Carrying yarn, changing colors

Carol

Question

I am making the Inca Hat in "Adorable Crochet for Babies." There are 15 rows where you have to make 3 sc, then change color, make 3 sc, change back to the other color, make 3 sc, etc. I'm using Rowan 4-Ply Cotton (like Paton's Grace and Sinfonia) and am carrying the two colors along and crocheting over them as I go.

Here's the problem: It took me all night to do 1 1/2 rows because you have to change color every 3 sc's! So now I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way to do this. Every 3 stitches, I'm changing colors and moving threads around and holding the other one while I sc over it.

I love everything else about this pattern, but this will take me weeks at this rate. How exactly should I be holding these two threads and making color changes? Any tips?

Thank you.

Carol

2 answers to this question

One thing that I learned to do when working two colours is to put them far apart on either side of me. that keeps it clear in my mind that I need to keep them separate as I work.

You have to decide which is "in front" and which is "in back" while you work and as you change the colours, you want to be sure that you pull your 'front' to the front and carry it along or push your 'back' to the back. Once you do this, it will make sense.

by keeping the strands from crisscrossing all the time, you cut your work in half. I am assuming that you know the technique of getting your stitch to the "before the last" pull through 2 to change colours.

Changing colours frequently is going to take more time. You have to be ready for your patience meter to be given a workout.:yes

Thx, Darski. I guess there isn't a "quick" way to do this. Thx for the tip about keeping the yarns separated; that was half the problem, I think. Yes, I know about getting your stitch to the "before the last" pull through 2 to change colours. I'm wondering if I ignore that and just make 3 complete stitches and then change threads...Perhaps the next row would cover up the fact that I didn't change colors correctly? It wouldn't be kosher, but it would be faster...! It might not show...Hmm... I'll try, but knowing me, I'll frog it and do it over.

Thx again!

Archived