Confusion of pattern "Barefoot Summer Days"

kiwikitti

Question

I am working the pattern "Barefoot Summer Days" by Kathy Wesley in the American School of Needlework booklet called The Ultimate Book of Scrap Afghans. However, now I have questions about this pattern. If you have this booklet it comes from adding the edging to the center strip of flowery type things. Now, if you don't, here is the part of the pattern I have having problems with.

To start with you make a strip of motifs. These all work out fine from the 1st to the 36th. The last row of these end in a "ch 7, sk next 6 dc, scin 3rd ch of turning ch-3. Ch 3, turn."

This takes you into the next (to the very last 37th motif). This one works a little differently. I'd give more example on the details for information but I don't want to violate copyrights and all. Anyway, it is important for the issue I am having to inform on how the 3rd row of the 37th motif works.

"Dc in next ch-1 sp, 4 dc over post of dc just made- petal made; sc in next ch-1 sp;*(ch 3, dc in next ch-1 sp, 4 dc over post of dec just made-petal made);sc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * 3 times more, then rep from ( to ) once; sc in 3rd ch of turning ch-3. Finish off and weave in ends."

Notice how there is no extra chains involved in this last row.

Here is where I start to have the issue. For the strip border you are to "Hold Center Strip with right side facing you and beg ch at top. With MC, make lp on hook and join an sc in first unused lp of beg ch." and the first row starting with this "Ch 3, withing in unused lps of beg ch, sk next 5 lps, sc in next lp, ch 2, sk edge dc of next 2 rows, sc in next ch..." (it goes on for a VERY LONG paragraph about just this row.)

My issue is this: Where exactly am I attaching this border yarn!?! Never in the last row of the 37th motif do I have an extra 7 anywhere. Nor is there at the very bottom of the first motif (it's on a small ch and then a row of dc's worked directly into the starting ch.)

So far all I can get from working the strip border onto the center strip is that I start at the top, which has no extra chs anywhere, unless I am just not seeing this at all. (which happens occasionally sadly enough). In other words, all I have worked out about this border is very very little and only a bit important in the all over scheme at the moment.

If anyone could help out that would be fantastic! Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

An unused loop is a loop from that original chain. When you work into that original chain, you work through 1 or two loops but that leaves 1 loop still not used. That is the loop they mean.

Sandie's pics might help you to see what i mean - look at fig. 2

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/into-foundation-ch.htm

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much, Darski. :hug Soon as I read that it was very much a "duh" moment. I suppose I just never think of these loops and then they just disappear for me so to speak! Here I was trying to think of it so so much more complicated then it was.

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much, Darski. :hug Soon as I read that it was very much a "duh" moment. I suppose I just never think of these loops and then they just disappear for me so to speak! Here I was trying to think of it so so much more complicated then it was.

I sure know that feeling. I have a bad habit of making things overly complicated myself. :wlol

Archived