Knifty Knitter

rkcrafter

I was at Joann's today and they had for sale the Knifty Knitter set for around $12 -- do they work? is it possibly a way to get in to knitting? or would you consider it more a child's kind of thing (like the old loom loop potholder maker)

I love my knifty knitters it is great for those days where it isnt possible to get a whole lot done it makes it fast and it is very easy to learn once you get the hang of it. Some people dont like them I suppose but my hubby bought me everyone the company makes lol he was trying to make up for missing my surgery last year and ive been hooked

I love mine for making hats. Some of my kids have started using the looms as well, to make gifts for their friends. My 12 year old dd figured out how to use the smaller loom-sold by a different company, to make mittens. There are many websites with instructions, patterns, and encouragment. A good place to start is www.bevscountrycottage.com She has gazillions of patterns for needle knitting, crochet, and loom knitting. There are also a number of yahoo groups to support loom knitting. A good one for starters is Looming Newbies. Have fun exploring the creative uses of your new looms!

They work for simpler items like hats and scarves and bags. I enjoy mine for when I don't want to have to think much. The woman who teaches crochet at my acmoore absolutely swears by hers (she says it is the only way she can knit). By all means buy it and enjoy...and enjoy all the patterns you will find!!!!

I think knifty knitters are good starter looms, but they are a larger gauge than I like to use. So far my favorite knitting loom is my extra fine gauge sock loom I bought from http://www.decoraccentsinc.com/ Here's a picture of my loom with a sock on it. flower power sock

I use mine for poncho's,purses and if you like you can see my items on my blog with my crochet items as well.. http://my-looming.blogspot.com/

You have a great blog! I visit often to see what you've been up to:cheer

I've gotta try one of those ear warmers...I'm making a scarf for my sil, and I won't need all of the second skein....time to play!

There are more and more patterns available for the knifty knitter - just take a look online. Provocraft has quite a few, but there are many others. The patterns are becoming more advanced as the looms gain popularity.

As the others said, the round looms are great for hats.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm new here and I've made a few hats and scarves on the Knifty knitter. It's the only way I can crochet or knit. :)

Do you know where I might find a loom pattern for a beret, preferably free because I won't be sure I can do it until I see it. I've checked the web sites that all of you have recommended (thank you so much!) and downloaded the pooch pattern. I have 5 toy breed dogs, 2 that wear sweaters.

Nice to be here.

Hi there......I like to use my Knifty Knitters as well! I just can't get the hang of Knitting any other way....and with some practice it seems you can do all sorts of stuff with them!

I just bought myself the 4 rounds set with my gift card I got for Christmas from Hubby, and I am so excited about getting started, too! Id started learning to knit when I was younger but never caught onto it really, and have been dying for the looms. I came home straight away to start searching for free patterns, I didnt know you could do so much with them. YAY! :clap

The looms are awesome! I've made some great scarves and hats so far, and with ease. Now I'm looking for further instructions and patterns.

Good luck and keep me posted on any good sites. I'll do the same.

I think knifty knitters are good starter looms, but they are a larger gauge than I like to use. So far my favorite knitting loom is my extra fine gauge sock loom I bought from http://www.decoraccentsinc.com/ Here's a picture of my loom with a sock on it. flower power sock

I agree, I thionk the gauge is quite big. I only use the knifty knitter for specialty yarns! But it is nice when you don't want to count!! :think

What are your recommendations on a knitting loom or board that will make nice knitted pieces to use in garment construction? How many pins? Particular brand? long board or circular?

I don't want to learn how to knit (now that I have the crochet thing down pretty good - just can't deal with that long learning curve...), but I do like some of the crochet and knit combo patterns and I'd like to try making some of the garment pieces on a loom.

How cool! A sock loom! I've always wanted to make socks, but just couldn't see making them with crochet....

Archived