~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Hidey-Ho Gang

Several of you have expressed an interest in learning to knit, as I have . I know that the ville already offers a Beginner's Knitting Thread here, but I believe, speaking for ME at least ,that we need a PRE-Beginner's Group, therefore, the title KnitWits .....

This is for those of us who are totally clueless about knitting . I have searched the internet and found a wonderful site that has online videos, showing every step to learn to knit, from casting on to binding off . I emailed the lady who made the site and she graciously gave us her blessing to link to her page to get us started .

I also found an extremely easy afghan pattern that is knit in panels, then crocheted together,and it uses very basic stitches with very little"hard" things to do ,so I believe ,with each other's help, we could achieve this goal .

I know it's a busy couple of weeks coming up, but after that, we have several months of.............well ............nothing ......

Cold, snow and watching reruns on tv, so what better thing to do than to put these months to good use and learn a new hobby ?

Below is the link to the knitting web page and below that ,the link to the afghan . (Not a real clear photo, but it is really pretty )

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/afghansea.shtml

So go to the store and get you some of them knitting needles( not the ones with hooks on the end, the pointy ones)

**And just to have you read the fine print here :

This will be the Blind Leading the Blind. I have no more clue of how to knit than I do how to Bungee Jump while ironing a pair of pants, so we are all in the same boat .

I just believe we can go from KnitWits to being Witty at Knitting . :D

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a nice looking afghan. However, I know my limits and I know that I will probably never finish knitting an afghan. My mom has been working on teaching me to knit for many years. So far , I have learned to cast on, knit and purl. I have never finished anything bigger than a scarf, (and that takes me a long time!) As my mom says, "I never knew anyone who knitted slower than you do". And I still haven't figured out how to cast off.

Can I join in if all I end up with is a scarf? Hmmm, maybe I could manage a little afghan, say a premie blanket.

I'm in but like Cindy I think an afghan is a little big for me right now. I'm thinking maybe a scarf or a baby blanket. A tiny baby blanket :lol I will have to look at my stash and see if I have enough for some sort of project. :yes If not then I'll be taking a trip to Walmart. :D

I might just be tempted to give this a try in the New Year. I want to improve my knitting skills (which are pretty basic - I know how to knit and purl but nothing much more than that - the skip and slip stuff baffles my little mind :think ). If I start in January I may finish this baby in time for next Christmas :lol

There is a pattern book out there somewhere that is similar to the 63 squares crochet booklet. My MIL made a knit afghan with all sorts of knit squares from this booklet and the blankie is very nice. I think I may have it in my stash. Maybe if I find it I might tackle that one (but maybe that is too complicated for me...)

Now this is perfect because I really want to learn how to knit but just can't seem to figure it out with one of those learn how to books. So i'm in with ya'll. But I refuse to become a knitting snob (not that all knitters are but i've lost friends to the world of fine fibers & needles). I will always be a hooker through & through. :hook

That's it ladies.....come over to the dark side........we have cookies!!!

Seriously......knitting is easier than it looks. Just like crocheting, it takes a little bit of practice!!

That's it ladies.....come over to the dark side........we have cookies!!!

Seriously......knitting is easier than it looks. Just like crocheting, it takes a little bit of practice!!

Ohhh cookies - now I am really sold :lol I have tried knitting but find it much slower than crochet. ANd they both certainly do take practice (and I've had LOTS of crochet practice but not much knitting practice - yet)

Oh now this is just too ironic. I belong to a local knitting and crocheting group( I crochet). The name of out group is the Knitwits. The ladies there have beentrying to talk me into learningto knit. Once they see this there will be no getting out of it.

I think this is an awesome idea. I have been eying my grandma's knitting needles for a long time, but I can't even figure out how to get the first set of loops on the needle. I just might have to jump in here after the new year!

Okay, okay I've been wanting to refresh my lousy knitting skills. I made a scarf and a headband once but that's it :blush But I've gotta wait til after next weekend. Yes, I have to. :yes I must be good. :yes I shall be good :yes But Christi said there's cookies in here so I dunno if I can be good :devil

Hehe just call me the cookie monster!! I want to join. I bought one of those "I taught myself to Knit" books last year for Christmas. It came with the knitting needles and everything but I just couldn't get it. Crocheting came much easier to me. So I want to try again.

Howdy ladies

Just checking in after being gone a couple hours.

Thanks for the interest to those who have signed on so far .

