JulieKay

~ The KnitWits ~

Morning or afternoon to everyone, my interest is peak and I was wondering is it easy to learn how to knit socks on your own. I went into Amazon last night looking for a beginner knitted sock books and there are so many on the market that it was hard for me to choose one. I taught myself to knit and it took me several months to get that "ah" moment and I have knitted several scarfs. At the moment I am learning how to do the cable stitch yes with a scraf pattern once again. This is the pattern that I am using to learn cable stitches, I find it fun to do but as a newbie I have to work on it extremely slow, a few rows a day. LOL :devil

http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com I hope the site come up for I was typing the site from memory. Hugs :hug

Cheeria that's how I knit too. A few rows a day. And those rows are slow going.

I've tried to do my scarf with my 15s and that just seems too small. So I will be looking for some 18s next time I go shopping. The stitches seemed to tight and it wasn't wide enough. So I'll try it again next week.

Cheeria- wow, those scarves are pretty ! They look a lot harder than I could do just yet. My scarf is a plain old garter stitch . It is coming along, but I am on my 3rd ball of yarn for it. I am using the Bernat chunky ,so it takes more than it normally would. It's nice yarn to work with though .

Well I am going off the deep end here and am going to make a sweater :eek I have made one in the past - many moons ago - and it took forever! Here is a picture of it (the color is actually an emerald green):

th_DSC07112.jpg

The pattern I am going to try this time is called Stargazer and if you search google using Stargazer sweater pattern it comes up on a MagKnits website. It is four rectangles using only knit and purl stitching (no skipping or passing over). I really want to try the lacy stitches on day too! I may start it this evening or wait til another day.

I am using Caron SS for this one (hope the substitution works OK -I'll try a swatch to be sure the guage is OK first) This is the yarn and color I am planning on using (Blue Mint - Caron SS Brites):

th_DSC07106.jpg

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking mostly of late. I went to Michael's today. Santa gave me a gift certificate. I know how to knit, but there are quite a few things I have forgotten how to do, it's been so long since I did much of it. Anyway, two of the things I got are "The Easy Learn to Knit In Just One Day" book by the American School of Needlework and "The Prayer Shawl Ministry - Reaching Those in Need" book. Both have some really pretty projects as well as instructions that look like they'll be easy to follow. Soooo maybe my knitting can get a little more ambitious than it's been lately.

Cara, I'm with you. That Oregon sweater pattern doesn't look very easy at first glance, but it might not be all that hard if there aren't a lot of increases and decreases or fancy stitches.

Econo-nerd, that looks like quite a project. More power to ya.

Cheeria, thanks for the link. That looks like a very pretty scarf. I downloaded the pattern and may try it one of these days.

Well I am going off the deep end here and am going to make a sweater :eek I have made one in the past - many moons ago - and it took forever! Here is a picture of it (the color is actually an emerald green):

th_DSC07112.jpg

Wow Karen I wish I knew how to knit a sweater I must say you knit good. Keep up the good work it will come back to you. Knitting is so very different than crochet, it kind of make me extremely relaxed and make me sleepy, I guess that is why I love to knit the few rows I knit at knit. :lol Hugs

i'm new to knitting just tought myself actualy!! i tought myself on dishcloths now they are addicting!!! i love knit cloths better then crocheted ones.. i'm making my friend whos having a baby a baby afghan in knit too thats the biggest project i can brave right now with knitting i got a few skeins of sock yarn though.. well see!

Knitting is so very different than crochet, it kind of make me extremely relaxed and make me sleepy, I guess that is why I love to knit the few rows I knit at knit. :lol Hugs

Me too! I thought I was the only one :lol Crochet is exciting and exhilarating (sp) but knitting forces me to slow down and in that I get very relaxed. Guess it's not that odd after all :D

Karen - OMG!! If you made that before you should be a whiz at the new one :yes Color me super impressed! :yay

Linda - Oooh Santa was very good to you :yes Grats on the books. I'm gonna order that pattern and we'll see. It's a nice chunk of change they want for one pattern but I really, really like that sweater :yes

That sweater is incredable!

