Thread Potholder

Becks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two thread potholders that were crocheted by my grandmother. Yellow and white checkerboard type of box stitch type of patten <lol> I looks like she made one big square and then folded the corners into the center - sewed them together to form a doubled fabric for the potholder. I love them (they're not in use- just for keeps).

Wow, that is really awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain how it was done. All the great photos are really helpful too! I'm not sure that I quite understand having so many extra chains at the beginning before making your first dc, but I am definitely going to give this mesh pattern a try.

I think you need five chains at the end of your chain, (besides the amount needed to ensure you have the proper number of "squares" needed for your grid).

Five chains will ensure that it will form a 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 grid square as you double crochet in the 4th chain away from your hook.

Then, finish the row with five extra chains so when you begin the next row above, you double crochet in the 4th chain and this makes a square again.

(I'm just horrible at explaining things!) :lol

• 2 years later...

bumping this thread in hopes that more ppl will have something to contribute. I am trying to use Omak's Amazing Grid Hotpad pattern but it isn't very clear. After searching here, I came up with this one thread so now, I am going to design my own hotpad I think!

I can't view any of the patterns. It says I need to sign in and need a password!

In post 81 is the actual pattern that I have, you hsould be able to click it without needing a password. One the first page, the pictures that the OP posted are no longer linked for some reason. However, if you keep reading, there are other pictures that ppl have posted that are still linked. You have to keep in mind that this thread was started quite some time ago.

The place I was hosting my photos at in the beginning of this thread went out of business. I saved a few of the photos over at photobucket and can re-post them here for you. (Click on the photos to enlarge them.)

th_marvin051.jpg

These are the Valentines hotpad and the Easter Bunny hotpad along with the Easter basket coaster.

th_marvin050.jpg

th_marvin047.jpgth_marvin049.jpg

These photos show the backs of the hotpad and coaster.

th_marvin044.jpgth_marvin045.jpg

Front and back of heart.

th_marvin035.jpgth_marvin036.jpg

This is the front and back of the booklet I used> It's really wonderful. I've made lots and lots of them since these. And I've even made chairpads using Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn.

I posted these in my blog here.

I've also made up my own patterns one of which I gave for an auction here at Crochetville a couple of years ago.

I've got three that have the card suit symbols on them. I need to make one more. I can't remember if it was the Clubs suit. But anyway, I sort of just got into other things and never made that last potholder.

I could dig them out and photo them for you if you like. Plus, I think I have all the seasons made into potholders too. I gave a set to my neice but I think I have a set for myself too. I have so much stuff packed away it's embarrassing. :P

th_thread009-1.jpgth_thread010-1.jpg

Oh! Here's a pillow top I made too using the same squiggly technique with thread. Front and back. I never did make this into a pillow either.

Becks! Thank you so much for reposting those for us to see. The heart and bunny were still intact on the previous post but the very first ones were not! I love the multi heart ones! I broke down and ordered the booklet you got them from! I just cannot get them to come out right so I don't know what I am doing. :confused So in a couple weeks I will have my booklet!! (Plus a few others that I didn't need) :lol

th_DSC00001-32.jpg

Here's a photo of a set of the hotpads I made in the book. (Click to enlarge). I added the face on the jack-o-lantern myself. It's not too difficult to figure out how.

th_DSC00002-31.jpg

And here's a photo with the lower right one being the same as the one I made for the auction here at Crochetville. (I forgot who "won" that one.) But I had to make one for myself as well.

And then the other three are ones I made of playing card suits. It's the Spades one that I still need to make. I was planning on making it by turning the hearts one upside-down and adding a stem to it like the clubs one.

Oh you'll really love the booklet! It's very easy to understand and the patterns are great!!! :clap

I hope so! :lol I ordered some other books as well and was doing such manic shopping I don't remember what I ordered!

th_DSC00001-32.jpg

Here's a photo of a set of the hotpads I made in the book. (Click to enlarge). I added the face on the jack-o-lantern myself. It's not too difficult to figure out how.

th_DSC00002-31.jpg

And here's a photo with the lower right one being the same as the one I made for the auction here at Crochetville. (I forgot who "won" that one.) But I had to make one for myself as well.

And then the other three are ones I made of playing card suits. It's the Spades one that I still need to make. I was planning on making it by turning the hearts one upside-down and adding a stem to it like the clubs one.

:clap I love all of your hotpads!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Archived