What's your favorite thread?

birdlady1

I have used Aunt Lydia's, and I think it's nice.

What I have that I really NEED to throw away is some green thread...not sure what kind, since I've had it for ages. Usually I stick the wrapper inside the ball of thread, but this one got away from me over the years. Anyway, I made a little tiny Christmas tree with it, and the tree itself was really cute. However, after I stiffened it, it looks almost "dusty" or dirty. I think it's the thread. :( What a bummer. I was going to give the little tree to my sister, but certainly won't now, since it looks pretty bad.

My problem is that the stores around here....WalMart, Joann, etc....have such limited colors. Anyone have a good online source for DECENT thread??

I've used the Aunt Lydia's, I know and I liked it.

The one that I don't like is the Sissy thread - *very* stiff and hard to work with. It was what one of my LYS carried and came in a lovely bright blue color.

• 4 weeks later...

It's kind of "hairy" so I wouldn't do a doily with it, but with the softness and shine, it is perfect for Christening Gowns and infant dresses.

beaddetail.jpg

I got some from a LYS that went out of business and have been trying unsuccessfully to locate more on the internet (Google Omega Perla brings up mostly lingerie) While reading this thread I discovered you can get it at www.crochetstyleetc.com :clap

Can't wait for my shipment to arrive!

R

:blushOops--should've put a penny in that photo for perspective. It is a #10 size and here's the whole project

wholedress.jpg

I like using Royale and Aunt Lydia. I just purchased some America's Best but I haven't tried it yet.

I have lots of South Maid too but I only been using it for smaller projects because I will be crocheting along and bam, no more thread, it broke off from the rest.

I am having a hard time finding a white and ecru color that is not stiff. Any suggestions for those colors?

markyzmom:

Holy Cow, gorgeous! And thanks for the info... for a newbie like me who is trying to gather info, that type of input in invaluable!:)

I use DMC Cebelia almost exclusively, but I also have used the Turkish thread (name escapes me at the moment) and I have some hand-dyed thread my sister picks up at quilt shows for me; they are very nice, too. I'm really interested in trying Valdani.

So where's the best (least expensive) place to buy Cebelia????

It's usually around $2.99 at Hobby Lobby. ($2.29 on sale). Herschnner's is $3.67, but there are shipping costs. Michael's charges a whopping $4.49.

Unfortunately, none of the above ever has all the colors. Hobby Lobby usually has a so-so selection, but Michael's usually has only ecru and white and not in all sizes. If you want specific colors, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and order it thru Herschnner's. (Try to wait until they have a deal on shipping.)

What do you think of Cro Sheen and Cebila (I think that's what its called) ? I'm thinking of buying in some from the US but don't know what its like to work with especially for baby items.

I absolutely love Grandma's Best - been using it for years. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. Like someone said, I'm going to be heartbroken when it's all gone (but I bought several 1000-yd balls recently so that should keep me going for a while at least).

I've also used Aunt Lydia's and Royale, and some colors are fine (cream, for one), while others are really thick and very rough. Not my favorite but I can work with it when I need color.

When I'm working with AL or Royale colors, I need something a little thicker than GB (which is on the thin side), so I go with America's Best in white. It's not as good as GB, but pretty darn close. I just don't like that their colors are very rough, so I only buy white from them.

I tried Cebelia and didn't like it, too twisty for my taste.

Did I mention I like soft threads? ;)

Wow, it's that cheap at Hobby Lobby? I bought mine at Joann's when they had a sale a few weeks ago. But I think I paid about $3.25 per ball.

Yes. My mom (who uses boatloads of Cebelia) routinely pays $2.99 for it. I've bought it there at that price, too. And it's the price on their website.

I've been using Aunt Lydia's too, although I'm using some J&P Coats Knit-Cro-Sheen for the filet I'm finishing up. I would never use it for clothing! It is so rough feeling. I don't think they even make it anymore; I bought a huge bag of these balls at a thrift store.

I visited Showers of Flowers on Thursday because their discounted thread was hanging in my mind. It was DMC thread made in France, in sizes 5 or 8 for a little over $2 a ball. I picked out about a dozen balls of the #5 but put them back when I saw they only had about 50 yards on each ball.

Since Katchkan recommended it, I also looked at the DMC Cabelia (sp?) but didn't want to pay that much for it at an LYS. I'm sure it'll be cheaper elsewhere if I decide to use it for future projects.

They sell J& P and knitting warehosue along with DMC.

I'm new to this thread thing. And Doily making. Going to start one today.

*S*

One thing I want to note here is that as much as I love the Dmc threads. When I comes to white thread I normally choose the Royale. To me it just seems as if the white is a cleaner, brighter white. Of course that may just be me. But I like a nice clean looking white.

Archived