What's your favorite thread?

birdlady1

I'm sorry if this topic has recently been covered, but I didn't see anything in past threads.

I'm quickly becoming addicted to thread crochet, having nearly completed my second filet project (thanks to our wonderful Katchkan!) Until now I've been using Aunt Lydia's or the "common" threads that are available at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels.

I went to Showers of Flowers this afternoon and found all sorts of wonderful threads (none of which I purchased .... how's that for discipline?!) including Opera and a few others whose names I don't remember.

What are your favorite threads and why?

I'm sorry if this topic has recently been covered, but I didn't see anything in past threads.

I'm quickly becoming addicted to thread crochet, having nearly completed my second filet project (thanks to our wonderful Katchkan!) Until now I've been using Aunt Lydia's or the "common" threads that are available at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels.

I went to Showers of Flowers this afternoon and found all sorts of wonderful threads (none of which I purchased .... how's that for discipline?!) including Opera and a few others whose names I don't remember.

What are your favorite threads and why?

My Favorite is DMC, Because it's good quaility for the money, I also like the Opera threads. I don't mind the Royale Thread. It is better quality than the Aunt Lydia's. I am not fond of South maid at all. To me it's poor quality.

I use Aunt Lydias because it's what is available at Walmart. We have no big craft stores around here. The closest one is 45 minutes away & I don't drive. :eek

I've seen the DMC in the catalogs & it looks beautiful. I may have to give it a try. Does it have a shiny look? Because the A. Lydias is more flat, dull looking. Does that make sense? :think:lol

I use Aunt Lydias because it's what is available at Walmart. We have no big craft stores around here. The closest one is 45 minutes away & I don't drive. :eek

I've seen the DMC in the catalogs & it looks beautiful. I may have to give it a try. Does it have a shiny look? Because the A. Lydias is more flat, dull looking. Does that make sense? :think:lol

Both the DMC and the Opera have a nice sheen to them.

So is it all of the DMC thread that everyone likes or a specific thread they manufacture? I understand now about the mercerized thread (thank you).

Showers of Flowers had two huge bags of DMC thread that she was going to let go for a song. But there weren't many matching colors.

Both the DMC and the Opera have a nice sheen to them.

Thank you! :manyheart

I like the DMC and also the America's Best.

America's Best seems to have colors no one else carries.

The DMS has a nice shine to it.:hook

I have also used Americas Best. :yes I like the colors too. :hook

So is it all of the DMC thread that everyone likes or a specific thread they manufacture? I understand now about the mercerized thread (thank you).

Showers of Flowers had two huge bags of DMC thread that she was going to let go for a song. But there weren't many matching colors.

I like the Cebelia. I don't use the traditions. That is their cheap thread.

Just like Aunt Lydias is Coat's cheap thread. Okay I should use the term economy.

For a song~~~I would have bought the bag anyway. In thread world a little can go a long ways. Centers, borders etc. or even just 1 or 2 rows of color can do alot to a doily or even for filet crocheting. I'm crocheting on a doily now for christmas with beads. For my mother -in -law.

For a song~~~I would have bought the bag anyway. In thread world a little can go a long ways. Centers, borders etc. or even just 1 or 2 rows of color can do alot to a doily or even for filet crocheting. I'm crocheting on a doily now for christmas with beads. For my mother -in -law.

There were actually TWO bags of assorted colors -- about 50+ balls? Here's their website: www.showersofflowers.com. Contact the owner, Sharon, and see if she can send you photos and shipping information.

The for-a-song price I think was something like $2 a ball, discounted further if all were purchased.

Kathy, thanks for the additional lead on which of the DMC theads you like the best.

Be careful-there are different grades/styles of DMC, I got hold of some DMC Traditions that was not mercerized and it was AWFUL. Like crocheting with twisted tissue paper.

I ordered 30 balls of DMC traditions from Herrsherners and they sent me that unmercerized crap and I sent it back, they said it was a mistake and that all the thread was now mercerized, I had them send me 30 more balls, again, unmercerized......I sent it back and got most of my money back....now if you check the Traditions thread at wal-mart all the colors are unmercerized........I wonder why they have changed it??? I tried emailing both Herrsherners and DMC and never got an answer.....they keep telling me it was the same....and I sent them labels from both the mercerized and unmercerized....the works just didn't understand what I was saying.....so I buy Cebalia

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, thanks for this info.... I started feet first without investigating and got the Aunt Lydia's and my fingers hurts from the thread rubbing against them... I thought I just needed to work up a callous or two.... but it looks like I need to get better thread! :D

I am hoping this will get my stitches a bit more uniform as well... off to investigate y'all's recommendations on hooks. (Or start a new "thread" asking such.... :lol -- no pun intended!)

I've been using Aunt Lydia's too, although I'm using some J&P Coats Knit-Cro-Sheen for the filet I'm finishing up. I would never use it for clothing! It is so rough feeling. I don't think they even make it anymore; I bought a huge bag of these balls at a thrift store.

