Light Raspberry Hat and Scarf for Christmas

yarnjeannie

This is a hat and scarf set I finished for a Christmas gift. The scarf came first - then I wondered about making a matching hat. I didn't work from a pattern for either one. I made another set like this one in country rose, too.

IMG_3208.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! I've finished 3 of these sets so far, for three nieces. The third set is a soft sage green.

The open spaces come from criss-crossed double crochets with rows of single crochet between each worked in the opposite direction. The hat starts out with single crochets and goes into alternating rows to match the scarf. When finished, I turned the hat inside out to get a nice smooth top. I used good old Red Heart Super Saver to make both pieces - when they are washed they will be very soft. I need to make one more set - for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we had our Christmas get-together yesterday. Each of my sister's three teenage step-daughters received a hat-scarf set. I don't know if they were such a hit with the girls. When the second girl opened her package, you could almost see the "Oh, no - that means I got one too" look on the face of the third girl. :( Their dad asked one of the girls to try the hat on. She did and she looked adorable in it. But neither of the other girls took theirs out of the box. I'm a little disappointed. My sister said she liked them and might be borrowing them. I know I'm tooting my own horn here, but the girl who tried the hat on really looked sweet in it. She has long brown hair, as do her sisters, and the hat was perfect with long hair. I hope they like them and use them.

IMG_3208.jpg

Oh, Jeanne, you made such beautiful sets! I am sorry that you didn't get the reaction that you should have. I can just see that hat with long hair under it. I made a really nice hat last year for my daughter, who is now 30. I thought it was great. She has never worn it, and I wish that I had made it for myself. Oh well. :crocheting

Archived