Favorite Yarn Winder? I just received the Blue Royal from my DHSanta!

Cotton Candee

Which yarn winder would you recommend only if you have used it before?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which yarn winder would you recommend only if you have used it before?

• Jumbo Royal
    • Blue Royal
    • Pioneer
    • Red Pioneer
    • One not listed that you will post details on!

IMG_1005.JPG

I have all these large cones and it is hard to be mobile with my crocheting unless I hand wind the balls myself. The larger cone in the back is white #10 thread that is bright and works well but that cone is 20 pounds alone! That is what I want the winder. I am just not happy that the middle holes are all so big. With the threads, I am scared it will tangle or just fall apart. If you look close, you can see a 3 1/2" dragon I crocheted at the bottom of the large cone for reference.

Nevermind the winder. I want all those cones of yarn! GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!:devil

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy the Royal blue yarn winder...but I see two of them at Joanns, one in red color and the other is in black and white....and it doesn't say "Royal Blue" yarn winder

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jspCATID=cat2074&PRODID=prd20753#review

So I'm not sure if its the correct one. Has anyone bought it from there? is this the Royal blue Yarn winder?

OR...where do I get it?

Thankyou,

Cinlee :hug

• 2 months later...

I never thought I would be able to afford a winder so I didn't think I'd ever have one. Last month though I decided to use a 40% off JoAnn.com coupon to splurge with my clinical trial money for that week.

Their website doesn't let you use coupons on sale items, or more than one coupon. I went online and found it was already on sale! I figured what the heck and entered my coupon code and sure enough, I ended up getting the Royal Blue for 24.99 (retail there 49.99). I didn't complain!

I have been using it like mad the month I have had it, as well as my husband who has been helping me. I don't know WHAT I ever did without a winder and now consider them a necessity and not a splurge.

I love my Royal Blue. I didn't know that was what I was getting as no brand is marked at the website, but that is indeed what it is. (The other one they have you will see at their website has red accents--that is NOT the Royal Blue. The higher priced one is. HTH.)

I LOVE it!

• 4 months later...

I would love to have a yarn winder! I have spent tons and tons of time hand winding my scraps into little balls and it get fustrating cause I always seem to tangle up the yarn and have to spend more time untangling it.

Thanks for the reviews...now I know which one to ask for.. :devil

I dont have a yarn winder yet but my mom does. and she knows that i want one. so im hopeing that 1 of the santas in my family will get me one for christmass. hint hint happyoldcro.:yarn:hook:hug:manyheart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I got my Blue Royal with a 50% off coupn at JoAnns last month. Yesterday hubby came in from his woodshop with a surprise....

th_DSCN0010-5.jpg

He found the pattern free online here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/SewUseful%3a-Portable-Tabletop-Yarn-Swift-for-windi/

It works great! Thank you DH! :manyheart

I am wanting the JUMBO one because I wish to wind a myriad of boucle pounder skeins I have that turn to seaweed if I don't - and I don't want to make several small cakes out of one but one large one - the only thing is it is so costly - I have it as a wish - not a need right now ;)

You are right - for scraps and smaller skeins the blue winder is fine -but as I said the base wasn't large enough to accomadate my unruly boucle pounders - they do not have a center pull - and they flop around when you pull from them and your arm gets tired of pulling at it and it also stretches the yarn you are using too much.

This yarn is worth taking the time to wind - I used to wind it into balls on my own - but my hand would ache as the ball was soooo big by the time I was done!

Archived