Offended by sign on door of LYS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have MS and things like colds and infections and flu can make me have an exacerbation (meaning, I could have some weird or horrible neurological thing happen to me if I get a fever)

I'm so not wanting to become paralyzed, even temporarily, because someone's kid sneezed all over a skein of yarn that I'm using to crochet a seraphina shawl with.

I try to not go anywhere when I have a cold or some sort of pestilence going on. I dont want to pass it off to anyone, and I dont want to get anything more nasty back because I went out with a lowered immune system.

it irks me at work to have a fellow employee come in obviously under a cold's influence and to be sneezing and coughing and complaining about not being well, all the time infecting the rest of us. I only get paid when I work so for me to call in sick is to go a day without pay and I'm a single mother who cannot afford to miss even one day's pay.

Perhaps they are there sick because they too, cannot afford to miss a day's pay.

Everyone has their own opinion...

But I would have been offended and not come back... Many older people have problems with all kids not just sick ones...my grandmother included. She goes out to the stores when she knows she shouldn't be exposed. Then complains because others are out there shopping with colds....

I do not go out unless I have to get juice or medication for my child/children when they are sick. But many times, after they have a cold or infection, they still have the sniffles or a little cough. So I'm not allowed out shopping then???? I can shop when I want and can choose where I spend my money. But then I can choose not to go to LYS and support their business. No one can tell me my child touched something when I order online or from Walmart, JoAnns or Michaels.

I am blown away by this thread. Our everyday world is full of every kind of germ and bacteria. Hospitals are a hotbed of illness that is airborne. Schools breed the bacteria.

The way I see it is you can put up all the signs in the world, but they will still be there the minute the door opens. You can hide, but you can't put children in plastic bags. Perhaps the solution is to put the yarn in plastic. In Japan many people are wearing masks over their nose and mouth as part of their regular attire. Also having worked in retailing many years, I find the employees are the worst offenders in the cleanliness area. How many of them actually wash their hands when leaving the rest rooms?

I agree with NeedSleep. If you are in any customer service or retail establishment, you have to face the fact that you are going to deal with weirdos, illness and many more quirks that are part of the human phsychological and physical makeup. If you have immuno deficiency, then it is up to you to know what places you can go to or not.

You are responsible for your own health.

Impressions are very misleading, and we as humans are too quick to judge others without having all the facts. You can have rhinitis, sinusitis or allergies and it will appear to others that you are ill. What about restaurants and public transportation? What about the parent who can't afford a baby sitter. Are we now telling her (especially with the busy Holiday season) that she can't craft, or make presents because one of her children has a cold? We need to live and let live, and accept the fact that once we venture into public areas, we accept the dangers as well as the pleasures that come with it. If we keep judging and picking at each other we will soon be like the lemmings, running off a cliff.

I don't think its offensive at all - I kinda like that the owner had the guts to post such a thing. It would make me WANT to shop there.

I'm sitting at home sick right now - my cold has taken a turn for the worse. I went to work Mon & Tues only to have comments made to me about "spreading my germs" just before the holidays - yet when I called in this morning to let the boss lady know I was staying home, I got the cold shoulder & a guilt trip! At least the LYS owner isn't sending any mixed messages.

:sick

Kelly...are you sure you aren't on the beach in NC? My former boss was exactly the same way. If you called out it was 'well, if you MUST'. Um, yes I must, I have pneufreakinneumonia and am hacking up a lung every time I inhale. But if you came in and sniffled...you got sent home so you don't infect anyone else because 'we can't afford to have an epidemic start' and she's passing around the alcohol wipes for the phones and keyboards.

As for not wanting snotty nosed little darlings handling the yarn, or worse...puking in it. I have to agree with protecting the product the store is selling. You really can't wash most yarns before using, and have them look and feel the same. If you have to shop while your kid is visibly sick, get a friend to watch them for a bit so you can run out.

Maybe the owner of the store or a worker has an immunodeficiency, so that is why the sign was erected. Bottom line is, they can refuse service to anyone, but the owner is merely asking for consideration before you enter the store.

