Alpaca Hats and Scarves

Pistachio

After lurking unregistered for months, I've finally gotten over the shyness about posting my projects and I've chosen these two hat/scarf sets to break the ice!

They're both made from Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends in Peony and Sky, which is a warm and cuddly bulky weight yarn, but for some reason it has a metallic odor and made my hands dirty (anyone else worked with it?). I'm going to have to wash everything before they're worn.

The pink hat is based on the "Weaving Ribbon Cloche" pattern from Hooked Hats by Margaret Hubert. I subsituted the double crochet for the "up and down" stitch (1 sc, 1 dc, rinse and repeat, alternate on next row, etc.) for more interesting texture. The pattern also called for a contrasting yarn for the "ribbon," but instead I used the same stuff and split it to make it thinner. The curl happened naturally. The blue hat was just a couple different stitches thrown together, and both accompanying scarves were made from the stitches used in the hats.

They're simple and soft. Perfect for Christmas in New England!

pinkset.jpg

blueset.jpg

Very pretty!! "I finally got to feel "alpaca yarn" at a craft fair. So soft!! Both sets are beautiful--but since I have 4 granddaughters--the pink is my fave!!:crocheting

I bought some of that yarn for a scarf. I didn't notice that it got my hands dirty or smelled funny, but it did shed. Everywhere. It looked like I had let the alpaca loose in my house. Did you have that problem?

Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone!

And yes, it does shed for me. A lot. Especially all over my black wool peacoat. The stupid thing is I feared that's what the yarn would do, but I liked it so much I bought it anyway. I've now (almost) convinced myself that the hair is a badge of honor. Almost.

Archived