~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

OMG, it's so slow!!! Yesterday I worked on a 7x9 square for WUA...4 hours and I'm not even halfway done! *click....pause 10 seconds...click*

I'm slow too, I'm making a dishcloth and its 3/4 done. I have at least 3 1/2 hours in it already.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, sorry for missing in action but I had internet problems since Jan 2nd and it did not get fixed until Friday evening. I miss the Ville so much it was so frustrating not being able to get on line. Megan wow you sure are moving along with your socks. I am waiting on a book to be delivered from Amazon so I can start learning how to knit socks. Megan are you also new to knitting and if you are wow I am impressed. :manyheart Everyone is doing great with learning knitting as for myself I am getting ready to knit my second cable stitch on my Irish Hiking Scarf. When I have four cables done I will post a picture for then you can see what the cables look like. Hugs :hug

Megan wow you sure are moving along with your socks. I am waiting on a book to be delivered from Amazon so I can start learning how to knit socks. Megan are you also new to knitting and if you are wow I am impressed. :manyheart

Yes these socks are my first project. I'm one of those people who learn things quickly and because of that, I don't let myself start off on "easy" things.

My sister just lent me some knitting books today and frankly they scare the heck out of me.:knit:scared

:rofl Know the feeling :yes That's why the videoes in the first post are the only way I could make sense of it all :D

Leenie- yea, it kinda looks pretty hard if you look at books to teach you. The videos are what has helped me too, since you can actually see how to do each thing, and play it over and over . I actually have brought my needles and yarn to the computer and sat here, watching the video and talking to myself while I was doing it .

( that's nothing new though, I talk to myself all the time )

How is everyone holding the yarn when you knit? I can't seem to get a hang of it. I think its because I'm so used to holding tension with my left hand, instead of my right, I can't get a hang of it....

I'm actually holding mine in my right hand exactly like when I crochet. BUT I crochet left handed. But holding the yarn in my left hand is too cumbersome so I did just like the videos in the English/American technique and I just knit right handed. I'd really like to be able to do it the Continental way though because it looks like a better economy of motion but I just can't get that holding the yarn in my left hand to work out :P What's my point? Hmm, I forgot...oh yes....trying hold the yarn in the same hand as you do with crochet :yes

Leenie- yea, it kinda looks pretty hard if you look at books to teach you. The videos are what has helped me too, since you can actually see how to do each thing, and play it over and over . I actually have brought my needles and yarn to the computer and sat here, watching the video and talking to myself while I was doing it .

Julie I do that too. I actually have been sitting in front of the computer crocheting and knitting since my printer ran out of ink. When I'm trying to figure out a pattern or the knitting I will start talking to myself because it seems to help me figure it out better.

How is everyone holding the yarn when you knit? I can't seem to get a hang of it. I think its because I'm so used to holding tension with my left hand, instead of my right, I can't get a hang of it....

I hold mine just like Cara. The same way I hold it when I crochet. It seems to help me alot with the tension and doesn't feel so cumbersome.

I do this too. In fact I have played some of the videos so many times that my dh says he has learned to knit just by being in the same room with me and hearing it over and over. of course, no-one has actually seen him knit!

I do this too. In fact I have played some of the videos so many times that my dh says he has learned to knit just by being in the same room with me and hearing it over and over. of course, no-one has actually seen him knit!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Oh and wish me luck! I'm gonna see if I can win an auction on many knitting needles on eBay :tup

I am right handed and when I crochet the needle is in my right hand yarn in my left. When I knit the needle that I am putting the stitches on is in my right hand and I hold the yarn in my left hand. Am I doing something backwards after all this time LOL>

I am right handed and when I crochet the needle is in my right hand yarn in my left. When I knit the needle that I am putting the stitches on is in my right hand and I hold the yarn in my left hand. Am I doing something backwards after all this time LOL>

:lol I don't think it matters how exactly that you do it as long as it works :yes Took me almost a week to realize that I knit right handed though I crochet left handed :lol

That's how I knit too. Just depends on what works for you. My boyfriend is a thrower (holds yarn in right hand), and I'm a picker (yarn in left hand).

I do the same thing Andrea, it was how I was taught and I'm right handed too.

Nope, that's how I do it, too. That's "continental" method and it seems very intuitive to crocheters...

What is everyone working on knit wise?

I hope to finish my socks by this weekend. I've tried one of them on a few times to check for foot length and I've decided I have to start making even more socks after this. I love how good they feel on my feet. Much Much MUCH better than store bought socks.

If anyone is wanting to learn socks, give it a try. If you can cast on, do the knit and purl and have just a bit of patience you can do socks. :cheer:hug

I was told by someone at our LYS that the continental method is easier for crocheters and it's also the type of knitting that all the 'young people' are doing now. Seems it's the more hip of the two types. I learned with the throwing method but I'm slowly getting used to the continental method. I'm getting there but it's very slow.....LOL

Kim

Archived