Fixing a buttonhole

soleilnyc

Question

Ok, ok, so it's really a knitting question, don't shoot!! :blush

I figure you guys might have the solution: I did a one row buttonhole on this adorable baby sweater, but as time goes by, the buttonholes are stretching and the buttons are popping out! I think part of what is making this happen is that I used a Terrysoft yarn that by nature kind of "de-crinkles" and loosens up, and also that I may have knit a little loosely--I also crochet pretty loosely.

Is there anything I can do to make the buttonholes hold? Like a whipstitch or something? If you guys have any ideas I'd love a blow by blow :manyheart

4 answers to this question

Ok, ok, so it's really a knitting question, don't shoot!! :blush

I figure you guys might have the solution: I did a one row buttonhole on this adorable baby sweater, but as time goes by, the buttonholes are stretching and the buttons are popping out! I think part of what is making this happen is that I used a Terrysoft yarn that by nature kind of "de-crinkles" and loosens up, and also that I may have knit a little loosely--I also crochet pretty loosely.

Is there anything I can do to make the buttonholes hold? Like a whipstitch or something? If you guys have any ideas I'd love a blow by blow :manyheart

What you can do is thread some of the same yarn through the stitches -around the buttonhole - and pull it (just) tightly enough to be secure. If you are a sewer, you probably know about taking three tiny sititches in one place to secure your yarn, I would do that for the beginning and the end for this so that you don't have huge tails to deal with.

I have done this when I made a loop too big with crochet and I am a knitter so I know it will work there as well.

:cheerBaggy buttonhles can be a real pain but should be simple to fix.

Do a round of Buttonhole stitch around each hole or crochet around with slip stitches or work a row of daisy stitch around the hole or simply, get bigger buttons.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, Why would we shout about a knitting question? There is a knitting section here now and some of us enjoy doing both.

Thanks for the tips guys! I probably can't do the three little stitches thing because the yarn is so bulky, but I am intrigued: no, I'm not familiar with that darski, would love to figure that one out!

Colleen, I will probably try slipstitching the buttonholes--getting new buttons is out because it's too late: I've fallen in love with them! :blush

Thank you thank you thank you again, you're the best!:hug

You can try splitting the yarn and just use 1 strand of it rather than the whole strand for sewing. That way it will still match the sweater and should blend in a lot easier than using the whole strand.

HTH!

Archived