I visited Showers of Flowers on Thursday because their discounted thread was hanging in my mind. It was DMC thread made in France, in sizes 5 or 8 for a little over $2 a ball. I picked out about a dozen balls of the #5 but put them back when I saw they only had about 50 yards on each ball.

Since Katchkan recommended it, I also looked at the DMC Cabelia (sp?) but didn't want to pay that much for it at an LYS. I'm sure it'll be cheaper elsewhere if I decide to use it for future projects.

I guess everyone has different preferances...I use Aunt Lydia's and like it.
If you like Aunt Lydia's try the Royale, It's even nicer and normally around the same price range. I can get all the same color's in it also as the Aunt Lydia's. I can definitely feel a difference when I work with the 2 different threads. I started a tablecloth in Aunt Lydia's but will be starting over in the Royale as I want the best my money can afford for that type of project. Unfortunately it would cost me an arm and a leg to do it in Dmc thread. And I am less than rich......

Thank you for the tip, Katchkan. I will give Royale a try. It will be a long time before I can though....I think. I wrote a letter to Santa and asked for Aunt Lydia's in MANY different colors.....and lo and behold...a rather large, light weight box appeared under the tree.

I love Royale, too!!!

That South Maid Is junky!! I have several balls of cream .....maybe I can make a market bag with them or something like that. LOL>

South Maid is the pits. I hate that thread. I did use up 2 balls of it here on the dragon wall hanging. Figured it wouldn't get much stress. But it slowed me down as I had to be so careful of my stitching. I will never purchase anymore of that thread. :angry

Well, fortunately for me, I didn't lose any money on mine. I "inherited" it..so I wil put it to some good use!

I am almost finished doing the Timberline Tote, Kathy, and I used South Maid Ecru for it, which is actually looking pretty good. I am loving working on that. The second piece has gone much faster for me.

Well, fortunately for me, I didn't lose any money on mine. I "inherited" it..so I wil put it to some good use!

I am almost finished doing the Timberline Tote, Kathy, and I used South Maid Ecru for it, which is actually looking pretty good. I am loving working on that. The second piece has gone much faster for me.

I got mine in a yard sale find so I can't complain about the cost. But I would never ever recommend that thread to anyone or buy more of it. I have a few other balls in some lovely colors but dread using them.

Glad to hear you have the tote about done. Can't wait to see it.....:D

I've been using Aunt Lydia's too, although I'm using some J&P Coats Knit-Cro-Sheen for the filet I'm finishing up. I would never use it for clothing! It is so rough feeling. I don't think they even make it anymore; I bought a huge bag of these balls at a thrift store.

I wonder what J & P Coates did to their Knit-Cro-Sheen to roughen it up? I have about four dozen of the really large balls of vintage Knit-Cro-Sheen that I won in an Ebay auction about six months or so ago (about 50/50 white and ecru), and I LOVE it! It's so SOFT! It's nothing like the thread that they're selling today as Knit-Cro-Sheen. It really does have a nice sheen to it and it's beautiful to work with! The stitches lay absolutely flat and straight and I'm going to be heartbroken when it's finally all gone!

I tried doing filet with a roll of South Maid #10 thread and it was like trying to nail Jello to a tree! UGH! It's rough and it's stiff and I might as well have been trying to crochet with wire for the appearance it was giving.

After Christmas I'm planning on placing a large order for Valdani thread. I am totally in awe of the array of colors that it comes in, and after conversing briefly with Lori (The Shrone) about it, I can't WAIT to try it! I have become totally addicted to thread crochet and can't wait to finish my Christmas projects so I can just sit and start churning out doilies! I SO admire Lori's doilies and, while I know I've got a lot of work ahead of me, she has inspired me so much to start my own collection of beautiful doilies! I know the Valdani thread is a bit pricier than most, but the selection of colors is just mind-boggling!

Elle

I have used the DMC Traditions and liked the feel of it a lot. Another thing that I have noticed is that the DMC thread states on the wrapper that is colorfast. None of the other brands do. I've used Coats & Clarke Royal and it was ok, but I really liked the DMC traditions.

Beverly

I just visited the Peaches & Creme website and certainly am impressed by the thread color selection as well as the selection in thread sizes. It's much better than the selection in stores or at Herrshner's or Joann websites. Hope to buy from them in the future. I prefer to buy from American companies whenever possible.

Beverly

I just visited the Peaches & Creme website and certainly am impressed by the thread color selection as well as the selection in thread sizes. It's much better than the selection in stores or at Herrshner's or Joann websites. Hope to buy from them in the future. I prefer to buy from American companies whenever possible.

Beverly

The first time I visited their site I was also amazed to see the color selection, because all the Peaches and Creme thread I've seen in stores has been the same three colors - white, ecru, and the variegated of green, peach and white. When I first learned about Peaches and Creme all I could think was "what's the big deal about this stuff? You might as well crochet with bakery string!" Now that I know the selection they have, I really have to wonder why all the stores seem to carry the same three colors?

Elle

Archived