Toys needed in South Africa

Tiga

I just read this story in the Christian Science Monitor, and I am in tears: Toy Library

It's about how in South Africa, they have over 100 "toy libraries" where, for 16 cents a year, a child can check out two toys for two weeks to take home and play with. Because the children have no toys at all.

And they don't, apparently, have charities like we do in the US that collect gently used toys to give to kids without toys to keep forever.

No. They get to borrow them, two at a time, for 14 days.

Anyway, at the end of the article, they have info on how to help, and I'd like to be able to at least send some crocheted dolls so the girls can have their own dolls to keep forever and ever. I'm not sure what sort of crocheted toys boys would play with!

As well, I know I've been looking to donate some of my daughter's old toys, but none of the charities want used toys anymore. So it looks like I'll be sending some stuff to South Africa.

Let's see if we can get enough toys to them that the kids can get to keep some toys for a change! :cheer

wow. i am in tears after reading that. and here we have been shopping for weeks straight to make sure that our two year old has enough presents to unwrap even though our house is already overflowing with toys.

thank you for sharing that, it is the most important thing i have seen this Christmas and i will share it with as many people as possible.

as i was reading it i picked up the phone to call my grandmother. she and my grandfather spent two and a half years in Botswana as a part of the Peace Corps, so this hit especially close to home for her.

thank you again and Merry Christmas!

I have a few ideas for the boys. I have had to be creative here with my nephews. I make them little snakes and also the hacky sacks. I have some hacky's to a friends son who was 11 and the next day all his friends wanted them also. So that is a easy and popular one here at least. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Hi tiga, I am very eager to help out, and make some toys, unfortunely, I must wait as I am moving soon, but I will be in touch, again. Thanks for sharing and caring, Marjie

I'll have to check on the least expensive way to ship to S.A. for us, but I know that in the past I've sent things as far away as Australia, and it's really not as expensive as you might think. Obviously, the lighter you can keep the packages the better.

This is a great cause. I'm in the UK and earlier this year I found a small London based charity who are gathering up toys (mostly second hand) to send to Africa They are called Algerian Action. I didn't have any toys not being at that stage of life where there are children around me but I did send them a box of my crocheted cushions for the fundraising.

The postage from UK to Algeria is horrendous as they have to pay door to door or else the items get stolen when they hit Algeria. Still it is worth it to know sometimes that we are doing something. I know hand knitted teddies are very popular in parts of Africa too as they can be given to boys or girls (so crocheted animal toys might be an idea:hook) and I thinks some charities give them to hospitals so that ill children who have never had a toy can be comforted and then they get to keep it.

It is all quite distressing when I think of how many toys our local charity shop (thrift shop) throws out because people donate them but nobody wants to buy them!? :thinkAll the best of luck with you toy scheme I will watch this post with interest...Crochetville always gives me inspiration and ideas!:manyheart

Archived