Victorian Christmas Ornaments

MimiFL

Recipients have received their Christmas ornaments, so I can post them here. These are from a Scrap Projects book (I forget the name), and I ended up making these my annual Christmas project. I made 35 in all :tired - mostly assembly line style. ;)

I made them in a variety of colors, mostly green inside and red outside (those were easier because the green is thicker), a few red inside/green outside, and then I varied the middle rows - gold/gold metallic, gold/off-white metallic, or silver/metallic. The edgings are made in a darker color that matches the last row on each square. I even made a white/gold one for someone whose Christmas decor is, well, white and gold.

I used Royale and/or Aunt Lydia's for the colors, Knit-CroSheen for the metallics, and Grandma's Best for the darker edgings (which worked well because GB is thinner so the picots were better defined).

The great thing about these is there's absolutely no sewing involved. Each ornament has 2 little squares that are crocheted separately - just 3 rows/colors each time, which makes it really easy to memorize the pattern. The squares are then crocheted together (the picot row) with a darker color and the handle is worked as part of that row. And because it's double thick, there's no stiffening involved. The only downside is the number of ends to weave in.

Couple of disclaimers: 1. They look much better in person. 2. It's hard to capture the shimmering metallic thread on camera. Anyway, I hope you like them. :stocking

cv_victorian_ornaments_batch2.jpgcv_victorian_ornament_white.jpg

cv_victorian_ornament_gold.jpgcv_victorian_ornament_offwhite.jpg

These are beautiful. I have all the colours, so they will be next years ornies. I start Christmas right after Dec 25, :lol work on things for the winter months, usually Jan and Feb. What I don't do, I make up 'kits', with all the materials.:hook then start again in the fall. Wish I knew how to post pictures. Jan.

For those of you interested in making these, the pattern can be found in the Big Book of Scrap Crochet Projects, published by the House of White Birches and edited by Vicki Blizzard. The pattern is called Holiday Scrap Ornaments. You can find the book on Amazon.com. :)

WOW!! They are stunning!

I love the gold thread! What a great way to use up some scrap thread and have beautiful gifts at the same time!

Linda

Archived