood to live.

I've heard that some buyers on Ebay have received human hair mannequins with head lice??? Has anyone had that experience? I'm guessing foam heads would be the best results?

I don't know much about how the heads are made, but I would *think* that the manufacturer would make sure the hair was clean. However, if there was still lice (it would probably be the nits, stuck to the hair shaft), they couldn't live without the heat of a real human head. And the actual lice cannot live longer than a day without feeding on human blood.

Sadly, I've had to deal with head lice before so read quite a bit about it.

Sally

I don't know much about how the heads are made, but I would *think* that the manufacturer would make sure the hair was clean. However, if there was still lice (it would probably be the nits, stuck to the hair shaft), they couldn't live without the heat of a real human head. And the actual lice cannot live longer than a day without feeding on human blood.

Sadly, I've had to deal with head lice before so read quite a bit about it.

Sally

Very True! This is only what I read on some threads..It was probably the eggs..They stated they received them from China...

I have seen plenty of crocheted hats on Ebay and the ones with the mannequins look more sanitary to me. I saw one where the model was some greasy-headed guy ( no offense to greasy-headed guys).

Yarncat uses a mannequin and her hats are lovely to look at.

I just emailed Yarncat..She does have some great pics..LOVE,LOVE LOVE her hats...just beatiful..It's getting a bit cold outside for pics...I was just talking with my hubby the other day,I would like to make a space for a studio,he works with leather motorcytcle seats and he also needs somewhere to take pics! One thing is "Pictures are deceiving"!

A 'fake' head is best if it's something to sell. If showing off something you made for a particular person, show them in it if possible.

What I don't always like about fake heads is when they're overly decorated and distract from the finished product. I've seen a few pictures (no idea who at the moment...) that were done with a glass head. That was very cool.

A 'fake' head is best if it's something to sell. If showing off something you made for a particular person, show them in it if possible.

What I don't always like about fake heads is when they're overly decorated and distract from the finished product. I've seen a few pictures (no idea who at the moment...) that were done with a glass head. That was very cool.

Hum :think,glass head!

Keep your eyes open at yard sales. I picked up a dark green glass head for a dollar last year. I don't need it often, but it's nice to have just in case. It looks kind of nifty too sitting on my shelf. Much more decorative than a stryofoam head. I also picked up a full body torso manniquin for a couple dollars. You never know when you are going to find something you might need.

i would only want one that has not been worn. even getting clothes in the stores HAVE to be laundered before even thinking about wearing them. who knows how many bodies they have been on.yuck. other than a quick try on right into the wash in my house.

nadine

I was just going to suggest a glass head too (if you're going to use a non-human head). I've seen them for sale on eBay before, both the clear and cobalt blue ones. They looked very elegant. I've seen other colors too; for example, light green.

Thanks for the links..I really like that clear one!:hug

i would only want one that has not been worn. even getting clothes in the stores HAVE to be laundered before even thinking about wearing them. who knows how many bodies they have been on.yuck. other than a quick try on right into the wash in my house.

nadine

Good point Nadine..Thanks!

Hi...i I think just a plain white styrofoam head (no hair) with the crochet hat on it ....the work speaks for itself...and your work is BEAUTIFUL :hook

Archived