3 boteh scarves

Pyogazel

Xmas presents for members of my family (3 down, 7 more to go)

2096869379_820d6def58_m.jpg 2096869387_3cd30bda28_m.jpg

(pictures clickable)

K. Merrick's "boteh scarf"...

This time lazy me added the single crochet edging, it gives a very elegant finish (much better than the nontheless pretty edging-less former version).

The pink ones have tassels, I think it gives a more girly-fun look

Three different yarns and gauges :

deep pink : glased acrylic and crochet hook n° 2,5 (1and a half skein - toddler size)

light pink : baby acrylic and crochet hook n° 3,5 (1 skein - toddler size)

variagated grey : acrylice & mohair blend, crochet hook n° 5,5 (2 skeins - adult size)

The first one is for a 3 years old girl (deep pink), the second one is for a 5 years old girl ( light pink), the last one is for their mother, a sneakers-jeans kind of young woman.

Truth be told, I don't have the pattern (Interweave Crochet, Spring 2007).

I worked from pictures of finished projects, but I love this design...

Thank you for looking, more pictures in my Flickr Photostream :hook

Wow! I love that scarf pattern so much. The deep pink is really a wonderful color. That is amazing that you worked up the scarves without the actual pattern! I read once that in the Victorian age women would make swatches of a pattern stitch instead of have a pattern to reference. You must be very experienced to do something like that!

Those are gorgeous! I can't believe you re-created them without a pattern. I have the pattern and was having so much trouble, I gave up! (I have subsequently learned there is an error in the pattern so I may try again). I love the tassels at the ends.

Joan

Could the pattern be put up on this forum? I would like to make it for my daughter.

No, it is a copyrighted pattern and cannot be posted.

you could look for the magazine perhaps at the site.

I tried to make this scarf 3 times and it hates me. lol. And I had the pattern so I'm really impressed that you figured it out from looking at a picture! Great job!

Thank you everyone,

I think the pattern is very clever, I don't know if I got it right but I like the way mine look :)

JCB, Eliea, don't give up on yours.

What does BOTEH stand for?

Boteh is a pattern widely used in Indian traditional fiber art and decoration.

"Boteh derives its name from the Persian word for "a cluster of leaves". There is some contention as to whether the pattern was first used in Persia or in the Indian Subcontinent."

(http://www.pakpersianrugs.com)

It's the original version of paisley, this motif is thought to represent the forms of pine cones, cypress trees or the flame of Zoroaster. Boteh is a very popular motif in many types of traditional Oriental rugs.

Archived