"No shirt, no shoes, nose snot, no service." :)

Yes, but instead of singling out children, as if the mere act of being a child is cause for disinfection of the store, the sign could have said, "Due to the severity of this year's cold and flu season, please refrain from shopping in person if you or your shopping companions are ill. We'll be happy to take your special order over the phone for pick up when everyone is feeling better!"

This way, kids with runny noses and dirty hands don't pet the yarn (which, frankly, they shouldn't be doing anyway, sick or not sick - I know my 5 year old can tangle a skein of cheap yarn faster than I can blink, and I'd never, ever, ever take her to a high-end yarn shop with one of us being in a strait-jacket!) AND no one gets offended. Plus, the owner might even get a few special orders, to boot.

It's not the message, it is how it was said.

I don't shop at a local art supply store anymore for similar reasons. I'm sure they'd gotten their share of kids getting dropped off to wander, but it couldn't have been many. The store stands alone on a fairly empty highway, with no school, mall or other shopping center around.

Anyway, I needed some paper for copying sewing patterns onto, and figured they might have it and I didn't feel like ordering from online like I usually do. So, I went in, taking my developmentally delayed 5 year old with me.

We'd had a long talk in the car about how AOE is a grown up store, and how she had to have grown up manners and she was on her best behavior. She did make her mandatory potty stop (she has to check out the potty at every store, lol), but was behaving quite nicely.

Unlike the store staff, which was ignoring me. And then there was the snotty sign on the door saying to "control" your children or you will be ejected from the store. There was more, but this was a while ago, and I was so mad, I've rather forgotten most of it.

Anyway, I'm standing at the checkout, waiting for the slow staff to find what it was I was looking for, with Ellie standing quietly next to me. Which for her, is a very big deal. She was, however, sucking on her fingers. She does that. No big deal - as she never, ever touches anything. Ever. She has aversions to touching most things that she is unfamiliar with. Which is why this next part really, really makes me angry - this blankety-blank clerk shouts across the cashier area to "get her hands off those erasers!" One, they had a display of very, very kid-friendly erasers at kid height. We're talking Hello Kitty and Spiderman and the like. Second, why in the world is this man yelling at me? A polite - "Excuse me, would you mind not having her touch the merchandise?" would have been much better. Although, if you would rather not have children touch the children's erasers, you might not want to stock them at children's height, but I digress.

I look at this idiot, and say, "Excuse me? What's the problem?" He replies, "That child is chewing it's fingers. That's disgusting. She touched my erasers with her hands after she had them in her mouth."

First, my child is a she, not an "it" and second, no, she didn't touch your erasers with the hand that is in her mouth, because that hand never leaves her mouth.

Clearly, some people just don't like children and don't want them in their stores and use children's so-called "misbehavior" - which is just normal kid behavior, usually, as an excuse to keep them out.

If the owner of this particular LYS was really concerned about illness, she'd have a sign asking ALL sick people to stay away, not just children. Because your immune system really doesn't care where germs come from.

And if people like the LYS owner and the owner of the art shop in my town don't want kids in their stores, fine. A simple "No Children Under the Age of ____ Permitted" sign is perfectly acceptable and non-offensive. I might choose not to shop there due to inconvenience to me, but I wouldn't be upset over it.

It is when people try to be sneaky or sarcastic (Unattended children will be sold/given a puppy and cup of coffee/etc.) that I get my panties bunched.

There is never any need to be rude.

Why shouldn't yarn stores single out children? A child is much more likely to get bodily fluids on merchandise than an adult. Adults are much more conscious of what they are doing and the impact on others (or at least I'd hope so).

Also, I'm often purchasing yarn for gifts I'm giving to others. While I might be able to handle germs myself, the recipients of my gifts may not be able to handle them, for example, if the crocheted gift is for a baby or an elderly person. (I admit, I don't always wash my gifts before sending out, except blankets.)

