~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Just thought you all might be interested in seeing photos of my Mum's knitted ripple blanket that she is making. Both clickable

th_P1030116.jpg

th_P1030115.jpg

Way to go Mum!!! :eek That's an incredible ripple and excellent color choices! :clap:cheer

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question for those who made or ar making socks right now. What method of casting on are you using? I've tried the long tail and another method I don't know the name of but could be a variant of the two ndl cast on. Both are tight for me making the top of the ribbing tight. I can't do the larger size ndl than you're using to cast on cause I'm using the largest size dpn I have. What I did is hold the ndl I'm using with the smallest ndl I have together and doing the long tail cast on. Then when I have to number of stitches I need I slide out the small ndl. It makes the rest of my stitches looser than I normally knit. But thats okay for now. This is just a practice pair I'm trying to make. Could anyone give me some comments on how to do better on my cast ons for socks? Thanks for any and all help. :)

I do the long tail cast on as well, And mine is pretty tight as well. Do you have smaller dpns? If so, take 2 smaller ones and do your cast on that way, Like if your using size 4 dpns and you have size 2 and 3 as well, use 2 size 2's to do your cast on. Then it will be just a little loose but not so much as using 2 size 4's. Know what I mean?

I cast on my size 3's then I'm doing my knitting on size 2's. I am making my socks using Lion Wool and it's working really good.

I do the long tail cast on as well, And mine is pretty tight as well. Do you have smaller dpns? If so, take 2 smaller ones and do your cast on that way, Like if your using size 4 dpns and you have size 2 and 3 as well, use 2 size 2's to do your cast on. Then it will be just a little loose but not so much as using 2 size 4's. Know what I mean?

I cast on my size 3's then I'm doing my knitting on size 2's. I am making my socks using Lion Wool and it's working really good.

I used one size 4 and a 2 together to do the cast on. It works good for me. I checked the streachiness(sp?) of the top and its okay. It'll go over the foot. :lol Last nite I put it down and when I picked it up again to work on it I ended up working it the wrong way. I unpicked it back to where I saw the yarn twisted the wrong way and fixed it. Now I'm on track again. I'll have to wait untill later today or this evening to work on it again. My dh and I will be going to a funeral today. I'm not sure if we'll be there most of the day. I find that with every ripping I'm doing with this same one I'm doing I learn something new. I know I have several pairs of circular ndls somewhere. I have to find them. When I do I'm thinking of starting a blanket maybe for my nephews little girl. She's going on 2yrs old this year and she outgrew the two baby blankets I gave her. Thats okay, her little brother is using it now. One is a baby green w/white ruffle border and the other is granny squares with pink, blue, white, and baby green. All made with LB's Pound of Love yarn.

I was in town today yarn shopping and noticed a sign in the yarn shop window for a knitting group called knitWits in my area. I went back to the shop I saw 200 knitted blocks book and it was in the same place as I left it last week, I decided to get it this time.

Gonna make some knitted and crochet blankets for the PDSA.

Made a really big knitted blocks blanket for one of my cats last year and have been meaning to crochet a border on it for ages. The other cats got smaller blankets, now Iam gonna make them bigger, need to find them 1st.

Update on my socks saga. I've had a few problems again. :yes Had to go back a few rows to fix a problem, get the correct stitches on the correct needles again. Then just when I get it straight the count is off on one needle and that spot looked wrong somehow. Turned it inside out and found a dropped stitch. Fixed it and continued. Then when you look at it there is a stitch that is wayyy too loose. Looked inside again and I think :think I skipped a stitch somehow. So now I'll have to redo that part. I don't think I need to rip out several rows. I just need to drop that stitch down to the problem and redo it back up. Hopefully that'll fix the problem. One way or the other I'm going to finish at least One sock. :lol:yes And do you believe I'm still working on the same sock and I'm still on the ribbing part? :lol :lol :lol:yes

Wow!! This is great! I taught myself to knit, (didn't get very far at all), and gave it up. I really do want to learn how to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what size needles to start with?

Wow! First crochet, now knitting. Man! I am going to have to get me a job to keep up with everyone on here! :hook:manyheart

Wow!! This is great! I taught myself to knit, (didn't get very far at all), and gave it up. I really do want to learn how to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what size needles to start with?

Wow! First crochet, now knitting. Man! I am going to have to get me a job to keep up with everyone on here! :hook:manyheart

Welcome to the group. As for the size to use, I think whatever is comfortable for you to use would be good. I started with a thin needle a 3 1/4 or 4 mm and sport wt. yarn and I had to look good at it to see what I was doing clearly. You can try a 5 1/2mm or 6mm and ww yarn to practice with. It'll be easier to see the stitches. Let us know what you decide.

