Athenian Scarf *** Now with Photo Tute***

Wibit

wow great! I tried broomstick with a large needle but found it quite tricky....(thats cause I hold my hook like a knitting needle, the freak I am! ) so I will deff have a go at leaving a loop rather than loading it onto a knitting needle! :)

Oh wow! Your work is just gorgeous. I hope by now you can wear your scarf for pleasure rather than for warmth! I'm too scared to try loops but hopefully one day I'll be able to attempt something like that.

Edited to add:

I just went back and looked at your link to the detailed "how to". Chain a long chain...yep I can do that. Sc in each st a couple of rows....yep, I can do that too! My confidence is growing, I'm already imagining what yarn I'll make this scarf in. Then I continue reading about big scary loops, somehow having 60 of these things on my needle :eek (is that a Tunisian needle?), and I'm breaking out in a sweat at the point where I have to take all the loops off the needle :2eek.

But I've saved the link for future reference...like a hundred years from now...:lol

Just had an awful thought that my previous post might have seemed insulting. I truly hope it was clear I was laughing at myself and my beginner crochet skills and not at your instructions. The step by step guide you gave is awesome and did make even me feel I could attempt this, thank you.

:wbrr:wangelBeautiful scarf. It is amazing how only a scarf around the neck can warm you up in the winter. I wear one around the house in the winter that way I don't have to keep the furnace blasting and run up the natural gas bill.

:wangel Fantastic Instructions....cant wait to try it...you made the broomstick stitch so basic I can finally give it a go...thank you for your generosity in sharing all your beautiful work and instructions

I just had a go at the broomstick stitch, I tried 24 stitches across for a scarf but after 20 rows or so I notice that my edges are really untidy and abit of a mess! yikes! I thought about making the scarf long ways instead but all the loops sort of scare me! I think I might try with the biggest hook I have and see how I get on....I love the stitch, its really different! :)

I have added a step by step photo tute here: http://littlegreen.typepad.com/romansock/step-by-step-broomstick-l.html

Cheers,

Brie

YEAH! I can't believe you did that without a broom stick needle. Too clever! I like this method a lot and think it will make some really pretty scarves. I can't wait to try it this weekend!

Archived