To frog or not to frog....a BICO

I made my daughter a BICO last year in about a size 4/5. I made the arms too long somehow, even though I measured, but it was no biggie as I just rolled them up once and they were fine.

Fast forward to this year, and she still wants to wear BICO (as she calls it), but the sleeves have grown to the floor and the sweater itself is too small.

I used Caron Simply Soft, and while it's not expensive, I really don't just want to throw the sweater out. And the sleeves are waaaay too stretched out to give away to someone.

So, is it possible to frog a sweater like the BICO and remake it?

I made it in stripes, so the yarn is going to be in lengths, so I will re-make it in stripes.

I had done it using two strands, and I think I'll use one strand of Simply Soft and one strand of a less "growy" yarn if I do remake it.

Anyway, has anyone ever re-made a garment for a child?

I would give it a try. If the sweater can't be worn or given away, then even if it doesn't work you aren't out anything. I think the idea of using the SS and another less stretchy strand is a good one. Good luck!

Sara

What you may be able to do is to (machine) sew around the arms at a length you want them to be and then - when the stitches are secure, you can just cut the sleeves. You can work sc over the frayed edges for tidiness and to keep them safe.

This is called steeks/steeking. yes it even has a name.

What you may be able to do is to (machine) sew around the arms at a length you want them to be and then - when the stitches are secure, you can just cut the sleeves. You can work sc over the frayed edges for tidiness and to keep them safe.

This is called steeks/steeking. yes it even has a name.

That is what I have done many times and it works very well. When you say the body part is too small do you mean too short or too tight?

HappyOldCro:

The body part is too tight, and the neckline is messed up, too, owing to my newbiness when I made it last year.

Buuuut, I could move the buttons over (there is enough room to do that), put some sc around the neckline and then steek the arms.

But that sounds as about as much work as just redoing it, since it's a BICO, and it only took about 4 hours for even slowpoke me to make.

I'll have to think about it. Knowing me, I'd sew the arms closed or something, lol.

Given that the Caron yarn is fairly reasonable, particularly if you use a coupon with it...

for me, it wouldn't be worth the time and aggravation to undo the sweater. Start fresh with either the same colors or different.

Joan

You could turn it into a really funky pillow by closing all the openings and stuffing it . I bet she would love that. Those long dangle-y arms would be a major design feature for the pillow :wlol

Ooh, a pillow...you are so clever Darski. I've turned an old baby sweater of hers into a stuffed creature, but I never thought about turning "BICO" (that's what she calls it, like it's name, lol) into a creature/pillow thingy.

Now I have too many ideas...

HappyOldCro:

The body part is too tight, and the neckline is messed up, too, owing to my newbiness when I made it last year.

Buuuut, I could move the buttons over (there is enough room to do that), put some sc around the neckline and then steek the arms.

But that sounds as about as much work as just redoing it, since it's a BICO, and it only took about 4 hours for even slowpoke me to make.

I'll have to think about it. Knowing me, I'd sew the arms closed or something, lol.

Too tight is hard to cure, no use steeking. Best best is to start again, and use original yarn to make some type of memorable item, like Darski suggested.

Archived