Now I'm starting to think smallpox on blankets. Budding germaphobe. :)

I so get that some people just can not handle germs of any kind for whatever reason, one of my mamaws died of cervical cancer but I just can not stay home just because one of my kids has a cold(which by the way right now my youngest has) I was out yesterday getting groceries but if I could've I would have gotten some yarn(oh the joy of having no money). I have no friends,my mil is rarely home and I do mean rarely, my sil is disabled, my hubby is an otr trucker, my sis (well we just won't go there I'll be here all day) and my parents live in fl. which is 600+ miles away give or take plus I cannot afford a babysitter so my kids come with sick or not. My older 2 know not to touch stuff though they do have their moments it's my yougest that would be the problem but if the store has a cart he goes in it because sick or not I don't want any of my kids touching anything and possibly destroying it so I have to buy it. The sign in my opinion should have included everyone, I know adults or at least most know better about touching and what have you but that doesn't mean all do and I have seen some nasty looking adults.However unless someone asks that lys owner why the sign was put up no one will know for sure why it was and really the reason behind it I would think. I reckon this is long enough so I'll quit and I hope no one got offended that's so not my intention but pple have their own opionions and the reasons they feel the way they do.

Priscilla

Why shouldn't yarn stores single out children? A child is much more likely to get bodily fluids on merchandise than an adult. Adults are much more conscious of what they are doing and the impact on others (or at least I'd hope so).

Also, I'm often purchasing yarn for gifts I'm giving to others. While I might be able to handle germs myself, the recipients of my gifts may not be able to handle them, for example, if the crocheted gift is for a baby or an elderly person. (I admit, I don't always wash my gifts before sending out, except blankets.)

Now I'm starting to think smallpox on blankets. Budding germaphobe. :)

Viruses don't live on things for that long, 3 days is what most sources say, so by the time you gift your yarn it should be disease free :)

I'm siding with the store owner. The sign was likely prompted by some sort of extremely unpleasant incident. It's their store and they have the right to do that.

I think the sign is targeted more at parenting than the actual kids. I know a lady whose child hits her in the face and doesn't bat an eye. The kid is a pain obviously but his parents were supposed to teach him better.

Kelly...are you sure you aren't on the beach in NC?

Haha, no, but I am pretty close - on the beach in Southeastern Virginia!

I think, depending on the actual reason behind the sign, that to be less offensive, the sign should have said one of two things. If the sign were put up because of children ruining merchandise it should have said something along the lines of mind your children, or watch your children, because lots of healthy kids can ruin things too. If the sign were put up due to the illness/germ factor it should have said if you or your children are sick please come back another day. Either one I think would have been less offensive (and more suited to whichever situation). I know many parents that take better care for their children's health than they do for their own. We don't have the sick problem as much where I work as a lot of places seem to, but we are also washing our hands a minimum of 30-40 times a day (I work in the infant/toddler room of a daycare), but we occasionally get kids whose parents didn't realize they were sick. Some of these kids we don't realize are sick for several hours. But I can also say that these kids are equally likely to ruin something like yarn healthy or sick because they are constantly putting things in their mouths (as the person who gets to wash and sterilize everything that isn't stuffed or fabric (which goes in the laundry bin) that gets put in anyone's mouth, trust me, there's a lot of things.

I'm thinking if the woman is that afraid of germs maybe should just close her shop in the cold and flu season.

For me, it's not a fear of germs or of a cold or the flu, although because I have a neurological condition that has affected my immune system, it behooves me to try to avoid sickness as much as possible because if there's something going around, I usually get it. My problem with sick children in stores is the fact that they don't usually care if they have globs of whatever hanging out of their little noses, or pukey kids disgorging in inappropriate places, and I've seen the stuff end up on merchandise. So my problem with sick children in stores is the distinct possibility of them depositing something that I don't want to touch on something that I might possibly buy. Plainly put, it's the grossness factor for me much more than the germ factor.

Elle

Elle

So my problem with sick children in stores is the distinct possibility of them depositing something that I don't want to touch on something that I might possibly buy.

there's something to be said about reviving the always-wear-gloves tradition of women in the 50s and earlier ... I know my mom and grandmother always wore them when shopping. AND my grandmother always washed any coins when she got home ... maybe she was a lot smarter than we thought!