I havn't knitted for ages and tried a different cast on method last night holding yarn in right hand and it took me about 10 mins to cast on 30 odd stitches. Really having problems which way to wrap the yarn around the needles. My garter stitch is coming out all wonky, any advice would be helpful, will take some pics once item is a little bigger.

I havn't knitted for ages and tried a different cast on method last night holding yarn in right hand and it took me about 10 mins to cast on 30 odd stitches. Really having problems which way to wrap the yarn around the needles. My garter stitch is coming out all wonky, any advice would be helpful, will take some pics once item is a little bigger.

Have you checked out knittinghelp.com ? they have ALOT of videos for both those who hold the yarn in their right and left hand. We talked awhile ago about which way we all hold our yarns, and alot of the crocheters in here hold the yarn in their left hand like crocheting. You may try that if you haven't already.

But do check out the video's on knittinghelp.com It's a great help!

When I first got back into knitting, I picked up the needles and thought I knew what I was doing... turns out I was wrapping the yarn around the needle the wrong way. I was wrapping up and over like in crochet instead of under and over like you should for knitting stitches. It didn't look horrible, but it wasn't perfect either!

Keep working at it. It might just look wonky if your tension varies.

I did some knitting! I've been working on this LOOOONG garter stitch scarf to take to camp (we're expecting lows in the 30s), and I finished that last night, and then I started a dishcloth. I have a booklet of 10 dishcloth patterns, all with a heart theme. So anyway, I'm halfway through the first one of those, and I'm planning to make all ten and then make other dishcloths until I don't have anymore room! I would post pictures (and I actually had some pictures of the scarf, I think) but the camera I was using belongs to my sister and she went back to college yesterday.

(I'm actually starting to feel sort of confident about knitting!)

Just remember you're always wrapping the yarn counter-clockwise on the needle. I hope that helps some........

woohoo!

I got another 10 rows done on my scarf! I hadn't touched it in a while, so when I picked it up I did three rows of just knitting, then realized I was supposed to be slipping the first, knitting across, then purling the last stitch. It wasn't too bad un-knitting the rows, just a little annoying.

Have you checked out knittinghelp.com ? they have ALOT of videos for both those who hold the yarn in their right and left hand. We talked awhile ago about which way we all hold our yarns, and alot of the crocheters in here hold the yarn in their left hand like crocheting. You may try that if you haven't already.

But do check out the video's on knittinghelp.com It's a great help!

You could look at youtube too. There is so many videos to help you. they also have alot of crochet videos too. I go there when I want to see how something is done.

Cheers ladies for your help and advice I watched some of those videos a few days ago and tried the cast on method using yarn in left hand. Found it a little tricky.

I was telling a woman at work last night about the problem I was having and she asked me to show her how I was knitting. I cast on half a dozen stitches and showed her how I knitt, together we solved the problem.

I was putting the needle in the back loop of the stitch and wrapping the yarn to the front of the stitch (knit stitch), purl stitch I was wrapping the yarn the wrong way, that's why my garter stitch was coming out all wonky.

She told me the correct way to do both stitches and I did k1 P1 for half a dozen rows and all my stitches are now straight.:cheer

I frogged that and restarted my square, but for some reason it wasn't turning out right. I needed to K5 rows, but they were coming out 2 rows purl, 1 row knit. Not really sure what's going on, will have another go later.

OK, can any of you knitters tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have a boucle scarf that I've been working on here and there for a VERY long time (MONTHS). It's basically something to break up the monotony here and there.

Well, it's driving me nuts because it's curling in towards itself. Instead of a scarf, I have a 4 foot long hot dog!

I assume it's a tension thing, but what do I need to fix to stop it?

Will washing it make that go away?

I HOPE SO!

OK, can any of you knitters tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have a boucle scarf that I've been working on here and there for a VERY long time (MONTHS). It's basically something to break up the monotony here and there.

Well, it's driving me nuts because it's curling in towards itself. Instead of a scarf, I have a 4 foot long hot dog!

I assume it's a tension thing, but what do I need to fix to stop it?

Will washing it make that go away?

I HOPE SO!

Same thing was happening to me when I started my shawl using the stockinette stitch so I frogged it and used all garter stitch. I'd be interested to know how to fix that too :yes

I made a stockinette stitch scarf as my first project last year and it would curl as well. I've heard that if you do a garter stitch border (3 or more stitches I think), it shouldn't curl.

Here's an explanation of the problem that might give a better explanation.

Archived