Sign in to follow this  
Cotton Candee

My 1st purse and matching "ditty bag"

I bought the "I love this yarn" in the dark red and dark green at Hobby Lobby and some Christmas material to make my mom in law a Christmas purse. She has been looking for one for years so I thought it would make a good gift. However, I have never made a purse before and I do not sew! :blush so... Here goes nothing!

IMG_0029.JPG

I didn't want to get fancy so I just put stripes on the front & back. I used front posts stitches throughout and really liked the outcome.

Everyone I show it to thinks it is knitting though! :think

best.jpg

Since I don't sew, I bought the iron on hem tape and taped up the seams of the lining and then just hand sewn it into the top. :devil It was so bad just sewing it, I had to pull the needle out of my thumb 3 times! I stuck myself at least 15 times! I just don't know what is wrong with me and needles but because of it sewing machines scared the dickens out of me! :eek

IMG_0024.JPG

Mom in law likes cardinals so I lined it with birds, bulbs, and other Christmas things... the red and green in the material matched the yarn beautifully.

The trim was the Yarn Bee Pizazz eyelass yarn Flicker. I chose it because I thought the little round things in the yarn looked like bulbs or lights and gave it some Christmas Cheer for the outside! :ctree

The red was just a little brighter than the red yarn in the purse but it was okay...

IMG_0028.JPG

I thought since it was a Christmas purse to jazz it up with a button to "hold the strap" on and then trim the strap with red to bring out the green.

IMG_0031.JPG

I made in my 1st waffle stitch ever, a matching ditty bag (she calls it) for her cards and papers and lined and trimmed it to match as well.

IMG_0034.JPG

Oh, she has real bad arthritis and has a hard time minipulating her fingers, so I have sewn in magnets to close both of these for her. :santaShe usually just leaves everything open which causes it all to fall out of course, so I thought this would at least help her a little. I had to get strong ones to work between the fabrics.

Brilliant! I love the colors and the thought behind everything. What a sweet DIL you are. I am the same way with sewing, that is why I have never lined any of the purses I have made. :P

Where did you find the magnets closures and how did you sew them in? I think that is an incredible idea and love to find out the secret behind them.

Sara

Beautiful purses! You did a great job. I've gotten better at sewing my lining, still not perfect or that great, but I still do it. If I can match the yarn or fabric with the thread, it does help in hiding mistakes a little.

Sara: Where did you find the magnets closures and how did you sew them in? I think that is an incredible idea and love to find out the secret behind them.

Oh, it is funny how the magnets are... I bought the round ones that are the heavy duty ones. I placed 3 of them on the fabric and then placed 2 strips of the hem iron on glue on top of each other behind the magnets... So the magnets were next to the fold and the end of the fabric is glued down to the other side of the fabric. The magnets are able to move back and forth sided to side for now...

While ironing, the magnets kept jumping up and sticking to the iron! :lol

I then did the other side with 3 magnets and then once sewn into the purse, I lined them up across from each other and sewed them to where they couldn't move back and forth. Make sure you place them so that they are attracted and not repulsed or you will have to turn one around after you have sewn it in and it will be a pain... (yeah, I thought I had it right but didn't)

what a great holiday purse...glad to see you mil appreciates your work...

Very pretty! I love the ditty bag, too! That was ingenious of you to use the magnets to close it, too! It will make things so much easier when your mother's arthritis is flaring up. Very thoughtful, as well. :)

Elle

Thank you for you kind comments!

Wow!! Those came out really nice!! Great job!!:)

:cheerwow what a great job on both those items. they turned out really nice.

never thought to use the iron on hem tape stuff. gonna have to try that trick.

thanks for sharing. judy

I love the eyelash yarn trim... that is too cool!! those little dots DO look like lights!

I love these. They're so festive! You did a great job.

Looks great...nice work !!! Thanks for sharing !!!