Ok as promissed here is a pic of my diagonal dish cloth in progress. I think I might actually be getting the hang of this. You cant really tell but both sides have an eyelet on the edge. You can see it a little bit on the left side. Both sides really do look the same even if you cant tell that from the picture.

Clickable

th_IM000899.jpg

That sweater is incredable!

Ok as promissed here is a pic of my diagonal dish cloth in progress. I think I might actually be getting the hang of this. You cant really tell but both sides have an eyelet on the edge. You can see it a little bit on the left side. Both sides really do look the same even if you cant tell that from the picture.

Clickable

th_IM000899.jpg

Now see!? That's very pretty Tammy!! And nice and even and tidy too which I think is the hardest thing to do :yes Great job! :clap:cheer

Tammy, that looks very nice. Good job!

Thanks. I guess the three days of frogging a few times was worth it. The pattern is pretty simple and I like that it teaches me to increase, decrease and make 1. As well as teaching me how to pick up stiches after messing them up several times. No one said this would be easy and it is teaching me how to keep my cool when all I wanted to do was banish it to the corner forever! LOL Hang in there everybody. If I can do this we all can.

Tammy that looks just like the ones I have here that were made by someone in hubby's family. Great work on it.

Great job Tammy!!!

I have not one, but two pairs of socks in the works........one using Woolease, and one using Lorna's Laces Washable Wool.......

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!! I'M ADDICTED TO SOCKS!!!!

Karen- wow, that sweater is impressive ! Good luck on your new one -- you certainly are good at this !

Linda- congrats on the new pattern books, etc. It sounds like you had a good day of shopping . :)

Cheeria and Cara- yea, the knitting does seem slower paced and more relaxing, maybe because it's just a repeat of each thing row after row ( at least with my current scarf, that's all I do is knit, row after row, after row .... It's slow going, but turning out ok, from the looks of it anyhow. I was trying to finish it before posting a photo -- just started on my 3rd skein of yarn, so this one should wrap it up .

Tami-welcome, and I agree, the knit dishcloths are nicer to use in my opinion, because they are thinner and stretchier .

Tammy- good for you for sticking with this and see what you have accomplished ? Doesn't it make you proud ?

Christi-- we'd love to see photos of your socks, either when they are done or as they progress. They ARE on my "gotta learn this " list .

Cara-You'll be wearing that sweater in no time.

Cheeria-Thanks for the link to the hiking scarf. When I finish up one of my other projects, I may give it a go.

Karen-Wow! Nice sweater.

Tami-I prefer knitted dishcloths too. Yours looks very nice.

Christi-Got pictures?

Hi Linda, Donna, Judy, Becky and Julie.

Hey Julie, pretty good. Hubby and I went to the national quilt museum yesterday afternoon. They had some Kaffe Fassett sweaters on display along with some of his quilts. Very neat.

Now we are off to the movies.

Hey Julie, pretty good. Hubby and I went to the national quilt museum yesterday afternoon. They had some Kaffe Fassett sweaters on display along with some of his quilts. Very neat.

Now we are off to the movies.

There's a national quilt museum?? Oh I have gotta take a road trip soon to see that! I kinda have this thing with quilts :lol

There's a national quilt museum?? Oh I have gotta take a road trip soon to see that! I kinda have this thing with quilts :lol

REALLY?!?! :think

Cara my MIL took a trip to it last year. She loved it. Took lots of pics. :yes She said it was a place to definitely visit.

OK......here ya go!!

Here are Tana's socks........made with Lion Brand's Woolease in Rose Heather, Chestnut Heather, and Oxford Grey:

TanasSox.jpg

Here are my nephew Kenny's socks.......made with Lorna's Laces Worsted in Blue Jeans:

KennysSox.jpg

Julie mentioned a beginners knitting group in the Knitwit's thread.

I went to the group membership and tried to join it but I got this message:

This user's primary usergroup is also listed as a secondary group for this user. Please change the primary group or remove the secondary group.

Unfortunately I don't know how or where I change this.

I wonder if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction.

I really appreciate any help....thanks so much... ann

:think I dunno....

Technically, "Joining" this CAL just means posting in here that you WANT to join. There's no official joining, really.