Perhaps they are there sick because they too, cannot afford to miss a day's pay.

actually they aren't...they have full benefits (full time teachers) with ample fully paid sick days they could use. whereas I have no benefits or sick days or paid vacations ... and the quarters are very small ....

however, I will NOT bring up the subject at staff meeting until later in the Spring when it's no longer flu season and I'm not feeling any anger or frustration. The subject deserves airing but never with attitude on my part.

First let me say that signs will most likely only be considered by the parent of the well child. The parent with the sick child doesn't really care. She took her child out sick, to yarn shop, why would a sign give her any caution?

It would probably bother me to the point I wouldn't go in. One reason is because my son has allergies. He's not sick but it could seem like he was sick if he sneezed in the store. He does cover his nose because he's been taught to. Again...any parent that would pay attention to the sign is not the intended party & the parties intended don't care.

Another reason is because I've seen the stats for adults that don't wash their hands. Many adults are not any "cleaner" or less germ free than kids. It was on Nightline or 60 minutes last year that even many medical persons like nurses & Drs. are not washing hands when going to the restroom. :think

So no, I think it is naive to think your yarn is clean of germs in the LYS because adults only touched it.

IMO a sign that would be more appropriate would be " Please make sure your hands are clean before handling yarn" & provide a big economy bottle of hand sanitizer on a table with a box of tissues.

I'm on the side of the store. I'm not thrilled with the idea of taking sick children into grocery stores or restaurants, either. A small restaurant near me put a sign on their door asking parents to take screaming and misbehaving (i.e. wandering and unsupervised) kids outside. The story was covered in the papers, and they got hundreds of complimentary letters from across the country.

One of our local grocery stores has a good idea. They have hand sanitizing wipes that you can use to wipe off the handle of your cart and hands. I've only seen this at the one store but I think it is a very good idea. It is a sad situation when a parent brings a child out shopping and in the public when sick. I don't think they would like to be out and about when sick so I don't understand why they think it is ok for the child. Me, I'd rather be home curled up on the sofa with a good book and a hot cup of tea.

All those on "the side of the store", why single out sich children?

Is it okay for sick adults to go yarn shopping? Because while covering our faces with with our hands (and actually, they now say to cough/sneeze into your armpit) might help, do we all rush right off to the loo to give ourselves a surgeon's scrub-down after every sneeze?

No, we do not.

Add to that that bacteria and viruses can be spread simply by breathing (although sneezing and coughing are more efficient ways of spreading them), ALL sick people should stay home.

Everyone saying that the sign is correct seems to be assuming that sick adults without children will make the wise choice to not go yarn shopping. This, of course, will not always be true.

So, the sign SHOULD refer to all sick people, if, in fact, the owner is truly concerned about the spread of illness. Because adults are equally likely to be ill and to spread illness, as illness is not spread only through the sticky hands of small children. Mere close proximity is enough.

The wording of the sign to single out children makes me, and others, think that the store owner is singling out children for another reason. And doing so in a rude manner.

That is the problem we have.

I'm with the store owner on this. I work in a pharmacy, and unfortunately, I'm exposed to all the lovely germs of the cough and cold season (adults are gross creatures, trust me on this one). And, being a person that gets sick easily, and gets bronchitis that lasts through the winter no matter what I take, I don't appreciate being exposed to more germs than I have to be. We don't know what prompted the sign being put up (and frankly, it could be aimed at 1 person and their child), but between compromised immune systems, ruined merchandise, and perhaps fellow customer complaints, I can't blame her for posting the sign.

Sorcha

yikes! if they put a sign like that on a shop door here in the uk, they wouldnt get any custom! every one has a sniffle or a cough at the moment! I work as a pre school assistant and I am myself just recovering from a nasty cough flu type thing, I spent last week cleaning green noses on every child that comes to school! even though I use anti bac hand gel and wash my hands well, unless I resort to surgical face mask and gloves there is no way I can avoid germs! and what is the store owner asking, that you don't expose staff to ill ness so they don't get ill? or that you dont leave germs on the yarn.......? how long does the cold virus live in yarn anyhow? more than likely the shop owner does not what any staff members off sick! I would have been temped to write "and a merry christmas to you too!" on the bottom of the sign! :)

Archived