Fluffy Pink Shrug Schematics

mrs who

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! You made that? And it was easy? That is so pretty! I printed your design schematic but I'm sure I can screw it up if I try really hard! I'm gonna give it a go though... but I got like five WIPs right now so if I dont finish something soon then the family isn't gonna let me buy more yarn! Then I'll see if your shrug pattern is REALLY easy!

This DOES look pretty easy, but I have to ask this.

Would it still look okay (or would I look like an absolute freak? :think) if I were to make something like this, but have it extended a bit longer than what's shown?

This may be a little TMI, but let me explain anyway. Ever since having children, I can NOT stand to have anything on top that's shorter than my stomach. It's disgusting, and *I* don't want to look at it, let alone OTHER people! But I absolutely LOVE the way these types of tops look (I've tried on several but put them back because the tummy was always showing). I know I'd need to wear another top under it but it seemed stupid (to me) to have a super-long top under a shrug like this if it's not going to at least SOMEWHAT match in length.

Am I making sense? Too much time with children has melted my brain cells. :P

This DOES look pretty easy, but I have to ask this.

Would it still look okay (or would I look like an absolute freak? :think) if I were to make something like this, but have it extended a bit longer than what's shown?

You can wear it however you like. We often overlap the fronts and pin w/a decorative pin - that gives full coverage across the whole front.

• 2 weeks later...

I just printed out your schematics .. have started one using simply soft in victorian rose for my two year old .. and one in red heart watercolors for my 9 year old .. they are working up so easily, I am AMAZED! Thank you for taking the time to break down the idea this way .. I will post pictures once I have them finished. Next ... a black one for myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read over the origianal post and my question is why you would do this in rows instead of in the round so you can skip the sewing step??

Gretchen

I have read over the origianal post and my question is why you would do this in rows instead of in the round so you can skip the sewing step??

Gretchen

The back would always have to be done in rows, and the stitch I chose to use (sc in bl, sc in fl) doesn't look the same when done in rounds as it does in rows. I preferred the rows look and don't mind the sewing. Of course, don't let that stop you from doing it in the round if YOU want to. :yes I'd love to see a picture when you're done with yours! :yay

Oh ok wonderful info. I also tried with 2 strands (yellow/white) to see how it would work for Wyoming weather and an N hook and it was too stiff. I love the simplicity of this pattern. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gretchen in Wyoming

My last post was rather early in the AM for me and it just now dawned on me that you can do the stitch you are doing in the round and have it look like it would if you were doing it in rows. When you get to the end of your round, join with a slst and then you do the number of chains (ie 2ch for a hd), turn and continue your stitch instead of continuing your "round" turn and pretend you are doing rows but just join with a slst. When you get to the back opening you just switch to rows until your reach your back width and then close up and return to rounds.

I am always looking for ways to skip hand sewing my crochet times so that there is no way of a seam coming a part especially on a sleeve.

Gretchen

My last post was rather early in the AM for me and it just now dawned on me that you can do the stitch you are doing in the round and have it look like it would if you were doing it in rows. When you get to the end of your round, join with a slst and then you do the number of chains (ie 2ch for a hd), turn and continue your stitch instead of continuing your "round" turn and pretend you are doing rows but just join with a slst. When you get to the back opening you just switch to rows until your reach your back width and then close up and return to rounds.

Yes, I've done that, and I've made several of these trying different styles, EDITED I don't like *this* particular stitch, when the rectangle is done in the round, it makes a bulkier join than seaming. When done flat, the edges of the rectangle are nice and neat and easy to sew up and easy to pick up for doing the collar/lace. Just my preference on this shrug - silly, perhaps? I do all my knitting in the round, usually, and much of my crochet. :) It's really not a complicated little thing - and I definitely didn't invent it - so we all can feel free to do it however we like. :)

Ok when you say the edging I am assuming you mean the collar? You still do that in the round. I am just referring to the initial "tube" for the sleeves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've finally have time to pick up my hook and yarn again to work on some decent sized projects. I'm thinking of making this as the standard shrug (sans ruffle) with maybe a little decorative edging on the cuffs (maybe not if I get too lazy :P ). I love this guide, it's so pretty. Thankyou for giving me a reason to try wearables :D

Hi everyone, I'm new to the list but just wanted to post quickly to thank Mrs Who for her wonderful & generous shrug schematics. I've tried it in chunky yarn but with sort of an open/filet stitch and ended up with a very warm and snuggly shrug that's just perfect for freezing airplanes & cinemas... so thank you, thank you... pics will come when i get some kind of camera.

I received the IKEA 2007 catalogue, not sure if we get the same one all over the world, this one says 'Sort out your life' or something. On page 227, there is the most pretty lil shrug/cardy just hanging in the wardrobe. It's like the shrugs posted in this thread but slightly longer in the back, and looks like the shawl collar or ruffly bit is not too wide. Any idea how I can modify the shrug guidelines to make it??? I'm dreaming & drooling over it like i've never done any IKEA catalogue.. heh. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This pattern is so simple, I'm so glad I searched...THANK YOU! I've been dreaming of a white shrug since I fell in love with one at an outlet mall..don't remember the store, but at $100 it had to remain in my dreams..

Here's my question..if you worked decreases on one side and increases on the other of the rectangle, would you end up with form-fitting sleeves (I was never one for gaps at my wrist:blush)? Or would it be simpler to just make a narrower rectangle then tack on back panels to make it more substantial? Any thoughts?

here is mine in the works. I made it sleevless with added on angel sleeves, My own making. It has no back and front just the rectangle so far.http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/snapdragon928/crochetedshrug.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived