chemo beanies

cupcake

A while ago I asked for some advice on making some beanies for a dear friend undergoing chemo.

I made the first one in plain black which fitted her well, and have since made a few more.

This one is in a steel grey and I made a pin on flower if she wants to jazz it up a bit. This one is for her to wear to Mass over the Christmas break as she is a devout Catholic.

img9672cvb4.th.jpg img9670ckk0.th.jpg

This is her bling hat with a bit of sparkle in one of the yarns. This is for the Christmas events.

img9682cpk1.th.jpg

and these are her happy hats. She asked for some bright rainbow coloured ones.

pict0009ta2.th.jpg img9676cut6.th.jpg

I used a bamboo cotton mix for a couple of them. I have never used this yarn before but it is lovely and soft, however splits as it is like a stranded yarn. This nearly drove me nutty, but the finish was nice.

The stripey green one is a wool nylon mix and lovely and soft.

I thought I would make a range for her, that way she can try them on and take what she wants! She did ask for a plain white one so I will do that next. She has just had her second chemo and looked pretty terrible and was so down when I saw her on the weekend.

thanks for looking.

Those are all lovely,I'm sure she will absolutely love them all! As they are also given with love she will treasure them all the more. :)

They are so nice! I'm sure she loves them. My DH is going through Chemo, so I know what an ordeal it is. God Bless her and you! Both in my prayers. I love the Bling and the happy hats!!

What yarn was the black hat done in?

Cupcake: The hats are beautiful, as is everything you put your hook to. These are especially nice because of your thoughtfulness and caring for your friend. I'm sure you lifted her spirits when you gave them to her.

Thank you for all your nice words. I popped in to see her this afternoon and she was tickled pink! She loves the black one I left on the weekend, and today I remembered to take a mirror with me so she could have a look.

She was in much better spirits today and feeling a little better. She laughed at the Christmas bling one as she is not a bling type of girl, (while I am) and said she would wear it proudly all of Christmas. The steel grey one with the flower looked really good on her as well. I am thinking I might do her a red one in a similar style as it will be months for her without hair.

It was a nice moment to see her so excited about them. I had also done a white one out of cotton which she liked for the beach. So that gives her 6 for her different moods.

I must say I was touched by how appreciative she was.

• 2 weeks later...

Your hat wardrobe is great. Maybe you could make some bright and pastel flowers, or butterflies to attach to the white or black ones, depending on her mood? Just a suggestion. The hats are so pretty, they don't need anything.

Archived