Calling All Threadies...........

froggy

I am going to try thread this year 2008 come you know where or high water! What I am wanting to know is, I went and bought a 1000 yard ball of Aunt Lydias white crochet thread, Is it a good enough thread to learn on and try and make snowflakes? :flake Any advice and easy snowflake patterns are appreciated, I am what I consider an accomplished crocheter.

I started with the Aunt Lydia's. It is good for the snowflakes, as it is not the greatest thread, and it can be a little rough, but it does do great for stiffining.(such a word?)

CPC has a lot of snowflake patterns. Even the ones that call for sports weight yarn, can be made with thread. I usually use a size 7 hook.

Remember most anything made with yarn, can be made with thread and the other way around.

I am sure you are going to have lots of fun.:hook

a great idea is to try a pattern with yarn and a larger hook to get the feel of the pattern and then it is "familiar" and a bit easier to make in thread. I like aunt lydias for framed filet and snowflakes because of its "stiffer' quality it blocks nicely and many times does not needs stiffening just a good blocking with water and pins. good luck and most of all have fun

You will get lots and lots of snowflakes with that. It is an okay thread and will be fine for what you are making. Not my thread of choice, but an okay thread. You should be just fine.

Enjoy your snowflakes. They are fun to make.

I guess I'm the odd 'man' out, as that's one of my favorite threads to use. Yes, I've used it and am using it, for lots of snowflakes, but have also done everything else with it, including clothing!
Their Royale Thread is a step up. Nicer, More even, If I have my choice I prefer the Royale for an economy thread.

I think Aunt Lydia's will be great for snowflakes. I think it is very very similar to royale.

Some patterns I had bookmarked

http://cstitcher.tripod.com/xmas/snowflake1.html

http://members.aol.com/SAG55/trcsnow.html

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/picsnow.html

Have fun with the flakes:flake:flake

Aunt Lydia's works great for snowflakes and treetopper angels. I have a bunch on my tree right now and all were made with Aunt Lydia's. Good luck and have fun!! Be sure to let us see how good they turn out.

Deb

I love the picot one. I made a snowflake last Christmas and wanted to make another one this year but time has run ahead of me as I started a new job about 6 weeks ago so I just didn't have the time being too tired and all that. I might have a late go tho for this picot one its so pretty.

Lets see yours when you've made them.

I have been making snowflakes this yr in heavy #3 thread for the first time. Last yr I made a few in lightweight WW like Caron SS. That's a good way to start I think. Practice a few patterns, concentrate on the ones that you like best or find simpler because as you go down in size, you want to know the pattern to make it easier. Then go down to sport weight. Then go down to size 3 thread which is where I am now. I attempted sz 10, & it is just too hard on my wrists (chronic tendinitis here), so I will stick with #3.

Use a water glue mix to stiffen, pin to dry & wa la! Here are my last one's drying. I wanted to show you that #3 thread still turns out "thready" & nice lol edit: I took this pic to show friends on another board who don't crochet & at first they thought it was a Christmas Snowflake cake LOL

snowflakes1.jpg

Great job Kazily! There is a leaflet out in the stores right now that is just snowflakes patterns. For the life of me, I cannot remember the title. I bought it, but I have no idea where it's at. Sorry.

Aunt Lydia is good thread to start out with, if you are going to start with thread rather than yarn. It tends to grab more while you're crocheting, so it helps to keep your tension. I notice that it's hard for some to learn to crochet with thread with some of the slicker, more polished, threads. Once you get the hang of it, though, try other threads. You might, or might not, enjoy them more. Whatever you do.... ENJOY it.

Archived