Impatient! Dry Faster!

xantha

I dyed a bunch of fiber tonight-- some of the knit picks color-your-own sock yarn along with a half-pound of some roving I had.

Now I am impatiently waiting for it all to DRY so I can swatch up the yarn and start playing with the top! (sure, I could work with it wet but that texture is something I generally find less than fun)

That said, the new neon food coloring puts out some really great colors! I know Kimberly posted her experience with it here. My colors are slightly different.

Here's a poor shot of the still-damp-and-now-re-hung-up-to-dry sock yarn (click on the image to see it larger):

DSC_1893.thumb.jpg

I can't wait to swatch it up! It should be self-striping but in fairly thin stripes -- purple, green, purple, turquoise.

The roving I did turned out much lighter. It wasn't labelled and I suspect that it was treated and bleached and therefore wouldn't take dye as well (I've had it for a while). The colors of it are all very muted, but I think it will spin up well.

Okay! Here's some of the roving I dyed:

DSC_1920.thumb.jpg

Here's a sock started with the sock yarn:

DSC_1944.thumb.jpg

Next time I will make longer sections of color; my estimates were awful for this. I still love the colors, though. :)

I think everyone who likes making socks and dyeing yarn needs to pick up some color-your-own sock yarn from Knit Picks. It's inexpensive and wow! Fun. :)

I think everyone who likes making socks and dyeing yarn needs to pick up some color-your-own sock yarn from Knit Picks. It's inexpensive and wow! Fun. :)

I was waiting to ask that when you got the socks finished. :hook I think it would be a great deal of fun to dye sock yarn. :)

Archived