Crochet New Year's Resolutions

I've been sitting and thinking about my New Year's resolutions, and what they are going to be this year. I've decided to make myself a set of crochet resolutions for the coming year, for instance, I'm going to resolve to learn some new stitches that I've avoided in the past because they're difficult for me.

1. I'm going to learn how to do back-post stitches. I know how to do front-post stitches, but when it came to back-post, my brain just goes into freeze mode and I can't figure them out. There are lots of other stitches that I'd like to learn how to do, and as I come across new stitches, I'm going to just learn how to do them instead of wishing that I knew how to do them!

2. I'm going to do some things in Tunisian crochet. I sat one night and taught myself how to do the stitch, and was amazed at how simple it really was to do, but have still balked at doing projects in Tunisian. Why that is I do not know, but I've avoided it. Not in 2008. :hook

3. I'm going to do a LOT of thread work in 2008. I can't wait to get into making doilies and other lacy things! For my friend's birthday at the end of November I had made her a tablecloth to put under one of her angel figures (she collects them). I used a doily pattern and did it in white WW yarn, and it came out beautifully! She liked it so much that she has already "pre-ordered" her birthday gift for next year - she wants a tree skirt, and I want to make her a beautiful one out of thread instead of yarn, so that's going to be on my thread project list as well.

4. I'm going to TRY to cut down on my UFOs in 2008. I'm going to make a concerted effort to finish as many things as I can before going on to other things. This is probably going to be the toughest thing I'm going to try to do, because I can't help it, when I see a project that I want to start, I drop what I'm already working on and I start it, and I end up with tons of unfinished stuff. I want to stop that if at all possible, and finish projects before going on to others.

Those are my main crochet goals for 2008. Does anyone else have goals that they have set for themselves for the coming year?

Elle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have also made a couple of crochet resolutions. I would like to learn to tat ( I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being a traitor to crochet!!). :thinkI also want to try using different sizes of thread. I've always used size 10 on thread projects. It's time to get brave and try size 20!!:jumpyay

Wow~

I'm glad others are thinking about plans for 2008.

I had put all crochet aside for most of 2007~so I plan on doing alot more hooking.

I want to be able to give beautiful homemade gifts in 2008.

I want to have dish rags made up so that I can give them away when ever I want....I love to just give goodies away on the spur of the moment.

I have a few items that I want to complete in 2008.

1) the Infinity Wrap from Interweave Winter issue

2) a couple of round ripples~1 in rainbow colors for a friend that loves rainbows and the other in hunter, burgandy and cream

3) many scarves, a cardigan for myself

just to name a few.

Plus I would love to learn to do simple knitting....just to do dishrags and such. Nothing fancy.

Blessings for a Great 2008

mgf~:yay

I have two main goals for 2008.......

1. Use up yarn in my stash before buying too much more (although I did just win about 30 skeins of sock yarn on ebay, hopefully it will get here before the New Year otherwise I'll already be in the hole, lol). I have a new baby due in March so I need more space in general in the house.

2. I would love to learn how to make a graph-ghan. I am so intrigued by it but haven't had the time to tackle one yet. I'd love to make one of my daughter and one of my new baby when he/she arrives.

I have two main goals for 2008.......

1. Use up yarn in my stash before buying too much more (although I did just win about 30 skeins of sock yarn on ebay, hopefully it will get here before the New Year otherwise I'll already be in the hole, lol). I have a new baby due in March so I need more space in general in the house.

2. I would love to learn how to make a graph-ghan. I am so intrigued by it but haven't had the time to tackle one yet. I'd love to make one of my daughter and one of my new baby when he/she arrives.

Congratulations on your impending arrival! You may need more space in the house, but a new baby gives you thousands of new things to crochet! :yay Stash reduction. :scrachin Hmmmm. Now that's something that never crossed my mind. I'm always thinking in the opposite direction of how I can INCREASE my stash! :lol

Elle

I'm going to get into thread crochet....doilies and filet.

Yes! This is what I'm looking forward to the most! There are just SO many gorgeous doily patterns available, and the majority of them are free! I have bought myself a couple of Patricia Kristoffersen's books, though, and those are the doilies I'm most looking forward to starting! I got my Christmas bonus from work today (I could have fainted, I've never gotten a four-figure bonus before!) and while I have many sensible things that I need to use the money for, a chunk of it is certainly going to be used for building up my stash of thread and for purchasing the yarn I'm going to need for my Cathedral Window afghan!

Elle

Mine is to complete last years resolution. Partly....... to use of my stash for good since I have been so blessed with acquiring a fantastic yarn stash! I crocheted about 30 preemie hats, need to get those mailed out to somewhere. (I live in TX). I also crocheted 48 six inch granny squares. At the time, it seemed to be the most asked for size. I need to get tags printed out for them and get them mailed out also! And since I did finish my daughters BIG (fits her king size bed) afghan and made one each for the grandboys and one for my son.... I can feel guilt free finishing another one I started years ago. My daughter wants that one too......told her tuff!! its MINE!

Good Luck everyone!!

I want to bite the bullet and try socks with an afterthought heel. I also have to complete my first round ripple because I have decided to make all six of my nieces and nephews round ripples for Christmas 2008. The first one is the catalyst for this. So once I finish Evan's I have to do Jimmy's,Emma's, Matt's, Sophie's and Rosie's! :) These should keep my busy all year I hope.

Let's see:

1. To finish up my wips. I keep making things for others and putting the ones for myself aside (which are all the wips) so it'll be nice to have a two part resolution.

2. Also (and this will be the one I fail on most) to try and weave in some ends as I go instead of waiting for ALL of them after I am done.

