width problem

shelly_bean

Question

I don't know if i really need help or i just need to kinda complain about it.

but does anyone else's scarfs seem to be wider on the ends?? Mine always seem to work up that way despite the fact that don't do anything different when making it.. it's driving me nuts.. so please if you have the same problem please let me know so I don't feel alone. :lol

14 answers to this question

Mine do that also. I'm wondering if I use a smaller hook size for the first couple of rows would that help.

But I haven't worried about it enough to do that. The scarves are lovely and warm and my friends love them. That's all that counts.

Edith

it is possible that it is the weight of the scarf that makes the centre get slimmer rather than the edges being wider.

A friend gave me a knitted fun fur :rolleyes scarf that is about 4.5 inches on the edges but it goes down to only about 2 inches at the centre. it is just about useless for keeping warm... looks great but useless at a bus stop.

Are you sure you have the same ammount of stitches each row? Mine only do that when I am off count stitches in rows. I did a lot of the fun fur scarves and never had them wider at the top and narrow at the bottom but I mark each end with a stitch marker so I know exactly where the last stitch is and the first stitch of the next row. If I didn't they would be really wonky. Mary

Mine TOTALLY do this! And it's only on the starting end. I did hear before, that you should chain your starting chain with a hook one size larger (like Cranky Crocheter said), and then switch for the first row to the hook you'll be using for the entire scarf. I have no idea why that might make a difference, but I always forget to try it so I don't know if that is it or not.

Are you sure you have the same ammount of stitches each row? Mine only do that when I am off count stitches in rows. I did a lot of the fun fur scarves and never had them wider at the top and narrow at the bottom but I mark each end with a stitch marker so I know exactly where the last stitch is and the first stitch of the next row. If I didn't they would be really wonky. Mary

yup same amount of stitches, I just don't get it. I am a slight perfectionist when it comes to my work, and I just don't like how it looks. :sigh I guess I just have to get used to it.

Try an sc border. That usually equalizes things without having to block or use a different hook.

On the subject of hooks, the one-size-larger trick really helps! Also, when you work into your starting chain are you going through both loops, one loop or the back loop? The end is more likely to become warped if you are only going through one loop on the chain.

I have got around this problem another way. I've just finished some long 'skinny' scarves for our Chapel Sale next week. Simple instructions:

Crochet a length of chain, mine were about 36/40 inches; Then HDC in each chain along the length, a few extra to turn the corner then all along the other side. I just kept going around until they were the width I wanted. Mine were about 4 inches wide. With the rounded ends I was really pleased at how they turned out. I did a couple in a thick chenille and a couple in acrylic with mohair.Use any yarn with an appropriate hook. Just a fast idea for you.

Crochet hugs

June :hug :hug

I have got around this problem another way. I've just finished some long 'skinny' scarves for our Chapel Sale next week. Simple instructions:

Crochet a length of chain, mine were about 36/40 inches; Then HDC in each chain along the length, a few extra to turn the corner then all along the other side. I just kept going around until they were the width I wanted. Mine were about 4 inches wide. With the rounded ends I was really pleased at how they turned out. I did a couple in a thick chenille and a couple in acrylic with mohair.Use any yarn with an appropriate hook. Just a fast idea for you.

Crochet hugs

June :hug :hug

I love making my scarves this way in crochet. I have started using a (2dc, ch1, 2 dc) in the end and I love that point... I don't yet know how well received they are but I like them

Crochetville is SO amazing! I have been having the exact same problem lately and hoped that I'd find an answer here, but I also thought that my search would probably take me to a thread at least a couple of years old. But here it is, problem and answer posted within just a couple of weeks - amazing!

Has anyone tried using a hook one or two sizes smaller for just the starting chain? That seems to have worked for me the last 2 times I tried it. I remember hearing previously about using a different size hook for the chain row, but I thought it must be a smaller one, which is why I took the route I did. Although I found that going one size smaller didn't make that much of a difference in my case, so I went down 2 sizes. Going one size larger seems like it would make the problem even worse, but, since "I heard it here on Crochetville" I am going to try that method and see how it works out for me. I'm perplexed as to why I'm just now seeing this problem. I believe I would have definitely noticed it in the past, it's so obvious. Oh well, just glad to have some solutions.

Thank you so much for posting this thread and to everyone for your awesome help!

:cheerIt is just the stretch which causes the middle of the scarf to get narrower and the answer is, as someone else said, to do the long chain and work to the width.

Remember though, no-one actually sees this effect when you are wearing a scarf, it is only noticable when you are not wearing it.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Most people I know have to go up a hook size for the foundation chain because they crochet tight. I crochet a little loose son don't have to do that. My teacher said I am just real relaxed and having fun with it as a stress reliever. If you don't crochet real tight then I don't see any reason why you can't go down a hook size for that but I am no expert. Mary

I prob should have mentioned in my initial post that I haven't made a scarf in several years and I didn't have this problem back then. However, where I've seen it recently has been in the sweaters/vests, baby robes/jackets that I've made. I've "fixed" the problem when I'm sewing the seams together (carefully gathering in any excess ease) or any finishing border that I use usually tightens up the loose bottom edges. But I'd certainly prefer not to have the problem exist in the first place. Going down 2 hook sizes for the chain worked well for me, but I might try going up a hook size too. I'm definitely not a tight crocheter, but I don't think that I'm a particularly loose crocheter either. For most patterns I have to use 1-2 hook sizes larger, but occasionally I've had to go down a couple of hook sizes too. :think

Archived