Felting and sewing help for Interweave Crochet Autumn 2007 Seaside Coat

incredifish

Hello there,

I'm making the Seaside Coat from Interweave Crochet Magazine, Autumn 2007 issue. it does say "sew after felting" too. There's going to be a few yards of hand sewing to work, and I don't have a sewing machine. The seams are on the inside and they are meant to be noticeable. Can anybody advice me on what stitch to use or how to work it?

I have never made a felted project before and I am a bit nervous. It's supposed to be only "lightly felted" and then sown. Can anybody help me a bit? I'm using Cascade 220, a very large hook and very open work. I've made two swatches. The first was too felted, (95º, long programme) the other one was still more felted (60º cotton prewash. Took ages! --I know, I know ). I have a front load washing machine so I can't stop the programme in the middle. What should I do? Should I wash it at low temperature (40º) several times, until I get some felting, or should I go for 60º on a short programme, or what?

I'm very nervous! It's a big project,a lot of yarn imported from the US and... (I was going to say many hours of work but, to be honest, this project is completed in a breeze. Hooray!)

Many thanks everybody.

I am sorry that I can't help you with your questions! I saw your post because I was looking to see if anyone made this coat...it is really beautiful.

Can you tell me what yarn you used? I was just on line looking for an alternative to the yarn suggested...it is a little more than I can spend right now...I am thinking of using a worsted weight by lion's brand.

Thanks!

Hello! I'm using Cascade 220 Quatro, it's variegated in shade of blue and brown. I actually bought it to make the "Prepster Jacket" from Stitch'n'Bitch The Happy Hooker, but since I had heard that Cascade 220 is so good for felting, I tried it with a small swatch and I was in love with the results, so I went for the Seaside Coat instead! The yardage with Cascade 220 is excellent (220 yards I think) so it's a tad cheaper than other options. Still pricey though - it's a big project! I'll send links to pictures when it's done, and you can tell me what you think. :)

You're right Sheila, I didn't express myself very clearly there. The seams are meant to be on the inside, so you won't see them. What I meant when I said they were meant to be noticeable is that you will be able to notice where they are. I don't know if they "melt" together and disappear when you sew them with yarn and felt the piece after it's put together.

About the public laundromat, it is a good idea. However, I live in a village in the lovely English countryside so I'm afraid there is not much to chose from! I'll see what I can find. Many thanks for the idea. :)

Thanks Sherryzzzzzzzzzz :) I think it'll take longer to sew the thing than to make it! I have completed the bodice (back and both fronts), the back skirt and the neck already. Four days! Don't you just love crochet??

If I don't give any life signals by next week or so, assume that I've ruined the thing when trying to felt it and banged my head against the wall hard enough to forget to write! ... Yes, yes, I won't put any of the pieces in the washing machine until I've tested the swatches, promise! Wish me luck :)

Archived