~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have finally figured out a way to knit something besides a scarf or a dishcloth. I bought a loom knitting kit, and I made a hat as my first project. It's far from perfect, but it looks like a hat. I'm going to try to master mittens,so I can make hat and mitten sets for a local charity that provides Christmas gifts to needy children. They try to give each child a hat and mittens.

I have a leaflet called two needle mittens that I bought at a yard sale, and I think I'll try that first before I try the 4 needle kind.

I got a set of the round nifty knitter looms for $14.99 (minus a 40% off coupon) at Michaels on Saturday morning and finished a small hat on Monday evening. It fits my 3 year old grandson. I don't know exactly how long it took, since I worked on it a little at a time. I'd guess somewhere between two to three hours, and that includes the fact that I was learning as I went.

Also there's nothing fancy about this hat, just the same stitch over and over. It's knit straight up and then the top is gathered to close it.

I haven't been online for a while. Have computer problems. I'm using my sons laptop for now. I just wanted to update everyone on my sock making. I'm making a baby sock. Then I started a 2nd one and this one is smaller than the first one. :lol I think I did more rows on the foot part. So now I'm making a 3rd one that I hope will match at least one of the first ones I made. :yes But it's not too bad. These ones I'm making is just practice. But making one is addicting. Now I want to try a toe-up sock. Anyone else still working on socks?

Sounds easy enough, and pretty quick too. It'd probably be a great way to use up scraps making hats and scarves to donate.

I'm coming in very late to this CAL, but I would like to join in as well.

I've knitted for a long time. I can do the knit and purl stitch, and have made so many scarves it's ridiculous, but I find it impossible to follow patterns for things like jumpers!

I don't know why...but I just don't understand all the different acronyms, or what I physically have to do at each instruction. I mean if it just said, k1, p1 turn...I'd be ok...but they have all this other stuff in there that I don't get?????

Thank you!

The oreo cookie pattern came from Elizabeth Doherty's book Amigurumi.

I just changed it slightly to make it into a cover.

Oh how very clever of you! :clap Thanks for the info :hug

Hi everyone. I've been offline for a while. I have computer problems. But that didn't stop me from working on the socks. I've done 3 socks so far and each of them are different sizes. :lol Right now I'm working on a baby bootie that I found in one of my magazines. So far so good. Finished one bootie and am halve way done on the other. I'll try to have pictures when my computer is fixed. :)

Hi everyone. I've been offline for a while. I have computer problems. But that didn't stop me from working on the socks. I've done 3 socks so far and each of them are different sizes. :lol Right now I'm working on a baby bootie that I found in one of my magazines. So far so good. Finished one bootie and am halve way done on the other. I'll try to have pictures when my computer is fixed. :)

I share your woe... I have made 4 socks... 2 on dpns and 2 magic loop, but changed my heel and toe each time... so not a one matches... but I consider each one a learning experience!:D I look forward to a matching pair somewhere in my future!

I share your woe... I have made 4 socks... 2 on dpns and 2 magic loop, but changed my heel and toe each time... so not a one matches... but I consider each one a learning experience!:D I look forward to a matching pair somewhere in my future!

I have the same dream too. :yes

Archived