Fluffy Pink Shrug Schematics

mrs who

Any Size/Any Gauge Shrug

Honestly, this is not something you want or need a pattern to do. If you know how to crochet back and forth and know how to crochet in the round, you can do this shrug. I think a pattern only serves to confuse, and removes the ability to conform this shrug to your choice of size, yarn and gauge. If you follow the schematics, you can make this for a 2 year old or for a size XXXL! And you can use any stitches you like - heavy dense ones or lacy light ones. You can use any yarn you want - baby weight or bulky weight. You can even choose whatever needle/hook size you want - a heavy yarn with smaller needle/hook will make a heavy shrug, a light yarn with larger needle/hook will make a lacy one. Obviously you can knit OR crochet this.

It's actually really easy - the hardest part is probably choosing what type of ruffle to do for the collar portion.

If you want to try it but are nervous, make a doll sized one! That'll give you a chance to see how it all comes together and it won't take much time or yarn.

First - make a gauge using whatever stitch you prefer for the body of your shrug. Measure your stitches per inch. Write this down somewhere! Gauge (G) = ____.

Now, you must get a sweater you like or one the person who plans to wear the shrug likes, one whose fit you wish to duplicate in your shrug. Spread out your sweater and measure thusly:

shrugmeasurement.gif

From wrist to wrist: L (for length of rectangle)

Across the chest: C for chest

Alllll the way around the widest part of the arm: A

The "body" of the shrug is nothing but a rectangle. This is not tricky.

shrug2.gif

To figure your initial chain or cast on, multiply G x A = _______. (This is the number of stitches. Remember to add on any starting chain necessary for the stitch of your choice if you're crocheting... sc requires 1 chain, hdc requires 2, etc.)You begin at the short end (A) and work until it is (L) long enough, using the stitch of your choice. End off, work in ends.

Fold your rectangle in half, long-edge to long-edge. x to x and y to y. But you already knew that.

shrug3.gif

You will be sewing two seams, one from each end toward the middle, but you will leave some of the middle open. The number of inches you leave open in the center is

determined by C - your chest measurement.

Now, you will do some more math. This is NOT tricky. L" - C" = _____ divided by 2 = ______ the number of inches to sew up each arm.

shrug4.gif

Take a yarn needle and some yarn, and neatly sew the two seams. Turn the shrug to look at you, open up the center opening and you will now have this:

scribble.gif

If you wanted a plain shrug, you could stop here, slip your arms into each of those long tubes and have a shrug.

Or, you can put the ruffly bit on.

From now on, you are working in the round. With a hook one size larger, sc in each stitch all the way around the opening. If knitting, you'll need a circular needle and you'll pick up evenly all the way around.

shrug5.gif

Now, begin your chosen ruffle stitch, working even for several inches, then increasing as you go to make the ruffle fan out slightly. That's it! Try it on as you go and stop making the ruffle when it is as long as you like. If you wish to make ruffled cuffs, simply chain around (or pick up and knit) the wrists and make a similar ruffle for as long as desired.

Variations: You needn't make one which goes from wrist-to-wrist. You can measure from elbow-to-elbow, or even upperarm-to-upperarm. Just remember to always leave stitches to measure C open in the center.

For a snug fitting shrug, measure a snug fitting sweater. For a loose shrug, measure a loose fitting sweater.

shrugfront.jpgshrugback.jpg

I used the "sweater stitch" for the body of mine, which is much lighter weight than normal sc.

Chain any even number of chains.

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. Ch 1, turn. (you must have an odd number of scs at this point)

Row 2: Sc in FLO of first stitch, * sc in BLO of next stitch, sc in FLO of next stitch* across. Ch 1, turn.

Rows 3 - ?: Repeat row 2. (You will notice that you're always putting a sc in the opposite loop from the one below, which makes a bit of a seed stitch pattern.)

(This pattern repeat can be worked over any odd number, plus ONE for the starting chain.)

For the ruffle, I single crocheted around the body opening, making sure my sc were an amount divisible by three. My ruffle pattern is *2dc, ch 1, 2dc (shell made), ch 1 skip 2 scs* across. On subsequent rounds, slip stitch into the center of the shell, do a ch 3 for initial dc, then dc, ch 1, 2dc, ch 1. In next shell, make shell (2dc, ch1, 2dc) ch 1.

I repeated this for five rounds, then put two chains between the shells for five rounds. Then put three chains between the shells for five rounds. Then, I changed the shells to *3dc, ch1, 3dc - ch 3* for several rounds, until I had to move up to *4dc, ch 1, 4dc* shells with an increasing number of chains between rounds - ending with (I believe) 4dc, ch 1, 4dc, ch 6. In the final round I simply sc in each stitch around.

The tie is simply a short length of chain, which my daughter threaded through an opening on each side of the ruffle - in a place where she wanted. You can also cross the ruffle over your torso and pin it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh goodness Thank you so much for your generosity I just know we are going to be seeing some lovely pics very soon. I have to make one for myself after I finish a few things. Thank you Thank you :hug

You're welcome. I "fudged" it the whole time, so it's something very easy to just make up as you go along. It only looks tricky, which is my favorite kind of thing. Recipes, too! I like the foods which taste difficult to make but were actually quite easy. :)

You are an angel!!!! thank you so much for explaining this. I have been looking for this pattern for months. I originally asked anyone if they had the pattern for Oprah's jacket....just like this one. I can't wait to make it. Thank you !!!:hug

You're welcome. I "fudged" it the whole time, so it's something very easy to just make up as you go along. It only looks tricky, which is my favorite kind of thing. Recipes, too! I like the foods which taste difficult to make but were actually quite easy. :)

Aaaaah, a woman after my own heart!! :) Thanks so much for posting that!

Well, I can't say I have really fudged on anything. I am more the follow a pattern person, just because I still don't have the experience that alot of you all have. I do pride myself that I can follow pretty much any pattern out there, but I really wish I had the imagination to go off on my own with something. That being said.... I have printed this out, and when I can get the yarn I need for it and the time... I AM going to try this one. Any suggestions on what type of yarn would be best?

Wish me luck!

Lauri, this is GREAT. I love this kind of "pattern" that lets you get the basic idea and then adjust it for size and get creative with it! I've never seen any books do petterns this way, but it's such a great idea. It's kind of like "choose your own adventure" books, but with a crochet pattern! Thank you so much for sharing it!

:book Raquel

This my kind of pattern! At least this way I know it will fit. It turned out beautiful, the model is very pretty also.

Thank you very much for all the work you put into this and that you are sharing it with us.

Take care,Angie

Oh, this is wonderful! Your schematics makes it so much clearer and less intimidating - I simply MUST give this a try now! :cheer

One more question - how much and what kind of yarn did you use for your pattern? I'd like to know, so I can have an idea of how much I'll need for this project. If this has been asked and answered already, just smack me upside the head! I didn't see it. :blush

*pondering my stash* :hook

I used Bernat Baby Softee in pink http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-bernat-baby-yarn.html and it took almost all of three skeins. I was surprised, actually, that it took quite so much for a womens size small. (US 6/8) I used a G hook for the body and an H hook for the ruffle. I believe my gauge was about 3 spi. I think any sport or dk weight yarn would be best, but I don't really like bulky clothing.

This is going on my list of things to try in knit, just because I think it'd look fabulous. I want to try it with Red Heart Light & Lofty.

Thank you!!

:frog

Archived