Thread Potholder

Becks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how my husbands grandmother made all of her pot holders. I'll see if I can get the scanner to work and scan one of hers in. I still use them. I really would like to learn how to do this. I could never find anyone to teach me. I can't seem to make them as "tight" as she did. Mine are so limp. Can you e-mail me and help me,please? You really must know what your doing.

I am so sorry I haven't been able to find them yet, but i have one more place to look(and that's probably where they'll be!):think

I think if I could hold one of these in my hand and look at the darn thing, I could understand the directions for making them, but for the lilfe of me, I'm not quite getting it right now. I'll see if I can find the leaflets mentioned above, maybe they'll help me "see' this better. Hope so, because this looks like the perfect thing for some Christmas gifts I want to make! Your sample look absolutely gorgeous -- love the designs and the colors you chose!

Lene'

I have one of those!!:hook I found it at a garage sale and just loved it!! I think it's black, pink, white, and turquoise. Mine is a rectangle and definately reminded me of a throw rug. I'll try and get a pic posted later when hubby gets home and hooks up my jump cable.

This is so weird. I just printed out a pattern on the internet for an odd hotpad that I wanted to try for one of my swaps. And I think it's a very similiar pattern to the blue & white one shown. What do you all think?

Omak's Amazing Grid Hotpad

Lanette!!!!

Those potholders are just beautiful!!!

They look like they were made exactly the same way as mine.

Just beautiful!!!! I'm so glad you showed us the pictures.

They are so neat! I like the square pattern too. :)

And diamond, that potholder looks the same too. I wish they showed us the back. It looks like they made their squares a bit differently.

Now you all have a description in a pattern on how to do it so hopefully you can understand how to make them now. YAY!!!:cheer

Hey guys! Fran sent me this terrific booklet she got on clearance at Hobby Lobby which has six holiday designs using this technique!!

It is by Jeanette Crews Designs

It's called Hot Stuff For The Holidays.

I wanted to post a picture of the booklet so you could see all the cool things you can do, (once you know what you're doing! LOL!!). Maybe you might find it in a store near you.

Here's the front and back of the booklet.

th_marvin035.jpgth_marvin036.jpg

I am definately making these! I need to get me some thread! :remember

:ty so much Fran!!!!!!!:D

Lanette!!!!

And diamond, that potholder looks the same too. I wish they showed us the back. It looks like they made their squares a bit differently.

Now you all have a description in a pattern on how to do it so hopefully you can understand how to make them now. YAY!!!:cheer

Becks, there is a link on the page I had sent to see the back of the potholder's grid. Back

Original link: Pattern

Thanks, diamond! I'm such a dork! How more obvious could they have put that link to the back? And yet, I totally didn't see it??!!:lol

I made a couple of the hot pads this weekend and had to show you-all...

th_marvin044.jpgth_marvin046.jpgth_marvin048.jpgth_marvin050.jpg

(Please click on the pics for a larger view).

The last picture I took so you could see the size comparison between the coaster and the trivet.

I think the coaster size ones would make fantastic sachets. If you made two, put some yummy smelling potpourri in the middle and sewed it together. (The smaller heart one in the pattern book above would be a really nice Valentine gift.)

Yay! Thanks Beck! I always like looking at the back of things....along with the front, the sides, the inside.....must be the anal accountant in me coming out! :D

• 3 months later...

I must tell you that the original pattern for this hotpad is in a 1948 Workbasket magazine! I happen to have an issue.

I have also snapped up these gems whenever I have found them at garage sales. I bought a couple of them in mint condition for 5 cents each. Can you imagine?:clap

I have made 1 of these using a solid color thread and a variegated thread, alternating the colors every other row. Not fancy, but still very pretty. It took almost a full ball of each thread. Think I did more dc-ing in each grid so it was nice and thick. :D

That is interesting all the pictures you are making with this technique! So pretty!

Interesting to note how these vintage patterns have a way of making themselves known to today's crochet artists!

Archived