Sign in to follow this  
shazzeth

Markets

I get 90% of my wool from my local town market. There's a stall that sells many different varieties of yarns and wools for half+ the price! For example, only on the market could you get a ball that would usually cost £4.50...for 50p. Arcylic wool is £1 a ball, instead of the usual £2.50 at my nearest craft stockist...so you can surely see the attraction of the market :lol Plus I prefer the atmosphere in the market, compared to shops...although today I do need to take a stroll into town and buy a new crochet hook so I'll have a look at wool while I'm up there.

Anyone else use markets?

We don't have a market here.

The closest we have to what I think you're talking about is the Public Market in the city (Rochester), but most of the vendors there are fruits, vegetables and meats from local farmers. Not much in the way of cool, non-food stuff like wool. :)

(cheap fruits and veggies, though! :D)

The closest we have to what I think you're talking about is the Public Market in the city (Rochester), but most of the vendors there are fruits, vegetables and meats from local farmers. Not much in the way of cool, non-food stuff like wool. :)

(cheap fruits and veggies, though! :D)

Ah...I live in an English country town so we get the fruit and veg like everyone else, but there's stalls selling clothes, loads of old toys, books, films, there's plant stalls, wool, crafts, food...it's a lovely atmosphere. It's made better by the farmers' market. Everyone's happy wandering about looking for stuff...well, here's a very small shot of it:

market.jpg

If you ever come to the UK, make sure you go to a proper market :)

Oooh I wish our market was as nice as yours. :) I do go to a few markets but haven't found yarn at them lately. :(

I'm TOTALLY jealous of you! I think if we had markets like that here, I'd be there every week.

When I watch travel shows on the Travel Channel, you see the host going to markets like this. And I want to go so badly.

We have some really nice large flea markets in my town, but they aren't like the European markets. It's completely different.

Ah...I live in an English country town so we get the fruit and veg like everyone else, but there's stalls selling clothes, loads of old toys, books, films, there's plant stalls, wool, crafts, food...it's a lovely atmosphere. It's made better by the farmers' market. Everyone's happy wandering about looking for stuff...well, here's a very small shot of it:

It just dawned on me that we have some of those things at our Public Market, too, but they're usually cheap knockoffs and bootlegs of "urban" fashion. LOL!

We do have markets in my neck of the woods, but mostly in summer. There are a few indoor markets in fall/winter, but they are further from my home. I love them.

I'm TOTALLY jealous of you! I think if we had markets like that here, I'd be there every week.

When I watch travel shows on the Travel Channel, you see the host going to markets like this. And I want to go so badly.

We have some really nice large flea markets in my town, but they aren't like the European markets. It's completely different.

European markets are good stuff :D My one, each Wednesday, is well known and we get coachloads of people travelling from all over the country to come to it!