Karen- I have seen the booklet you are describing. I have no clue if it's do-able for our level of knitting or not, but if you are game, then give it a go ! Good for you for trying .:)

Tab- I thought you weren't getting sucked into any more of these black holes.. HAHA--- GOTCHA, didn't I ??? :D

And nope, no snobs here -- just regular old people who like yarn and like to make stuff with it .

Christy- sounds wonderful, we'd love it if you could be one of our helpers if we get stuck-- wanna job ? Can't pay you, but I'd be grateful for your help !

Kathy -so you're getting married ? I must have missed that info before ! Good for you and congratulations !

Tammy- great to have you, now you can be a Double Knit-Wit-- one in each group ! :lol

Bean- Grandma's needles have been waiting on you. Pull them out and make your grandma proud .

Cara- ALWAYS glad to have you aboard, you know that !

Amy- I have bought the same thing myself and tried many times. If we have a gang in here working as a TEAM, we'll wrestle this thing til we get it right this time .

:yes :yes I am a KNITWIT!!! :yes :yes

I am actually doing pretty well with the knitting and purling thingy. I want to broach out to some increasing and decreasing. I just got me some great wool yarn at the thrift store yesterday, so I'll be here once the holidays are OVER!!!

I'm in. Just last weekend, I finally managed to teach myself how to cast on and knit. I'm soooo not trying purl yet. LOL I'm not sure I can handle an afghan just yet....but maybe I'll try a scarf.

I've been looking for something new to get into after Jan. 1. My goal is to finish up all my UFOs before then. Glad I found this thread!

As my mom says, "I never knew anyone who knitted slower than you do". And I still haven't figured out how to cast off.

Your mom never met the likes of us, then. I'm pretty slow, myself... y'know how most knitters you hear click-click-click-click? I'm more like click (wait awhile) click (wait awhile) click....

I'm in but like Cindy I think an afghan is a little big for me right now. I'm thinking maybe a scarf or a baby blanket. A tiny baby blanket :lol I will have to look at my stash and see if I have enough for some sort of project. :yes If not then I'll be taking a trip to Walmart. :D

Oh, now - we have another excuse to go buy yarn!

You got me Julie...the cookies are no cal of course? Otherwise Judy won't let me join. I'll think about this one after the first of the year, or whenever I come back from NC a respectable married lady.

Married, maybe... REspectable? :think can we let in a respectable lady with the likes of us? :no Methinks not.... :lol

Okay, okay I've been wanting to refresh my lousy knitting skills. I made a scarf and a headband once but that's it :blush But I've gotta wait til after next weekend. Yes, I have to. :yes I must be good. :yes I shall be good :yes But Christi said there's cookies in here so I dunno if I can be good :devil

I think we'll just start off the cookies as an appetizer to really starting the CAL? What do you think, Ms. Julies?

I've been looking for something new to get into after Jan. 1. My goal is to finish up all my UFOs before then. Glad I found this thread!

Oh, wait - am I supposed to finish my UFOs first? See ya in 2010, then! :rofl

I just saw this video at You Tube and I thought about this new KAL. It really is easier for crocheters to knit continental

just for your viewing pleasure

Thank you for that link Darski! I followed it just fine while she was doing the Knit stitch. That actually made sense to me, but after that, I was lost, lol. I think maybe I need to start at the beginning and learn the lingo first. I didn't know there was a such thing as a purl (I just learned it isn't pearl) stitch.

Well I think I found my project. I even have the yarn for it :yay(thank goodness, not much money for the yarn budget this month :no) Here is the one I'm thinking. http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70489AD.html Although I think they should change the name. I think it will be more like the two week scarf :yes I'm still browsing around looking for more beginning patterns. Isn't there a knitting pattern central around? :think

Oh, wait - am I supposed to finish my UFOs first? See ya in 2010, then! :rofl

Nah...I'm just tired of looking at mine and feeling guilty when I start something new. :-) Besides, the sooner I finish up some things and get them out of the way, I'll have an excuse to buy more yarn AND have somewhere to put it. :yarn

I just saw this video at You Tube and I thought about this new KAL. It really is easier for crocheters to knit continental

just for your viewing pleasure

OH!! That is absolutely brilliant!! That makes so much more sense! :yes Thank you so much Darski :hug

Well I think I found my project. I even have the yarn for it :yay(thank goodness, not much money for the yarn budget this month :no) Here is the one I'm thinking. http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70489AD.html Although I think they should change the name. I think it will be more like the two week scarf :yes

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Oh and http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/ here ya go :)

Archived