provo craft crochet hooks ans handles

cher49

I bought mine at wal-marts hooks f through k and a loom hook,handles are called Ergonomic.the lady who invented them has ms. the ergonomic handle offers greater comfort,reduces fatigue. I have carpel tunnel and they allow me to crochet longer with no pain.:knit

http://www.provocraft.com/products/detail.php?cl=knifty%20knitter&scl=needlecrafts&cat=&item=21-0246

I've started have hand pain when I crochet, especially my stuffed toys since the crocheting has to be tight to contain the stuffing. I bought a set a couple of weeks ago at Michaels and so far I just love using the trigger handle. I don't need to grip it very tight and so far no hand pain.

Ok I've been quiet over these because mom always said "if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything". Unfortunately I have something negative to say.

I have a set......I won it and was thrilled........then I opened it. I didn't even have to look on the back to know it was "made in China". Talk about cheaply made. I can't believe some company would make screw threads out of plastic. I'm not even sure the hooks are metal. If you break plastic hooks, don't even bother picking one of these up.

Ok.......I'm done raining on this product's parade..........and I feel better informing my fellow crocheters.

Sorry I give this product a thumbs down.

Thank you. ;) Since I am new to Crochet and I admit I know nothing. I appreciate this information. My mom uses metal hooks is all I do know. I did not look at these hooks that closely. I was not aware of threads were plastic. From my experience of toys and other things, plastic threads can be a bad thing.

I will probably hold off buying these and see what else I can find. :D

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for your posts. I wish the set was cheaper. $20.00 is a lot to pay to try something out. Still, I need something to help me with my hand pain.

Ok I've been quiet over these because mom always said "if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything". Unfortunately I have something negative to say.

I have a set......I won it and was thrilled........then I opened it. I didn't even have to look on the back to know it was "made in China". Talk about cheaply made. I can't believe some company would make screw threads out of plastic. I'm not even sure the hooks are metal. If you break plastic hooks, don't even bother picking one of these up.

Ok.......I'm done raining on this product's parade..........and I feel better informing my fellow crocheters.

Sorry I give this product a thumbs down.

I totally agree with you. Bought a set at Michael's with a 40% off coupon. Hated them. Couldn't get the hook into the handle securely and the hooks kept catching on the cotton yarn I tried them out on. I returned them and got my money back.

A complete waste of time and money.

Beverly

I have these and I think the handles are really nice but the top hook pieces should be a bit longer as I find they are a bit too short for my taste. I do like them but as with everything there are pluses and minuses to everything and it is going to be a personal preference thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SInce my last post a little while ago asking about these, I received them as a gift. I didn't know they sold them at Walmart, and I was there with a friend, and when she heard me say, "omg omg omg, they have them heeeeere!!!" I think she got the idea that I really wanted them and she secretly got them for me since I didn't really have the 20 to spend on them right then. I was super excited since I had been considering buying them myself, but a gift of it was the best! Especially because if I didn't like them I wouldn't be all annoyed, lol. I have to say, just from what I heard and the price and all, I thought they would be made much better than they are. I agree that the attachments are too short, and they definitely have that "made in china" look. It looks like cheap plastic that the silver paint will just flake off. Also the hook is pretty sharp. I love the handles though, love them! They feel so good and since I have been using the set my hands haven't gotten tired yet. I think like any new hook I just have to get used to them, but I do have to say I'm glad I didn't pay for them.

I think the folks at Provo Craft should read these posts. They have a good product, and could sure make it better.

I bought my set yesterday, and so far I'm happy. If the things fall apart, I'll copy the design and make my own hook handles with Crayola's Model Magic.

Isn't Crochetville a great place to share information and ideas!!

• 1 month later...

Hi--I am new to crochetville. I love this site!! I am mostly a knitter, but lately have been doing more crocheting than knitting.

I have made my own handles using Sculpey polymer clay--the kind you bake in the oven. I just squish it to soften it up, wrap it around a metal crochet hook, hold it the way I hold my handles when crocheting which makes a perfect mold of my hand on the handle, and pop it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 30 - 40 minutes, and I get a perfect crochet hook handle with a very comfortable, custom made thumbrest!! This has helped my hand and wrist immensly, and I can crochet all evening without pain. I will post pics on my blog this afternoon of my hooks and handles.

www.afteronemorerow.blogspot.com

I agree, generally if you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything but.....

This is my opinion on these hooks. I bought them and find that the handles are akward and uncomfortable to me. The plastic is cheap to say the least and the hook is too short for my tast as well.

I give this product 2 thumbs down and will be returning mine to the store. These could be improved very easily and hope that Provocraft will do so.

I bought my set yesterday, and so far I'm happy. If the things fall apart, I'll copy the design and make my own hook handles with Crayola's Model Magic.

I never thought of using the Model Magic--I wonder if they would be a little softer? I'm going to have to give this a try!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm expecting my second Neice, Audrey this year. So being the dotting Auntie, I decided to make her a blanket and Christening Gown. While making her blanket I started to develop some seriously uncomfortable hand pain (Welcome to getting older!)

I'm not accustomed to using smaller hooks, so I ended up purchasing the Provo Craft Hooks and A Clover Soft Touch Hook. I agree with some of the reviews about the Provo Hooks being slightly on the cheaper side, what with plastic threads and the hooks are a little sharp. I think the multi-functional way can hold the handle makes it worth it.

I would suggest thou for people who are noticing some discomfort to try the Soft Touch Hooks first. I hold my hook in Pencil Style and the Soft Touch Hooks are very comfortable, they could use a little more padding, but still add the 'beefiness' to a crochet hook which makes a F very comfortable in my hand. I have yet to experience any discomfort with these new hooks as I did with standard ones. I do think if you're worried about cost, the $20 for the option of 6 hooks with the Provo is less costly then about $5 a hook that the Clover Soft Touches will run you each.

Clover Soft Touch Metal Hook Part Measuring 3.5" while Provo's are 3.25". I hope this review has helped. :)

I bought this set recently, and I have one question for which I have been unable to find an answer. What in the world is that extra piece which is not a hook? One piece is just straight, with a bend in the middle. My set, which I bought from Knitters Warehouse for $15, has absolutely no information with it. I've emailed Knitters Warehouse - they don't know what the piece is. I've emailed Provo, but have not had an answer, and don't really expect one. Provo doesn't even seem to show the set on their site now.

Does anybody here know what that piece is and what I'm supposed to do with it? I will appreciate any insight anyone is able to give me.

I bought this set recently, and I have one question for which I have been unable to find an answer. What in the world is that extra piece which is not a hook? One piece is just straight, with a bend in the middle. My set, which I bought from Knitters Warehouse for $15, has absolutely no information with it. I've emailed Knitters Warehouse - they don't know what the piece is. I've emailed Provo, but have not had an answer, and don't really expect one. Provo doesn't even seem to show the set on their site now.

Does anybody here know what that piece is and what I'm supposed to do with it? I will appreciate any insight anyone is able to give me.

That tip is for the Knifty Knitters. :)

Archived