What do you do while you crochet?

Kaylana

Do you watch tv or listen to music? Is there a certain show or movie that you like to watch while you work?

As for myself, when I'm home during the day I tend to crochet to Food Network (I change when Emeril comes on, can't stand him or Bobby Flay). I watch it a lot anyways, and it's a little bit of background noise that I don't have to pay too much attention to if I'm busy counting stitches. I also like to put in an old favorite movie to crochet too. Right now my favorites for this are Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Bride or Labyrinth (can you tell what genres I like?). In the evenings when my fiance is home it usually ends up with him playing a video game while I crochet. I usually look up often enough to root him on or console him after he "dies."

What about you?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet "to the beat" if I'm listening to music...which can really help if it's upbeat, and I'm not working on a "focus intensive" project. If I get a chance to :hook in the afternoon, I'll listen to cyberchase (PBS, DS fave at the moment), or whatever video the kids are watching (often veggietales). In the evening, it strongly depends if there's anything watchable on our cable-free tv. If DH is watching a game, then that becomes my background noise...(and perfect for when I have to concentrate, b/c I don't really care about sports that much...they can score 2 td, and I won't notice). Sometimes I work in silence. But evenings are my main crochet time!

Watch TV, definitely. Actually I re-taught myself to crochet in order to give my hands something to do other than eat while I watched TV in the evenings. Since we have TiVo I can catch up on all my shows after the 3 year old is in bed. Sometimes I only make it through a little of the show before I am asleep, but that is the beauty of being able to replay things as many times as I need to.

Sara

I'm a big TV watcher, so I love to watch TV while crocheting or knitting. However, I tend to miss things if I'm concentrating on the crocheting. I find I usually need to watch a show twice -- once during the week, and then again on the weekend with my significant other (I tape everything, as we work opposite shifts), so that I can catch up on what I missed.

If I'm alone, I like to listen to audio books--no need to look up, as with the TV (although if it's The Princess Bride, that's hardly necessary--my 10yo just finished watching it for the umpteenth time).

http://www.librivox.org has loads of free audio books--I sit next to my computer and crochet, downloading chapter by chapter. I just finished listening to "My Man, Jeeves," by PG Wodehouse.

~Karen

It is such a treat to crochet and listen to NPR at the same time. I do find that they repeat many shows but I am not listening THAT often. I like to look at what I am crocheting so listening to the radio is the perfect distraction.

I watch TV also, depending on the night.

Monday - Big Bang Theory.

Tuesday - NCIS & Reaper. I tape Bones.

Wednesday - Pushing Daisies.

Thursday - Ugly Betty & Supernatural.

Friday - Ghost Whisperer & Moonlight.

I never really watched that much tv until recently.

Good thing I don't have Showtime or I would be watching Dexter too.

I rent it when it comes out.

The Closer & Saving Grace will be starting soon, dang I need Tivo!

(I change when Emeril comes on, can't stand him or Bobby Flay)

Were we seperated at birth? I can't stand either one!

I generally watch tv, recently thought I'm listing to the 24 hours Christmas radio station! Can't get enough of it.

Although tonight is "Charlie Brown's Christmas" is on... so can't miss that!

Oh, and eat, did I mention I generally nibble on something!

I watch tv. Right now I am on season 10 of friends. Phoebes wedding. Then I will find another show that I have to watch. I may watch all the episodes of house or the office again. I'm betting its gonna be the office as I like to laugh alot and house you kinda have to pay attention to it. And my bf is on the kick of saying "whatcha doin? sniffin' some dudes thong?" Over and over and over again, lol. Todd PAckard the office says it.

I have no idea how you do that! :lol

It just takes a little practice. Try it sometime. Just for practice make a simple single or double crocet dishcloth or square and grab your favorite book. I bet you can do it too.

I love to read and I love to crochet so this is how I can do both. Now if I could read a very interesting book and crochet baby outfits I would be on cloud nine. :c9 I cant wait to get to that level but somehow I dont think that will happen.

Ok I know this is weird but I like to read. Of course I cant if I am working a pattern I need to be paying attintion to but if its a mile a minute or simple granny squares I can read away.

same here!

hahaha

i read harry potter when i crochet

sometiumes i crochet while reading stuff for school\

most of the time i listen to music or watch full metal alchemist

sometimes i take my crothet with me to school and ill be talking to friends and crocheting

theyre all amused by how i dont even have to look at what im doing xD

same here!

hahaha

i read harry potter when i crochet

sometiumes i crochet while reading stuff for school\

most of the time i listen to music or watch full metal alchemist

sometimes i take my crothet with me to school and ill be talking to friends and crocheting

theyre all amused by how i dont even have to look at what im doing xD

LOL I was reading Harry Potter today!

• 2 weeks later...
Law & Order reruns in all formats; Without a Trace; Anything crime related - See a pattern here????

I am a Law & Order nut :lol I also like Without a Trace. These are some of favorite shows to watch while I am crocheting.

If I am not crocheting I like to read... You guessed it, any good myrder mystery :clap

Watch TV here.

Hallmark Channel movies or Murder She Wrote

Animal Planet

The History Channel

The O'Reilly Factor

Frasier

Home Improvement

Andy Griffith

CSpan - Congressional hearings

Roseanne

Planet Earth type shows

I try to get to bed by 1:15, but don't always make it, lol.

Beverly

I crochet while the TV is on, and if there is a night that we don't have any shows, it's to the sound of Hubby playing video games.

Monday-How I met your Mother, Big Bang, 2 1/2 Men, Rules of Engagement and Weeds(now Weeds is done for awhile, A&E is starting a new show called Paranormal something at 10pm, anyway..a group of Penn State students started it so we are going to check it out)

Tuesday-Reaper (How great is this show, it's hilarious!)

Wednesday-Right now, nothing, until Lost starts and sometimes we watch the DVR shows (Heroes and Chuck)

Thursday-Supernatural

Friday-Game night..lol

Saturday-Usually a movie

Sunday-Dexter and Brotherhood (and the Tudors once it starts again)

Archived