America's Best Polyester Thread

nemohee

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before (I searched and couldn't find this question), but I am considering making some snowflake ornaments that must be starched. I have a great deal of America's Best bedspread thread (from elmore-pisgah, which is polyester instead of cotton. Will this starch up nicely, or should I go and buy some cotton thread?

Thanks!

I'd be curious to know what you find out. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 yards of it (I got a giant ball in each grab bag I ordered this past summer).

I'm making ornament covers right now, so I don't need to stiffen those, but I'd be interested in doing some experimenting in the future with stiffening this thread.

BTW, I love this thread! It is so soft...

• 5 weeks later...

Ok...so it doesn't take starching so well. Perhaps glue would work better, but I recommend saving this thread for doilies and other things that don't need to be stiffened...

Didn't see this thread until now, sorry. The only thing that you can really stiffen is cotton. Same goes for blocking - if it's acrylic, it's no use trying to block it (I tried once). :(

Didn't see this thread until now, sorry. The only thing that you can really stiffen is cotton. Same goes for blocking - if it's acrylic, it's no use trying to block it (I tried once). :(

It's ok! Sometimes it's better to learn by experience :D

Hi,

I made a runner few moths ago by using 6 cord, size 30 polyester thread, here is the picture.

Polyester threads (the one I am using) runny, harder to work with but when I complete the project, it looks silky, soft, feels silky too. Does not require pinning, only needs moderate heat ironing, never needs ironing again and stein free too. I hope this info helps, I think they are not good for snowflakes, (season is over anyways )

I have another doily picture made with polyester thread and beads ,I posted under bead crochet section about year ago

http://usera.imagecave.com/demeteileen/IMG_2287-copy.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have succesfully stiffened snowflake ornaments using this thread with the epsom salt soak method , and when the epsom salts crystalize it makes the snowflake have a crystaline shimmer to it.

Scenna

I have succesfully stiffened snowflake ornaments using this thread with the epsom salt soak method , and when the epsom salts crystalize it makes the snowflake have a crystaline shimmer to it.Scenna

Hi Scenna, I've never done Epsom salt before, can you tell me how you do it, soak it first in starch ,then the salt mixture? Do I do both ....or just the epsom salt mixture only?

sunnywolfgar

Just the epsom salts mixture. to get it to crystalize you need to let it be soaking wet and lay it out on plastic wrap to dry, sometimes it takes a few wettings and dryings with the mixture to attain the crystal effect.

here is the recipes for different stiffeners...

http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet8.php

Also the hairspray method might work well too, I know there was nothing I could not shape may hair into in the 80's including a 12 in tall mowhawk lol with a can of aqua net extra super hold :D

Archived