substitute for Catania ???

calypso15

After a long hiatus from my humble beginnings in crochet I have been inspired to try again- I found a pattern which uses Schachenmayr Catania. I finally found it online - but I was thinking maybe I should try something a little less expensive and more readily available-- What can I substitute which may found in Michaels, Joanns, Walmart, or ACMoore? (Hoping to stay with cotton)

Thanks!

Tammy

lion brand cotton, peaches and cream, sugar and creme are all 100% cotton. cotton blends also work good too. Lion brand has a nice cotton blend.

looks like Catania is a dk / sportweight #3 yarn. You could substitute with Patons Grace, Bernat Cool Crochet, Plymouth Wildflower, or any other mercerized cotton yarn of the same weight. Just be sure and swatch to get your gauge correct, especially if you're going to be making clothing.

Or go to yarndex.com and to an advanced search for dk weight, cotton, plied and see the yarns listed

http://www.yarndex.com/search.cfm?action=search_adv&ss=DK+Cotton,Plied&wt_1=&wt_2=&wt_3=on&wt_4=on&wt_5=on&wt_6=&yarn_weight_id=47&fiber_id=6&texture_id=134&CFID=9673608&CFTOKEN=34270654

Thanks for info!! I know it must seem a really simplistic question, but as a beginner, all the choices and types of yarn is truly bewildering!;)

Takes a while to figure out the yarn chocies - you might want to stop into your LYS just to handle some of the different yarns and get a visual on what they look like. Read the labels of different yarns at your local Joann's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc., and see what the different weights look like (#1 - #6).

Archived