3. I'm going to try and not be as picky when picking out patterns. It can take me days to find that one pattern for someone when I know they'll probably love whatever I make them.

Ah. My new year's resolution for the past few years has been the same "be as nice to myself as I am to others". As for crochet, I have decided to make something for myself as a change. There's a vest at groovy crochet that I'm going to make for me. Very retro and still stylish!

I just got a bigger place....no craft room but a room to put my craft stuff (as opposed to the livingroom).

Resolutions include:

1. Do not let the craft stuff take over the livingroom... (maybe the bedroom! :devil)

2. Do more stuff for me....might be a problem because I have to still do the other stuff. :D So looks like I am going to really busy in 2008! I need curtains...and pillows... and etc!

3. Finish some UFOs...mostly stuff started for me!

2008 is the year I'm going to finally use up most of my yarn stash. :yes I am hoping to do that by making blankets and lapghans using yarns I have on hand. I also plan to finally learn how to tat and cro-tat.

Karen

I have hopes of crocheting gifts for birthdays this year, as well as continuing dish cloths in preparation for next Christmas. I am still trying to get slippers done for my family (HA! *I'll* never get a pair at this pace! LOL!). I could do some stash BUILDING. More than anything, I need to find balance. It's been destroyed during the season, as I dropped EVERYTHING to prepare for Christmas~and I'm STILL workin' on it! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Let's see:

2. Also (and this will be the one I fail on most) to try and weave in some ends as I go instead of waiting for ALL of them after I am done.

Ugh! I HATE weaving in ends! Today at 12:15 pm I finished the afghan that I was making for my boss for Christmas! I actually finished crocheting it yesterday and started assembling it last night. It's the "Kaleidoscope" afghan that is in the "Blue Ribbon Afghans From America's State Fairs" book. I was in such a hurry to wrap it and take it to his apartment that I didn't even think about taking a picture of it to post here. I'll ask him at work tomorrow if he can go get it for me so that I can take a pic to post so y'all can see what it looks like. In a nutshell, there are HUNDREDS of ends to weave in, and I had to do ALL of them after I assembled the afghan. By the time I was finished I was ready to KILL. I was so tensed up because I couldn't wait to get it done, and I was SO tempted to just knot some of them tightly and clip them close, but I had dozens of hours into crocheting this project and there was no way I was going to risk it for a moment's impatience. Scrap afghans are some of the most gorgeous afghans there are, but with scraps come ends. Lots and lots of ends. I think I, too, should adopt your resolution to weave as I go and not wait until the end.

Elle

:yarnI am going to make some baby afghans up ahead so I won't be so rushed when someone is having a baby and I need to get a blanket done quickly. I have a pattern with squares that I like and I am going to just make squares in baby colors in my waiting times like at the doctor.

:yarn I am going to learn some new stitches for my granny squares. I bought

the 365 days a year perpetual calendar and boy I can go crazy with that!

:yarn I bought some pattern books in 2007 that I haven't made anything from them yet, so I plan to make some potholders and lots of cotton household items to give as gifts and for exchanges later in the year. This way I can use all of the cotton yarn that I have and love!

:yarn I plan on working from my stash of yarn more and get it used up. I will do that by working on my charity afghans for cancer kids.

My goals for 2008 are:

1. start working on next Christmas' gifts in January (as opposed to waiting until October)

2. make some things for me

3. use more of what's in my stash

Since I have been crocheting for almost a year....this is my first crochet reolutions.

:crocheting Try to use up stash yarn. Maybe difficult since I have so many sized and colored balls left.

:crocheting Only buy yarn for a project I plan to do. Unessary yarn buying because it is on sale or free shipping after $45. Of course this does not apply to my Christmas $$ that I plan on buying random yarns on sale online....:lol

:crocheting I need to not be so afraid of making a wearable. I need to be challenged more and need to try to understand patterns more and construction of a sweater.

:crocheting Need a well written explanation on how to sew squares together.

:crocheting try to find a basic class on sewing...it would help my crochet skills.

That is it for now.

My goals for 2008 are:

1. start working on next Christmas' gifts in January (as opposed to waiting until October)

I was just saying to my husband tonight that I am going to do the same thing. This year I started my Christmas crochet at the end of NOVEMBER, and I am STILL finishing up a gift for my friend. I finished my boss's afghan on Christmas Day at noon. Fortunately we all live here at work, so I just wrapped it and took it over to his apartment and he loved it! But I have NEVER been this far behind in gifts before. Of course, working 104 hours a week could have something to do with it, but my boss is VERY cool and he lets me crochet at work, so there was really no excuse for getting that far behind. Not in 2008. I am starting my gifts for 2008 right after New Year's, and if I make something for someone, and that person ends up to not be working here by next Christmas, I'll just keep it for someone else. That's it. No more last minute rushing around for me.

Elle

Elle: I have a Tunisian pattern book I can spare if you're interested. I ended up with two copies. You know how it is; if you want to find the missing object, replace it.:oops

Boswifedeb: If you want to learn tatting, I suggest you try needle tatting. It's much faster and easier than shuttle tatting and you'll be halfway to knowing how to cro-tat.

Now for my resolutions: Finish those UFO"s

Use up some of that stash.

Learn some new techniques.

As I read all the new year's post I was thinking what my new years resolution will be and I know the first one is to learn filet crochet and to make thread dollies. I have already made a promise to myself to finish the WIP that I started so that is always my goal when I start a new crochet project. Another resolution is to knit something other than a scraf for myself and to branch out into trying to knit socks. As for buying yarn I will try to stick to buying yarn only for the projects that I will be working on, but this is not a resolution for I always end up coming home with more yarn. Have a great New Years everyone.

Archived