Help with a curling hat edge

SassyCMA06

Question

I am trying to make a winter hat for my BIL for Christmas. It is a pretty simple pattern of incr and sc's. The problem is, the edge of the hat keeps curling inward! What should I do?? Hopefully its something simple since I need it finished by Christmas! lol

Should I just put in a few rows of BLO or FLO? Would that make it worse?

Here is the link to the pattern... http://www.piece-by-piece.net/Patterns/fp45.htm

Thanks! :hug

5 answers to this question

You either need to put in more increases before working straight or move to a larger hook.

I assume that you mean it is closing in. Are you very sure you are not decreasing by skipping a stitch at the beginning?

Changing to BLO or FLO will not help this. I looked at the pattern and it's pretty standard. Your piece shouldn't be curling in.

Are you using the correct weight yarn and hook? If you are, then it sounds to me also

like you are not increasing enough. It could be that you are skipping a st somewhere.

If you crochet very tightly, maybe you just need to put one extra increase in the rows where it starts to curl.

Also, can you try it on a man's head and see how the fit is coming along? It might be just fine.

Changing to BLO or FLO will not help this. I looked at the pattern and it's pretty standard. Your piece shouldn't be curling in.

Are you using the correct weight yarn and hook? If you are, then it sounds to me also

like you are not increasing enough. It could be that you are skipping a st somewhere.

If you crochet very tightly, maybe you just need to put one extra increase in the rows where it starts to curl.

Also, can you try it on a man's head and see how the fit is coming along? It might be just fine.

Actually, I just looked at the pattern again. It says to use light-worsted weight yarn or sport weight. I'm usuing regular RH worsted weight. And, I do tend to crochet a bit tight. It is the first time I've used this particular pattern so its possible I missed something somewhere. Looks like I'll have to frog and start all over again! :irk

So. If I add all the increases in the right places and crochet a bit looser and use the lighter weight yarn, it won't curl? Or should I try bumping up the hook size? I really would like to use the yarn I bought since its camo and he can then use the hat when he goes out hunting.

Actually, I just looked at the pattern again. It says to use light-worsted weight yarn or sport weight. I'm usuing regular RH worsted weight. And, I do tend to crochet a bit tight. It is the first time I've used this particular pattern so its possible I missed something somewhere. Looks like I'll have to frog and start all over again! :irk

So. If I add all the increases in the right places and crochet a bit looser and use the lighter weight yarn, it won't curl? Or should I try bumping up the hook size? I really would like to use the yarn I bought since its camo and he can then use the hat when he goes out hunting.

If you crochet tightly, I would go up a hook size. tightly crocheted hats don't leave much room for stretching to fit.

Test the hat on your own head as you may not need as many increases if you use a larger hook and heftier yarn. :hug

I agree with Darski. If your sts are tight, go up a hook size. My Mom used to say that you do what you need to do to get it to come out right. If you need to go up a hook size or 2, then I would do it.

Since you are using worsted weight, the hat would normally come out a bit bigger than the pattern states, but if you crochet tightly, that might compensate for it.

Even the person's hair can make a difference in what you do with a hat. One of my sisters has so much hair, that if she lets it grow at all, she can't get hats big enough. I cut her hair and get it under control, and the next thing we know, it's like a bush again. We're always laughing about it. She has enough hair for 2 people annd the hairdressers usually did a worse job than I do. Last time I cut her hair, it came out so nice, and she asked me what my secret was. Ha, ha, ha! I talk to it. I ask it to cooperate with me, and I tell it I'm not harming it, but trimming it up so it will be it's prettiest. Then it behaves for me. I know it sounds silly, but it works!

Anyway, the camo is so popular, and he'll probably love it, so persevere.

Archived